Will BBC walkout disrupt the Commonwealth Games

soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
Forum Member
✭✭✭
BBC staff are staging a one day walkout next Wednesday which is the opening day of the Commonwealth Games. Will the BBC have enough staff and technicians in Glasgow to make sure the Games do not get disrupted or do you think there will be a small chance of some events being dropped or shown as highlights rather than live?

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC staff are staging a one day walkout next Wednesday which is the opening day of the Commonwealth Games. Will the BBC have enough staff and technicians in Glasgow to make sure the Games do not get disrupted or do you think there will be a small chance of some events being dropped or shown as highlights rather than live?

BBC OBs were sold off some years ago so the crews are not BBC employees and unlikely to take part in any industrial action.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, so often throughout the years, we have heard that a BBC strike will mean Wimbledon, or the FA Cup, or the State Opening of Parliament, or Christmas Day viewing will be disrupted, and very rarely it is. Expect a full days vewing as scheduled,
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all the managers and under managers the BBC has there should be no difficulty in mounting normal service as usual, the unions know it and the BBC knows it.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The walkout affects BBC Scotland staff, so expect disruption to normal schedules on Radio Scotland. But it will have no effect on TV coverage of the Commonwealth Games.

Sunset and Vine is the host broadcaster for the CG. Most of the people working on it are freelancers, and practically none are union members.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol so the OB team covering the games arent directly employed by the BBC (except maybe the presenters/commentators who I presume arent part of the union thats striking.
    Then that signal will be sent to RedBee for playout again they are a separate company to the BBC now as are the code and MUX companies and the company that runs the transmitters!

So the BBC can broadcast the games without any of their own staff from camera to transmitter now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    The walkout affects BBC Scotland staff, so expect disruption to normal schedules on Radio Scotland. But it will have no effect on TV coverage of the Commonwealth Games.

Sunset and Vine is the host broadcaster for the CG. Most of the people working on it are freelancers, and practically none are union members.

Would it mean that BBC 1 Scotland and BBC 2 Scotland will join BBC 1 and 2 network for more of the time?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How has UNITE managed to get involved? I know they like going on strike but don't see how they are involved in the coverage.

The unions are quoted figures of around 80% voting for strike action but only 42% of BECTU members voted so leaves a lot who did not vote. NUJ are not giving figures for the numbers who voted which suggests it was low.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    How has UNITE managed to get involved? I know they like going on strike but don't see how they are involved in the coverage.

The unions are quoted figures of around 80% voting for strike action but only 42% of BECTU members voted so leaves a lot who did not vote. NUJ are not giving figures for the numbers who voted which suggests it was low.

There should be a law that says that a union cant strike unless at least 51% of members vote and vote for a strike, so if the turn out is lower than 51% the the vote is thrown out and if only 51% vote then it has to be a unanimous vote for the strike.
    I imagine that there would be less strikes, as the unions would have to convince their members that a strike is worth it!
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the main reason not to worry is that the strike ends at midnight on Wednesday and the Games don't actually begin until Thursday morning.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    lol so the OB team covering the games arent directly employed by the BBC (except maybe the presenters/commentators who I presume arent part of the union thats striking.
    Then that signal will be sent to RedBee for playout again they are a separate company to the BBC now as are the code and MUX companies and the company that runs the transmitters!

So the BBC can broadcast the games without any of their own staff from camera to transmitter now!

More or less, yes. The BBC is reduced to the role of a publisher, welcome to 2014. :D

As already said, the BBC are not responsible for covering the games, they are not the host broadcaster, so the situation is the same as it would be if the games were in another country. I suspect most of BBC commentators are non union, only those that are journos may not make an appearance for the games.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to know and even though it is only the Opening Ceremony on the Wednesday you just know there would be complaints on here if even one second of it was lost lol.

The walkout will affect BBC News more than regular programmes but they will probably just draft in freelance cover like they have done in the past.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Rodgers will probably host of the news, pity he is only seen during strikes as he is a good newsreader
  • Andy WalmsleyAndy Walmsley Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »

Yes, apparently its a consortium of Sunset & Vine and Global Television with "the support of 120 students" according to Bill Rogers blog
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the broadcaster of the Commonwealth Games is Sunset and Vine, and the BBC will like others use their feed, not sure if the strike will cause major problems.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Well I'll miss the Today program (they're a militant lot - lol:D) but other than that I doubt I'll notice:p

Enjoy your lie-in guys.
  • ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    There should be a law that says that a union cant strike unless at least 51% of members vote and vote for a strike, so if the turn out is lower than 51% the the vote is thrown out and if only 51% vote then it has to be a unanimous vote for the strike.
    I imagine that there would be less strikes, as the unions would have to convince their members that a strike is worth it!

It annoys me when people call for this given the shoddy turnouts in governmental elections over the years. (PCC elections being the best example of this)

Although I do agree with you that unions do need to communicate better to their members.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ElMarko wrote: »
    It annoys me when people call for this given the shoddy turnouts in governmental elections over the years. (PCC elections being the best example of this)
    Agreed. What's sauce for the goose etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ElMarko wrote: »

Although I do agree with you that unions do need to communicate better to their members.

Well I would make political voting compulsory like in Australia and big fines for ether not voting or spoiling your ballot paper (that would require that they trace those that did spoil ballot papers though, that is totally possible but currently illegal so would have to be made legal for this situation only!)
    This would ensure that the whole of the electorate has to vote and make a proper choice of whats there on the ballot paper!
    I think that employers would have to give their employees extra time off to allow them to vote if necessary on voting days, like say 1 or 2 hours less working time!
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That should be good for the Opening Ceremony coverage as they won't be much cut-away to BBC staff saying how good Glasgow is.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the strike goes ahead, the Regional News bulletins will be shortened in most regions and nations, and Newsnight will have a night off, but I doubt viewers will see any other difference.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    Well I would make political voting compulsory like in Australia and big fines for ether not voting or spoiling your ballot paper (that would require that they trace those that did spoil ballot papers though, that is totally possible but currently illegal so would have to be made legal for this situation only!)
    This would ensure that the whole of the electorate has to vote and make a proper choice of whats there on the ballot paper!
    I think that employers would have to give their employees extra time off to allow them to vote if necessary on voting days, like say 1 or 2 hours less working time!
    I do agree on one point about making voting compulsory. But they should have a place where you can put a cross that has stated, none of the above, that is if you don't like any of the candidates or political party's, you can say so.. As politicians are properly the most unpopular people at the present period of time. I could imagine that, none of the above, would have more votes than any individual candidate.
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I do agree on one point about making voting compulsory. But they should have a place where you can put a cross that has stated, none of the above, that is if you don't like any of the candidates or political party's, you can say so.. As politicians are properly the most unpopular people at the present period of time. I could imagine that, none of the above, would have more votes than any individual candidate.
    Ian.

If a 'none of the above' option was allowed there could still be a situation where more than 50% of people choose that option!
    So are their votes chucked meaning that essentially we would be in the same situation albeit that its recorded rather than those people not turning up?
    I think a radical change in the way candidates are able to get on the ballot paper is needed so there is more choice.
    How about that each political party pay an annual sum to the body that run elections UK wide and any party could then put a candidate up in any constituency instead of them paying a deposit, then for independents they could register themselves as a political party with one member and pay a light yearly rate allowing them the option of being put up as a candidate for a greatly reduced amount compared to now.

OK we could get some right loonies on the ballot paper in this way, but at least there would then be no need for a 'none of the above' option, if people dont like any of the main parties!
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    If a 'none of the above' option was allowed there could still be a situation where more than 50% of people choose that option!
    So are their votes chucked meaning that essentially we would be in the same situation albeit that its recorded rather than those people not turning up?
    I think a radical change in the way candidates are able to get on the ballot paper is needed so there is more choice.
    How about that each political party pay an annual sum to the body that run elections UK wide and any party could then put a candidate up in any constituency instead of them paying a deposit, then for independents they could register themselves as a political party with one member and pay a light yearly rate allowing them the option of being put up as a candidate for a greatly reduced amount compared to now.

OK we could get some right loonies on the ballot paper in this way, but at least there would then be no need for a 'none of the above' option, if people dont like any of the main parties!
    The problem is at the moment I don't trust many politicians, although I do vote and I think if someone dos'nt like any of the candidates he or she should be entitled to say, none of the above.
    And just to say I am a member of a political party.
    In Australia although voting is compulsory, anyone is entitled to spoil their ballot paper.
    Ian.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Well I'll miss the Today program (they're a militant lot - lol:D) but other than that I doubt I'll notice:p

Enjoy your lie-in guys.

I always miss Today when the strikes come but always hope that no-one breaks the strike as has happened in the past.

It's OK to have a day away from it anyway, just like the, in this year especially, short break we get from football.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It might result in people voting for the loonier parties, like UKIP, Liberals etc, just a protest.