Do you sell on ebay & wonder why you bother?

Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
Forum Member
✭✭✭
And sometimes wondering why you keep creating more stress for yourself?
I have a hobby that I cant afford to do unless I sell them. I go out my way to include about 20 pictures, communicate with the buyer as soon as they do the buy it now, by thanking them & letting them know I will post next day & supply tracking number. Which I do once it's posted, I get great emails from them saying how pleased they are, then they leave a positive remark (great ebayer, lovely item etc) under a negative feedback. New ebayers not knowing the way it works I guess. Then you get the ones where you dont post abroad as a rule, but someone asks nicely so you unblock that buyer & they pay the postage, you ask the post office for tracked post, they dont give you tracked post, only tracked until it leaves the Uk, so it ends up you cant provide proof it arrives, the item doesn't actually get there & you end up having to refund £150.
What hassles have you had with ebay that cause you sleepless nights? I am hoping it's not just me lately!

Comments

• GPWGPW Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very hard to make a profit selling dvds on ebay now, since you cant charge more then £1 postage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    A few years ago I tried to sell alot of my daughter clothes. She was into the Mary Kate & Ashley range which were selling well on ebay. I washed, ironed, packaged them up beautifully and never had one bid. Very disheartened.
    At the moment I have loads of playstation games and
    DVDs that I don't know what to do with. Is it worth selling them on E bay?
    By the way what's your hobby?
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jingles436 wrote: »
    A few years ago I tried to sell alot of my daughter clothes. She was into the Mary Kate & Ashley range which were selling well on ebay. I washed, ironed, packaged them up beautifully and never had one bid. Very disheartened.
    At the moment I have loads of playstation games and
    DVDs that I don't know what to do with. Is it worth selling them on E bay?
    By the way what's your hobby?

Playstation games sell extremely well, so it might be worth listing those. Just go out of your way to make sure they work, & state in the listing if they are scratched at all, even if they still work with the scratches. They know the score then. And everyone knows discs still work when they are scratched but I have heard of people getting negatives even though they worked but were scratched! The games console world does seem to be the dodgy side. I tried to sell a psp once, ended up with a non paying bidder, bought an xbox that didn't work, nightmare category tbh LOL
    I make reborn dolls.
  • bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering if it was worth selling some things?

I have so much football tops that are in really good condition.

I'd also like to totally clear out my hubby's stuff, he has some really nice things that he doesn't wear at all because they are far too big for him after he lost loads of weight.
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep thinking about selling stuff on ebay. I have loads of vintage clothes and jewellery. Also a Tiffany necklace that has never been worn and is still in the box (worth about £200).
    I wouldn't have a clue how to go about it...I usually take everything down the charity shop but am opposed to just throwing away the really good stuff.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who win a bid but don't pay by Paypal immediately but wait a week, until I send them a reminder. Also "watchers" some of my items get up to a dozen watchers, but then at the auctions end only one or no bids.:mad:
  • Skip_TechSkip_Tech Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not you

What gets me is when an item arrives damaged, and it can happen, the standard reaction is to blame the packaging - "you should have used 6 inch bullet proof titanium.."

If I ask them how it got damaged, the answer is "I dont know"

So in theory an arctic lorry loaded with Scots Pine could have rode over it but my packaging is still the issue?

Unless you know what happened to make it break then dont assume.

I know it is a natural reaction but once and a while can someone say "look I know its not your fault..."

grrrrr
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    People who win a bid but don't pay by Paypal immediately but wait a week, until I send them a reminder. Also "watchers" some of my items get up to a dozen watchers, but then at the auctions end only one or no bids.:mad:

Oh that might be me!!!

I didn't realise that the seller could see if you were 'watching' an item?

I do that because I want to know if I'm in with a chance at a good price for something.
  • Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    It's very hard to make a profit selling dvds on ebay now, since you cant charge more then £1 postage.

You're packaging them wrong. Stick them in an old Tesco bag with a second class stamp on it, and the address written on the back of an old Christmas card, sellotape it all up together and send.

If the buyer complains, tell them to take it up with Ebay as it is them who are imposing the £1 maximum postage rule.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am glad it's not just me then. Although that doesn't mean I want anyone to have problems!! If you sell the Tiffany necklace be absolutely sure it is genuine as they will get the hump the moment you list it anyway.
    Tiffany & ebay aren't a brilliant mix tbh.
    Football tops & vintage clothing are always worth a go though.
    I dont mind lots of watchers, that actually gives your product more visability on the site.
  • Skip_TechSkip_Tech Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and dont start me on about emailing ebay..

"Dear xxxx

Thank you for emailing Ebay, we take your concerns very seriously, we realise that being threatened with "imminent death by stoning" by a fellow ebayer is serious but have you tried to add them to your blocker bidders list? We are sorry that we dont get personally involved in disputes but are happy to take your fees to pay for our fancy London offices. Please dont hesitate to email again if you feel like banging your feking head up a brick wall. Love Chris Peacock, Ebay customer facilitator"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magic8Ball wrote: »
    You're packaging them wrong. Stick them in an old Tesco bag with a second class stamp on it, and the address written on the back of an old Christmas card, sellotape it all up together and send.

If the buyer complains, tell them to take it up with Ebay as it is them who are imposing the £1 maximum postage rule.

The postage caps are crap aren't they. You're right though, minimul recycled packaging is the way to go. Probably best to include some of the postage in the listing price though. Although that grates my cheese because ebay then get some of that in the final value fees!!! Thankfully there are no caps on postage so far with the item I sell. Packaging for mine costs about £3 per item! And I sure as hell aint paying that lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skip_Tech wrote: »

"Dear xxxx

Thank you for emailing Ebay, we take your concerns very seriously, we realise that being threatened with "imminent death by stoning" by a fellow ebayer is serious but have you tried to add them to your blocker bidders list? We are sorry that we dont get personally involved in disputes but are happy to take your fees to pay for our fancy London offices. Please dont hesitate to email again if you feel like banging your feking head up a brick wall. Love Chris Peacock, Ebay customer facilitator"

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skip_Tech wrote: »

"Dear xxxx

:D oh dear, so true...
  • ginockginock Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have sold a few items on Ebay and done well. I sold a Nintendo DS about a week before Christmas and made more money then I had expected, the same was the case for a phone. I know it can be depressing when you get no bids at all though. I think for a lot of people it is more of a business than something they do to raise extra cash though for me I always see it as a "well I don't need it so I might as well flog it" and that way I am not dissapointed to much. A friend of mine owns a antiques shop and looks on Ebay both selling and buying on a daily basis and has found it very useful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I gave up on eBay selling years ago. They take too much money, PayPal is awful for sellers and it's generally all in favour of the buyer.

I have bought a few things off eBay but I check to see if I can get them elsewhere first because I generally hate eBay. However, I like how you can use your debit card without having to withdraw money from your bank account, wait for it to clear, then pay for it.

I heard some sellers have to wait 21 days for their money to clear!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the stuff is most definately overpriced though (that's why I watch the things).

There was a beautiful coat on there the other day and I was so wanting it. It went for 65 quid eventually far too much for me to buy without seeing it.

Anyway I was in town the other day and saw the exact same coat (not in my size though (cry cry)) in a second hand shop for a tenner!! Same make and everything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only the new sellers that have to wait 21 days for their money, or unti they receive positive feedback for the item anyway.
    Their stars system is up the swanney too. I post items within 24 hours of payment EVERYTIME, never any different as I only work part time so can get to the post office everyday. And I post special delivery or parcelforce 24.
    Yet even though my stars are fine, it still only says 16 for postage time, yet 18 for the other stars. So someone or a couple of people must have marked me down for despatch time? I dont think I could physically get the item to the post office any quicker! lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the stuff is most definately overpriced though (that's why I watch the things).

There was a beautiful coat on there the other day and I was so wanting it. It went for 65 quid eventually far too much for me to buy without seeing it.

Anyway I was in town the other day and saw the exact same coat (not in my size though (cry cry)) in a second hand shop for a tenner!! Same make and everything.

Yes quite a lot of things are overpriced on there. I dont buy anything on there now unless it is supplies for my hobby. And that's only because most of those aren't readily available in Tescos for instance. And we dont have a hobby shop nearby. Clothes etc I dont bother buying on there anymore, they rarely fitted or were cheaper in town.
    I even used to buy stuff off the £1 rail in Debenhams & sell them on ebay for atleast a fiver! So I know how it works lol
    Forum Member
    Playstation games sell extremely well, so it might be worth listing those. Just go out of your way to make sure they work, & state in the listing if they are scratched at all, even if they still work with the scratches. They know the score then. And everyone knows discs still work when they are scratched but I have heard of people getting negatives even though they worked but were scratched! The games console world does seem to be the dodgy side. I tried to sell a psp once, ended up with a non paying bidder, bought an xbox that didn't work, nightmare category tbh LOL
    I make reborn dolls.

Thanks for that. I'm going to sort them out and try selling them.
    One thing I've noticed on Ebay is the price of consoles. Sometimes they go for silly amounts - a lot more than you can buy new in the shops for eg Argos.
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I've noticed on Ebay is the price of consoles. Sometimes they go for silly amounts - a lot more than you can buy new in the shops for eg Argos.

I bought an xbox 360, cost 120 pound. relised I could have got it cheaper new, without a stupid game I didn't want.
    Sold it on for 60 quid. never played the thing. I couldn't afford the games.
    Forum Member
    India_Rain wrote: »
    I keep thinking about selling stuff on ebay. I have loads of vintage clothes and jewellery. Also a Tiffany necklace that has never been worn and is still in the box (worth about £200).
    I wouldn't have a clue how to go about it...I usually take everything down the charity shop but am opposed to just throwing away the really good stuff.

I know a couple of people who are interested in vintage clothing who are always looking on Ebay.
    My cousin is heavily into WWII clothing (she goes to all the war weekends in full 1940's dress) and spends alot of money on ebay on anything vintage/collectable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do go for silly amounts that's true. I have a Wii here that doesn't get used, a black one, with a few games. But I am too scared to list it tbh as I know what that category is like. I paid £130 for it at easter in Sainsburys. I dont think I would get much for it on there, & they would bound to leave a neg or not pay, so I keep it, thinking I would rather have it gathering dust than have the grief from ebay lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm registered as a business seller on there, as I make to sell. Even though I rarely make a profit because supplies for my hobby cost what I make on sales basically. But thems the rules of ebay so I abide by them. But being a business seller means buyers can take the right p, believe it or not, months down the line.. So I limit what I sell these days.
    Forum Member
    They do go for silly amounts that's true. I have a Wii here that doesn't get used, a black one, with a few games. But I am too scared to list it tbh as I know what that category is like. I paid £130 for it at easter in Sainsburys. I dont think I would get much for it on there, & they would bound to leave a neg or not pay, so I keep it, thinking I would rather have it gathering dust than have the grief from ebay lol

I've just bought a WII and excericise board. i wasn't sure if I would use it after the novelty wore off and was looking on EBay thinking I could pick up one quite cheaply. I was surprised how much the second hand ones were going for. In the end got a good deal off the internet.
    Have a look on EBay and see how much they are selling for.