Options

Three inTouch is finally here

Comments

• Options
    gardensleepergardensleeper Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once this app is out there, why would anyone need a Home Signal?
    I will look forward to unplugging mine!
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The website says you also can't use it outside of the UK so no saving on roaming using this I guess.

That's right.
    Hi

So we could be looking at a September/October launch??

Thanks

Baz

Since when did August mean September? :confused:
  • Options
    nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This app would be great to use abroad, shame they dont allow it.
  • Options
    jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was the point I made when she said the system won't allow it, I said I'd happily send the box back to enable App. But she's had to refer it back to the network team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nafanny29 wrote: »
    This app would be great to use abroad, shame they dont allow it.

Unless they Geo lock the IP addresses, it will work. Orange used to say UMA wouldn't work abroad but sure enough it works with no issues at all.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

Home Signal will still be superior imo. Especially if you're in a no service area at home.
  • Options
    MiyagiMiyagi Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people may still need Home Signal if they don't have wifi at home?
  • Options
    hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miyagi wrote: »
    Some people may still need Home Signal if they don't have wifi at home?

Hi

The Home Signal box needs to be connected to your home router, as most routers r wifi enabled, I see no reason why ppl wouldn't have wifi at home.

Baz
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People with older phones will probably still need a Home Signal box as Android 4.0 or above and iOS7 and above is required.

It will be released in August apparently so maybe everyone will get it in time for Christmas if we are lucky lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

The Home Signal box needs to be connected to your home router, as most routers r wifi enabled, I see no reason why ppl wouldn't have wifi at home.

Baz

Ah okay I didnt realise it was connected to a router, I thought it was just a signal booster :D
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the link is dead. says it's moved.
  • Options
    hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Just had a read through this info on the Three inTouch webpage:

Known issues with Three inTouch Beta.This is a beta version of the Three inTouch app, which means there are some bugs that we’re aware of. We’re already working to fix these for the official launch of the app, so don’t worry, you don’t need to let us know about them.

•Sometimes you may find that you can’t make or receive calls or texts, even when the app says it has a good connection. If this happens, close the app down and restart it. If you’re not sure how to fully close the app down, try restarting your phone. This can also be to do with location, so if restarting your app or phone don’t work, you may want to try again in a different location.
    You might find that not all your text conversations are stored in both your phone’s normal inbox and your Three inTouch inbox. We’ll fix this in the next version of the Android Three inTouch app, but unfortunately we won’t be able to change this on the Apple version of the app when it’s released. If you think you’re missing parts of a conversation, make sure you check both of your text inboxes.
    •We’ve found that sometimes calls will drop when you’re receiving calls over the app. We’re working on this, but if the other person tries again, it will normally then come in over your 3G connection, if you have one.
    •Some Android phones are picking up echoes on calls over Three inTouch.
    •When making or receiving calls using a hands-free kit with an Android phone, you might find that ringing sounds very loud and that voices sound quiet.
    •If you’re using an HTC One M8 or a HTC Desire 500, you might find that the app uses a lot of battery.
    •At the moment, the beep that plays to warn you of a poor connection sounds similar to the sound that plays when you have a call waiting.
    •When you’re on a call, if you have to enter a code into your phone, for example, if you’re calling a company or conference details, you may find that this doesn’t always work over Three inTouch.

Baz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Network team just called back, they've added it to my account.

An interesting thing he said whilst reading out the T&C's is that all calls made over wifi until 22nd July are free, and the beta ends on that date.

No calls to premium or international until after 22nd July.
  • Options
    planetf1planetf1 Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I called three and after some Q&A around times, locations (genuine... nothing at work for years) I was told i was eligible to join the beta and a link would be sent.

So far I have the general info link but not for download yet. Hopefully it will come once I'm provisioned :-)

Good call.. nice to speak to one person who seemed to be comfortable knowing what they were talking about
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you contacted three to be added, about how long after the call was it before you got an installation link?
    Did you receive a "for further information on three in Touch" message before, or after the installation link?

Thanks
    Nigel.
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no mention of info for Windows Phone customers. They have a terrible my Three app in the store which is just a web wrapper too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah just read this post --- it seems it's just a case of being patient. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=73238743&postcount=104
  • Options
    tigglepigtigglepig Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Three will wrap this all into the Wi-Fi calling that Apple are enabling in IOS 8. Although if they are then I can't see it being enabled on IOS devices in August as IOS 8 is unlikely to be out by then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had 3 calls back from Three this morning and the guy was very helpful, but still no download available for me - not too fussed, I have 1 bar of signal at home which is generally just about enough. He said he will call me back when I it is available for me, and I actually do believe him :)
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    They would care as they would lose out on roaming revenue. They're not losing any revenue when you're in the UK as it still eats into your allowance.

Indeed. The whole tone of this thread seems to be that Three are doing a favour. Instead it's the other way round - any calls made via wifi are saving them expensive cellular airtime.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    They would care as they would lose out on roaming revenue. They're not losing any revenue when you're in the UK as it still eats into your allowance.

Ah yes, I hadn't thought of it form that perspective.

Good point, well made! :D
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    Indeed. The whole tone of this thread seems to be that Three are doing a favour. Instead it's the other way round - any calls made via wifi are saving them expensive cellular airtime.

Let's not start that again. Yes, it helps them - but it also helps the user.

I've no beef with any operator that offers a way to improve a mobile signal indoors, whether it's a Wi-Fi calling app or a femtocell.

I can't even get Wi-Fi to every part of my house (and it's not a mansion!) but I can control that better than any mobile operator ever will. And I can always move my router, or set up extenders.

Think of all people in warehouses like faraday cages, or basements, or in the middle of a house in a room with no windows.

I honestly don't think that when any operator thinks of these solutions their primary focus is on saving money, but rather ensuring the customer has a better experience and, thus, remains a customer.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they can also give us WiFi on the London Underground, I'll be able to make calls whilst waiting at a platform on the tube.

I need to switch my SIM from my Lumia 920 to my iPhone (and put my vodafone sim into my Lumia).

Anyone know if Three and Voda will do sim-type changes for free? iPhone 5 is nano and Lumia is micro.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    If they can also give us WiFi on the London Underground, I'll be able to make calls whilst waiting at a platform on the tube.

I need to switch my SIM from my Lumia 920 to my iPhone (and put my vodafone sim into my Lumia).

Anyone know if Three and Voda will do sim-type changes for free? iPhone 5 is nano and Lumia is micro.

vod certainly do.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member

It doesn't use your allowance according to the Three website.
    Charges for Three inTouch.

Your calls will be charged in the same way as normal, which means they’ll either come out of your inclusive allowance or be charged at the same rates as you normally pay when using the Three mobile network. This is because your calls and texts still go over Three, your Wi-Fi just carries it to our network.

The app doesn’t use your Three internet data allowances to make calls or texts.