Options

What is the worse thing to have happened to you at your workplace?

Comments

• Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two people who worked in the same building (I was there accountant) have commit suicide. One had young children.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been assaulted at work, robbed at knifepoint, and once was dragged down a station platform by a suicidal nutter who "wanted to take someone with me".

The joys of working as a shop manager, and for London Underground.....:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    I have been assaulted at work, robbed at knifepoint, and once was dragged down a station platform by a suicidal nutter who "wanted to take someone with me".

The joys of working as a shop manager, and for London Underground.....:D

Sounds terrible :eek:
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching a patient bleed out on the operating table from a ruptured AAA and knowing that we could do nothing for him when the monitors went off.

Oh and worse things than that too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catching a paedophile in the middle of being a paedophile in the changing rooms of my old work is a sight that will haunt me forever.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    It pales in comparison to most of these but I once had my trousers pulled down in front of everybody.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being made redundant. Seems to be a growth culture just now.

I have had it 3 times. Being hustled out of a building with many others is not fun.

Not even a bin-bag. 'Come back next week' for your things.

If you have a job, in these times, no matter how bad, put up with it.
    If you like your job then that's a bonus.

I sympathise with you as my father and I have been made redundant and I miss my job a lot. I used to like getting up early in the morning and going to work and feeling that I have accomplished something.

For those in work cherish the fact you are in it as Robin rightly has said.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only done voluntary work so nothing apart from having rude customers blame me for the stuff being sold out, other people not turning up etc. Oh and ran a huge recycling bin into my ankle and twisted it the other week, it hurt for days :rolleyes:
    I'm surprised by the number of armed robberies and things mentioned in here, I always assume shop work is one of the safest jobs around. :o
    toastie wrote: »
    Boss had a heart attack in the office, awful. :(
    Did he live?
    Being made redundant. Seems to be a growth culture just now.

I have had it 3 times. Being hustled out of a building with many others is not fun.
    Not even a bin-bag. 'Come back next week' for your things.

If you have a job, in these times, no matter how bad, put up with it.
    If you like your job then that's a bonus.
    Really? Is that what it's like, I've never had it but always assumed they did it politely like when you left. :eek: Have seen a supervisor be made redundant from where I volunteer, and she was given a month's notice and a leaving party. :)
    our old boss used to fart al the time
    one day she was wearing a short skirt and farted and diarrea sprayed all over the floor that stank of fish
    the work experience girl we had in puked all over the photocopier when she saw it
    the boss went home and this old girl cleaned it all up and the poo had worms in it
    Did either of them ever come back? :eek:
    Tackomacko wrote: »
    catching a paedophile in the middle of being a paedophile in the changing rooms of my old work is a sight that will haunt me forever.
    What happened after that, did he get arrested? Well I presume it was a he.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm curious :o
  • Options
    SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Being offered a job there :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    My school work experience with a high voltage electrical engineering company, 5 years ago.

On the second day in, I went up to somewhere near Milton Keynes with the boss to activate a substation the company was installing at Honda.

Went into this room where the installation was situated. Coincidentally he told me to get out, just in case anything were to happen. He pressed this button to activate it, and it completely blew up! :eek:

He managed to get out but was quite badly burned! He had to go to hospital and I was stuck at Honda for a few hours.

Scared the shit out of me as well as put me off any career as an electrical engineer in the future!
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    What is the worse thing to have happened to you at your workplace?

I was asked to do things that I regarded as being highly unethical and unprofessional during the time of the Blair administration so I resigned and walked out - best thing I did. :)
  • Options
    BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    This post is one of the funniest that I've read in a long time, talk about the domino effect!! Thankfully, nothing this horrible/amusing has ever happened to me, my experiences at work are all totally mundane after reading this.

Thanks for the chuckle, Miss Georgie.

likewise, I laughed so much I had to come back and re bump the thread
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    As a trainee, being sent to the stores for a left handed screwdriver and a long weight.

:D

It was some initiation ceremony and part intelligence test.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brigon wrote: »
    Two people who worked in the same building (I was there accountant) have commit suicide. One had young children.

Things that bad at your place then
  • Options
    toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did he live?

I know it's an old thread but yes he did.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We ran out of teabags the other week.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It pales in comparison to most of these but I once had my trousers pulled down in front of everybody.

I'm sorry, but that made me laugh. Not because you had your trousers pulled down, but just the way it was worded.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Worst thing that happened to me was , I had to work.

Never got over it ,really..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One young lad comitted suicide-he was only 19,a few years younger than me at the time-that shook everyone up. I shall never forget the phonecall from a workmate to tell me as it was my day off. The assistant manager had to tell everyone at the end of shift,Im not sure how long he knew for and kept it to himself.
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just being mentally tormented, questioning my ability a lot. A certain teacher who thought she was above me (all teachers do think they're above us [IT Technicians]), continually complaining to my boss saying I was too vague or ignoring her when she asked for something, which I never EVER did and my boss knew that, but I had just recovered from depression and it didn't help me in the slightest. I still think she saw me as weak and purposely chose me to pick on or bully.

Now, I do what the others do and just let her wait, give it her back or completely ignore her. She has her phases, more bad than good and she's ALWAYS complaining, she's one reason I would actually quit my job even though I love it so much.
  • Options
    ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where do I begin lol:

For two years I had a useless boss who would stroll in at 10 finish at 5.15 (4.15 on a fri) who did NOTHING but be on the phone making personal phone calls.

Team meetings were riots....she used to assert her authority by having a go at everyone. Complaints made....nothing done.

I actually applied for another job...she refused to release me. Nearly walked out..felt like punching her but thought why should I have a minor crinimal covinction under my belt. I was also accused of breaching confidentiality by disclosing a girl who came to cover was writing suicidal notes. I was looking out for her...what if she did something?! It was not client details.

We got a new boss in Sept 2011...brilliant. The old boss got a promotion!
  • Options
    rehab_101rehab_101 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A sample of delights in my current job - several occasions of torrents of verbal abuse, being pulled into a room by a customer and pushed up against a wall (swift knee somewhere resolved that!), being threatened at knife point, twice have had someone climbing over the receptionist desk screaming that they would kill me whilst the police laughed on the other end of the phone, had an almost empty bottle of Courvoisier thrown at my head so they could 'fk me up and teach me some fkn manners', several death threats, I've been stuck in work at the polices request for 4 hours as we'd had to evict people and they wouldn't move from the front entrance as they wanted to teach us a lesson, and all whilst trying to smile politely. I work in a hotel btw, leaving on Sunday though thank goodness!!

My last job, I got robbed at gun point, and I thought that was bad at the time! Pah!
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody left the window open this past winter, still gives me nightmares.
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My worst experience was actually working in a call centre - I felt like a tiny cog in a machine - everything was rushed and competing against other teams - one of the managers was the loud tie unfunny jokes type, sorry couldn't a***l**k and laugh..... Hated the place, only place I've worked where I was watching the clock immediately I got in. Every night I went home and cried - then I just left a note on my desk and never went back - best thing I ever did. I walked right out of the machinery
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Broke my ankle at a Christmas party rates as one of my employment low-points!