Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,929
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    He could have contracts with Worldwide or Apple etc that demand secrecy; anyway saying Yes if there's nothing ready to go would have caused an online meltdown.

The point of the Q&A was clearly to say to people not to believe rumours that an announcement will happen in the near future.

I only really follow this thread but from what I could see things were dying down, interest was fading and most people had stopped expecting an announcement any time soon and then things like this Q&A and some ambiguous tweets stir things up again. I can't help but wonder what Phil Morris's motivations are in this...
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,203
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    One dismal interpretation would be that he has the cans but it's doubtful as to what can be usefully restored.

Well, whilst I think that possibility may have flown some months ago, I think that time might be up on that one. That's assuming PM has some returned material (not necessarily just DW) in his direct possession.

After all, it doesn't take months to open and check the cans of, say, half-a-dozen of the most desired programmes. The restoration - which he say he does at his end (at least the initial stuff) - could have been done months, maybe even years ago, on the most eagerly-awaited returns.

Of course, if the stuff is still abroad, then he may well not be sure about the restoration possibilities. But personally I don't buy the "it's in the UK but the delay is due to restoration factors" thing; stuff may well be in the UK, but the delays in even starting to produce further material (after EW, I mean) are not for that reason.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/08/planet-55-statement-070814100008.html suggests Underwater Menace isn't emerging any time soon.

:(
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/08/planet-55-statement-070814100008.html suggests Underwater Menace isn't emerging any time soon.

:(

There are rumours that the Underwater Menace DVD contains a reconstruction similar to Web of Fear 3 instead of animation.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a shame. I find the photo recons very challenging, and Mrs Chuff is reduced to gentle snoring within 5mins.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dick Fiddy of the BFI at the Missing Believed Wiped programme at the World Science Fiction Convention on Friday confirmed that they have no unreleased missing Doctor Who episodes.

The Restoration Team (Mark Ayres, Peter Crocker, Jonathan Wood & Steve Roberts) are appearing on Saturday.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I only really follow this thread but from what I could see things were dying down, interest was fading and most people had stopped expecting an announcement any time soon and then things like this Q&A and some ambiguous tweets stir things up again. I can't help but wonder what Phil Morris's motivations are in this...

JR Southhall said the tweets have no more meaning than he bought a smart phone and likes mucking about with it. Maybe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I've just been reading the DWB Compendium book from 1993, which has an article on The Feast of Steven, the lost Christmas episode from The Daleks' Master Plan.
    Heather Hartnell once recounted how the director, Douglas Camfield, so incensed at William Hartnell's adlibbed closing speech in which he wished viewers a Happy Christmas, gave Hartnell the original print soon after it was transmitted and in subsequent years the Hartnell family would ritually assemble after Christmas dinner to watch The Feast of Steven.

I wonder what happened to that copy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been reading the DWB Compendium book from 1993, which has an article on The Feast of Steven, the lost Christmas episode from The Daleks' Master Plan.

I wonder what happened to that copy?

It's a old rumour that's been denied. Ian Levine said he directly asked Hartnell's daughter about it and she said it wasn't true, or that they did have an episode/or part of one, but it was Flashpoint (The Dalek Invasion of Earth part 6).

It doesn't make sense anyway, if the Hartnell estate had Feast of Steven, why on earth would they be hoarding it?
  • golden-condorgolden-condor Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Thanks for a split second I was excited. Then I realised its probably just another dig at Ian Levine.

The tweet refers to the recovery of those episodes in the 1980s. Judging by some of the Twitter replies, they think that some duplicates have just turned up and returned to the BBC. They haven't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    It's a old rumour that's been denied. Ian Levine said he directly asked Hartnell's daughter about it and she said it wasn't true, or that they did have an episode/or part of one, but it was Flashpoint (The Dalek Invasion of Earth part 6).

It doesn't make sense anyway, if the Hartnell estate had Feast of Steven, why on earth would they be hoarding it?

Ah, what a shame - thanks for the info.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the whole buzz of a new doctor, If anything is being restored, It won't come out until at least after christmas.
    I do believe the episodes are out there, we just have to find them though.
  • golden-condorgolden-condor Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    With the whole buzz of a new doctor, If anything is being restored, It won't come out until at least after christmas.
    I do believe the episodes are out there, we just have to find them though.

I disagree. After the series has finished, there'll be a Missing Believed Wiped event held by the BFI. It would be the perfect time to announce something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh lordy. Twitter today.

Jesus wept.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Oh lordy. Twitter today.

Jesus wept.

Eh?? I want more than that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh?? I want more than that!

Look at the conversation Morris & Levine had. Preferably from behind the sofa.
    Forum Member

Oh dear...
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,929
    Forum Member

Good grief. I'm sorry to hear Levine's news but unless some tweets have been deleted it seems that he just let the cat out of the bag rather than Morris.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh no not again
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Good grief. I'm sorry to hear Levine's news but unless some tweets have been deleted it seems that he just let the cat out of the bag rather than Morris.

Someone saying Morris announced it on Facebook in a now-deleted post.
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a link to the Twitter conversation or a summary as I don't have an account please ?
    Thanks
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have a link to the Twitter conversation or a summary as I don't have an account please ?
    Thanks

Start here:

https://twitter.com/IanLevine/with_replies
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morris is now on facebook saying Pamela Nash was just a clerk and it was Philip Hinchcliffe who signed off the wiping of the Pertwee masters.

An odd day, to put it mildly.
    Forum Member
    Morris is now on facebook saying Pamela Nash was just a clerk and it was Philip Hinchcliffe who signed off the wiping of the Pertwee masters.

I think Morris has got issues, tbh.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this what Morris actually said?

So Nash has all of sudden just become a clerk, and nothing to do with wiping?