Maleficent

Comments

• ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVED the film! Everything you know about the Sleeping Beauty story is turned on it's head. Great storyline. Angelina Jolie carries Maleficent off with grace and looks amazing in the catsuit. I don't want to give the plot away but it's great!!
  • MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    I saw it earlier today and honestly, I was quite disappointed. Angelina Jolie was good, the visuals were good, but they could have done much more with the plot - I expected it to be much darker (damn you Lana Del Rey) and for Maleficent's background to have taken up more of the film than it did and to have been explored it in greater depth. It was decent enough, but I have a feeling that this will end up being one of the most overrated releases of the year.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    52% on RT, dying a death. And did someone say 97 minutes, seriously if you can't fill that amount of time with magic.
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    52% on RT, dying a death. And did someone say 97 minutes, seriously if you can't fill that amount of time with magic.

It isn't magic all the way through. It's a real storyline that is enthralling (IMO).
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I saw it late last night and was very impressed. It's by no means a perfect film - it could have been a bit darker, and the three good fairies were quite annoying. But it's decent enough and Angelina Jolie is absolutely stunning in her role - she plays a blinder!
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reviews seem to be a bit mixed. Going to see it at the weekend. Hope I'm not disappointed. Been waiting three years for this! lol
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was never going to be darker than it is because it's a PG - it's being aimed at kids. Snow White and the Huntsman was a 12A - and I have to say I found Maleficent to be a better film. SWATH was all-over the place imo, and is rated lower on Rotten Tomatoes. It was supposed to be a spin off of the Disney animated classic, aimed at a similar audience.

The mooted Sofia Coppola Little Mermaid will be dark.
  • LaurawhittzLaurawhittz Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it today and loved it, Angelina Jolie is just fabulous in it! :D
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen it! I've just fallen in love with Jolie playing Maleficent. Since I was a fan of the character to start with, Jolie was the prefect actress to play her. Truly magical film. I want to see it again. Particularly love the Christening scene where she interrupts the proceedings. The costumes are superb, I want a cloak like hers. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Such a disappointment! I'm actually really annoyed that such an iconic character has been turned into some wishy washy baby sitter! Jolie looked stunning & was perfectly cast but I hated her accent & the rest of the cast were abysmal, why we're there Scottish accents appearing all over the place! & the less said about the good fairies the better!

This film had such potential & I came away feeling utterly let down!
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is going to be poor. It's a Disney film, though. They can produce any old rubbish and people will watch it.
  • AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this last night. It was okay. Angelina Jolie was the best thing about it - she really was the perfect casting choice.

The 3 good fairies were irritating rather than funny but there were some humorous parts.

I wish it was darker and believe it could have benefited from being more like Snow White and the Huntsman as it was clearly quite restrained by its need for a PG rating. It was still an enjoyable 90 minutes for the most part but I wish her character went in the opposite direction (the parts where she was bitchy and evil were the highlights).
  • LMLM Posts: 63,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what i keep hearing based on reviews and general peoplke

It seems the film aint great but Jolie is giving one of the best performances of her career.

Hmmm

I'll see for myself soon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already made 44 million in just a few days already apparently
  • J-StarJ-Star Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I pretty much echo what others are saying. Thought Angelina was fantastic but some of the other acting was dire. And Elle Fanning as Aurora didn't work for me, found her constant grinning and vapidness grating on me from the get go, realise that's more of how the character was written but something didn't sit right with her in this role.

Also I know it was a PG but did anyone else find some of the cgi for some of the smaller characters in the 'moors' a bit cbeebie esque?
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    Loved it ... Watched it in 2d.... scenery and effects epic ( similar to Hp, Narnia and Snow White) ....it was subtly uplifting and quite emotional....Angelina Jolie was so majestic and engaging.... and as promised it was a Disney film but not in cartoon.... viewable for all the family...telling a tale ...we all thought we knew ....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to seeing this :)
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot give enough raves about this movie :o !!! I loved it :)
    I don't usually see these kinds of movies or Disney movies to start off with but I'm so glad I watched it.

Angelina was just perfection in this role :kitty:. SO Good !!! She is an amazing actress. I don't want to give any spoilers BUT give it a chance.

I want to watch it again :D:D and I don't usually say that for a lot of movies. It WAS that good ;):)
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this yesterday and after what felt like 100 years of waiting to see it, it did not disappoint

The main reason I have been dying to see this film is because of Angelina Jolie, in my mind she was born to play Maleficent and boy she didnt disappoint she was perfect - I adore Angie, she is an amazing actress

Ella Fanning wouldnt have been my choice for Aurora - she was ok but towards the end of the film I started to find her slightly annoying (just like the 3 fairies)

Magical film

PS I want horns, a magic wand and a cape like Angelina's :p
  • *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a smash at the box office. $170 million gross worldwide!
    Can't wait to see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Clem* wrote: »
    It's a smash at the box office. $170 million gross worldwide!
    Can't wait to see it.

Just 10 million away from reaching it's budget

That's bloody great to do that in less than a week

I expect a total gross of maybe 400 million in total. Maybe 350/375?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally seen it
    Very disappointing. Jolie is incredible. But the actual script is very weak. Supporting cast were weak as well. It felt as if their wasn't a story to tell, when in actual fact, there needed to be.
  • Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I literally can't wait to see this :D I'm so happy that Angelina Jolie is getting rave reviews in her role!
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was fantastic. I wasn't disappointed at all. To look at its also one of the most beautifully shot films I've ever seen. The movie itself was exactly what it set out to be, A reimagining from Maleficent's view point. Its not like 101 Dalmatians where they basically made the film version of the cartoon. Maleficent is a whole new take on the Sleeping Beauty story but in film form. This is also Disney so it was never going to be Carrie with horns! lol

Angelina was incredible. I loved the true loves kiss twist although I had a feeling it was heading in that direction when she took Phillip to the castle. Elle was also much better than I had been expecting. When the first trailer broke I was worried about her English accent but she was actually quite good but I can see why some people had issues with her.

I'm not bothered by a few negative reviews from critics. Lone Ranger was ripped to shreds but is one of my top films of last year. I'm pleased its been such a box office success.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen it.....

I see it continues disneys crusade against the concept of 'love at first site'. Along with brave, and frozen. I think this is a good thing. Was expecting more of a backlash on line.

I didn't like that a major super-villain ended up as. Some low rent stalker/prankster. I understand the had to create a bond between maleficent and auroua, but they had to be a better way.

I though that turning the iconic sleeping beauty/magic knigdom castle to the side in the opening sequence was clever, (alway wondered how anyone got to the castle without a boat,) but to constastnly see the castle from that angel throughout the rest of the film was awkward....