Queen Victoria's Children.

Comments

• DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amysmum wrote: »
    Totally forgot all about this. What channel was it on please so that i can find it on catch up.
    Thanks.
    It was on BBC2. A very interesting look at how Victoria was a total control freak where her daughters were concerned. When you get to the stage of telling your eldest daughter, married to a prince and living in Prussia, how she's to start her letters and what she's to write about, it tends to look a bit weird. When you later get yourself made an Empress just because that same daughter was in line to become an Empress and you don't want her to have a better title than you, then you've kind of gone seriously OTT. :D
  • racol5racol5 Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha watching Queen Victoria's relationship with her 9 children. What a totally selfish woman, pitting one child against the other for her own attention seeking ways (and the blooming rest....) This is a good portrayal of an extreme matriarch who at times makes their own children feel spewed out and used for their own selfish needs. What a nonsense parent she was.:(
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who would have thought a programme on a victorian monarch and her family would be must see TV.

I am glued to it !!! What an old cowbag she was. Amazed at least one of the nine did not try to bump her off .... she flipping deserved it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conchie wrote: »
    Who would have thought a programme on a victorian monarch and her family would be must see TV.

I am glued to it !!! What an old cowbag she was. Amazed at least one of the nine did not try to bump her off .... she flipping deserved it.

:D:D:D
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,226
    Forum Member
    Seems to be a bit of a hatchet job.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what made Victoria so grumpy:confused:
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I thought it was an archetypical lesbian until I saw the name. Very odd.

what was the name, I didn't catch it ??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    Seems to be a bit of a hatchet job.

No it wasn't, her letters to her children said it all....me me me:

V are not amused :(
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conchie wrote: »

Seems as though she was an utterly selfish woman
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    racol5 wrote: »
    Ha ha watching Queen Victoria's relationship with her 9 children. What a totally selfish woman, pitting one child against the other for her own attention seeking ways (and the blooming rest....) This is a good portrayal of an extreme matriarch who at times makes their own children feel spewed out and used for their own selfish needs. What a nonsense parent she was.:(

There are some attention seeking mothers who even try to do that with their grown-up children today. :mad:
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »

Well the first episode explained it. I suppose mainly it was lack of love from her own mother - left her with mental scars and not knowing how to relate to her children.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »

From what Ive read about her she was a right one ;)when she was married to Albert loved the "physical" side of marriage.
    When Albert passed away she was never the same again
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    From what Ive read about her she was a right one ;)when she was married to Albert loved the "physical" side of marriage.
    When Albert passed away she was never the same again

Maybe she would have been kinder to them all had the Rampant Rabbit been available back then....... she probably wasn't a bitch at all.. just madly randy !
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I must say I've warmed to her Daughters after watching part 2, catch up with the thread responses later, in the middle of a WWII doc.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,381
    Forum Member
    This is my type of programme - love the history of the Royals. Would love to know who & where all the descendants of all of V&A's children are now, but be 100s!
    Forum Member
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    Shocking to hear that Victoria didn't like her babies, describing them as frogs. She wasn't a great beauty herself but her children in paintings looked quite attractive altough somewhat miserable with down turned mouths.
    How sad that Vicky was married off at the age of seventeen. But It seems a good series and I am looking forward to the second installment tonight.
    I was quite interested that the names given to Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie were named after Queen Victoria's daughters and granddaughter.
    I wonder which other names could be left for Prince William and Catherine to pick. Maybe Elizabeth is reserved for them to choose.

I was left wondering why none of the Royals chose to name any of their children Victoria, perhaps Victoria forbade it! :p
    Forum Member
    Is that historian a man or a woman? I know it's inappropriate, but I'm curious... :o

His name is Matthew, but there is something androginous about him...........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some attention seeking mothers who even try to do that with their grown-up children today. :mad:

Too f%*King right and this 2nd program seems to show that Miss Queen V made it a habit of a life time. What a shame for her daughters, what a bitch and I quite naturally feel :mad: at her too. I don't care if this was 100 odd years ago, how she behaved was simply selfish and by all accounts was realised then as it most definitely is now.

Extreme matriarchs are to be avoided if you know whats good for your health. It's a life time of mental manipulation and one of drudge. I feel sorry for her daughters asking for help and not getting it. Their trying to grow up and be independent and being punished several years later for not 'obeying she who should be obeyed', what a ''right man syndrome'' existence.

V was nothing more than a Queen with power who scared the hell out of her daughters by her misery and power. Funny how V shuddered when one of her daughters was about to become an Empress. Any normal mother would have been proud.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that Lucinda Hawksley, the great great great granddaughter of Charles Dickens, was one of the experts on this show.
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    daisydee wrote: »
    This is my type of programme - love the history of the Royals. Would love to know who & where all the descendants of all of V&A's children are now, but be 100s!

While I was watching the programme, I was keeping track of who everybody was by looking in the royal family tree in "The Royal Houses of Europe" by Jacques Arnold : "The Family Tree of Queen Victoria" ISBN 0-9533-2211-4. It was published in 1998, so it is slightly out of date, but it has virtually full details of all her descendants, of which there are about 1,200.
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I thought it was an archetypical lesbian until I saw the name. Very odd.

I was wondering if he was perhaps transgender, but I did a bit of googling and found out that Matthew Dennison is married and lives in North Wales. I guess he's just got a bit less hormone than most men. Interestingly he studied English (not History) at University and has also written about Roman emperors.
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnloony wrote: »
    I was wondering if he was perhaps transgender, but I did a bit of googling and found out that Matthew Dennison is married and lives in North Wales. I guess he's just got a bit less hormone than most men. Interestingly he studied English (not History) at University and has also written about Roman emperors.

Really ? I would have bet a fair bit of dosh he/she was a girl.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this programme fascinating and have just finished reading all the profiles of the princesses on wiki, will read the princes after the programme tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    daisydee wrote: »
    His name is Matthew, but there is something androginous about him...........

Indeed very androdigenous, he sounded a bit like the jewellery clad dealer on Dickinson's Real Deal.
    Forum Member
    Really ? I would have bet a fair bit of dosh he/she was a girl.

I found this (it says so on the internet, so it must be true):
    http://www.capelland.com/pages/authors/index.asp?CID=17