Options

Leek and Potato Soup.

Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
Forum Member
Have been making leek and potato soup recently here's the recipe if anyone's interested and it's delicious ;)

Leek and Potato Soup :
One large leek chopped into 1" sections.
Three medium potatoes.
Chicken stock (Knorr chicken stockpot or cube).
Method;
Sauté Leek in a little butter about 2 oz. at medium heat
When colour changes to lighter add potatoes chopped into Approx. 1" pieces.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Sauté a little more for about a minute then add prepared chicken stock about 1 Litre.
Bring to boil then turn down to simmer for just about 20 -25 mins.
I liquidise it which makes it smoother, but you can have it rustic or unliquidised .
Lovely eaten with some crusty bread or a nice crusty roll.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make it often. It is also nice chilled = Vichyssoise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've found out you can add an onion or two if you like :)

but that is my own recipe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually use onion and maybe three leeks depending on size. I also prefer ham stock to chicken.
  • Options
    petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still to be convinced about leek and potato soup, but i'll give this one a shot - it seems much simpler than other I've seen!
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds very similar to how I make mine. I omit the butter and I don't eat bread anymore. I would swirl some plain yoghourt or half fat fromage frais on top as I serve it up.

I got some homemade soup out of freezer today and we had that for lunch. It was my own recipe vegetable and noodles. It had potatoes, sweetcorn, peppers, lentils, butter beans, onions and maybe a few other veggies I've forgotten ... and noodles. It was nice and thick and we enjoyed it. :)
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asda sell bags of the leek and potato ready diced for about 80p which saves some hassle. I spoon out some of the veg before blending and then add the whole pieces back in. Leek and potato is one of my favourite soups.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Needs bacon.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I make it as well and I think the secret is to have a nice stock and not to use too many potatoes or leeks.............

You don't want to end up with runny mashed potato !

One tip is to liquidise half of it and pour it back in the pan with the other half

That way you get thickening but it's still soup not mash !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Needs bacon.

Or crisped prosciutto on the top
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I think it's a wonderful winter warmer and one of my local cafes offers it during the cold months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Or crisped prosciutto on the top

It's up to yourself what you want to add. Would certainly make it even more tasty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I include onion and carrots, made a hue batch yesterday and froze some. Love stirring in a bit of crème fraice when I eat it. Absolute fave :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Homeward wrote: »
    I include onion and carrots, made a hue batch yesterday and froze some. Love stirring in a bit of crème fraice when I eat it. Absolute fave :)

Will maybe try some onion in it next time :)
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would spring onions work?

Does anyone body have a nice vegetable soup recipe? Never made soup before, but fancy giving it a go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    JJ75 wrote: »

Does anyone body have a nice vegetable soup recipe? Never made soup before, but fancy giving it a go.

To be honest, with soup - just go for it and experiment!

I typically start by frying off an onion (think spring onions would be fine), add whatever veg you fancy or have left over. Add stock - again, doesn't really matter - veg, chicken stock - whatever you have and simmer until veg is cooked. Whiz until smooth (or leave chunky if you prefer) :) Add curry powder if you want a bit of a kick. :o

You really can't go too far wrong....

The only time I haven't had success is with cauli/broccoli - but I think that's because I didn't cook it look enough and it was 'bitty'.

Good luck!! :)
  • Options
    Rocket QueenRocket Queen Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Needs bacon.

I like it on its own, but for my meat eater oh, I fry up chunks of bacon or if have any chicken left over chuck that in, with some garlicky croutons, best soup ever imo :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Give it a try!;) You have nothing to lose.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

You can't go wrong with soup. I use spring onions, leeks or fennel if I can't be bothered with onions.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer it with a ham stock:)

Just come across some variations on the interweb:

"The following may be simmered for 10-15 minutes with the soup after it has been pureed:

Fresh or frozen diced cauliflower, cucumbers, broccoli, Lima beans, peas, string beans, okra or zucchini.

Shredded lettuce, spinach, sorrel, or cabbage.

Diced, cooked leftovers of any of the preceding vegetables.

Tomatoes, peeled, seeded, juiced and diced."

Or you can just sprinkle some nice strong grated cheese on top;)
  • Options
    colgirlcolgirl Posts: 242
    Forum Member

I use broccoli stumps (I already use the florets in pasta recipe the day before) carrots, garlic clove, a couple of potatoes and an onion. Fry them all together then I add stock made from mixing half a veg stock cube with water, cook for 15 mins and then just blend. Really nice with crusty loaf.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to have a soup weekend I think!!

Thanks for the ideas, will give it a go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm going to have a soup weekend I think!!

Thanks for the ideas, will give it a go.

You have nothing to lose :) especially with some nice crusty bread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Sounds very similar to how I make mine. I omit the butter and I don't eat bread anymore. I would swirl some plain yoghourt or half fat fromage frais on top as I serve it up.

I got some homemade soup out of freezer today and we had that for lunch. It was my own recipe vegetable and noodles. It had potatoes, sweetcorn, peppers, lentils, butter beans, onions and maybe a few other veggies I've forgotten ... and noodles. It was nice and thick and we enjoyed it. :)

I love thick soup - very filling ;)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I prefer it with a ham stock:)

Just come across some variations on the interweb:

"The following may be simmered for 10-15 minutes with the soup after it has been pureed:

Fresh or frozen diced cauliflower, cucumbers, broccoli, Lima beans, peas, string beans, okra or zucchini.

Shredded lettuce, spinach, sorrel, or cabbage.

Diced, cooked leftovers of any of the preceding vegetables.

Tomatoes, peeled, seeded, juiced and diced."

Or you can just sprinkle some nice strong grated cheese on top;)
    More like a veggie soup than just leek & potato - which arn't actually mentioned :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    More like a veggie soup than just leek & potato - which arn't actually mentioned :D

Mine has no additions except seasoning ;)