Options

Plot to replace PM denied

Comments

• Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    RacerWelsh wrote: »
    Interesting how Dorries name keeps popping up in articles by journalists today.

Its the sort of thing she would blab to a passing journo too.

Has she even been formally re-instated yet?
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Has she even been formally re-instated yet?

No. :D

One serial rebel said: ‘If I wanted to get rid of Cameron, the last person I would back would be the kind of idiots who launch a leadership campaign in one of the Prime Minister’s most successful weeks. It’s deranged.’

Another MP added: ‘Some people don’t realise how loopy they look to everyone else.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2269292/Tory-coup-turns-farce-Millionaire-MP-touted-new-leader-forced-declare-loyalty-Cameron.html#ixzz2JGpHxwZD

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is why I think its Mad Nad behind all this - Daily Mail links and her favourite MP colleague.

This is why the woman is toxic to be seen and associated with - Mr Afriyie should distance himself very quickly.....

I guess Sir George Young is still not convinced to give her back the party whip yet - hence the frustration......
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there any credible challenger to Cameron who might get flushed out by this ?

I mean if you're Liam Fox or David Davies do you start worrying that you might get left behind if you don't start a low level discreet campaign now ?

I can't see Liam Fox as a credible challenger..........after all, he is a disgraced former minister who was forced to resign because of impropriety.............surely he's going to need 10 years to rehabilitate himself ?

David Davies might be past it now and seen as 'Yesterday's Man'

Grant Schapps has a very high opinion of himself and i reckon he could be a contender, but way too smarmy to appeal to the public ?

Jeremy Hunt used to think of himself as a future party leader and he is very affable and likeable but how much was he damaged by Murdoch-gate even tho' he kept his job

I think Grayling could be a dark horse

Obviously Osborne would be favourite if Cameron resigned, would Hague have another pop ? Theresa May ?

Not that i think any of this is going to happen.................:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Is there any credible challenger to Cameron who might get flushed out by this ?

I mean if you're Liam Fox or David Davies do you start worrying that you might get left behind if you don't start a low level discreet campaign now ?

I can't see Liam Fox as a credible challenger..........after all, he is a disgraced former minister who was forced to resign because of impropriety.............surely he's going to need 10 years to rehabilitate himself ?

David Davies might be past it now and seen as 'Yesterday's Man'

Grant Schapps has a very high opinion of himself and i reckon he could be a contender, but way too smarmy to appeal to the public ?

Jeremy Hunt used to think of himself as a future party leader and he is very affable and likeable but how much was he damaged by Murdoch-gate even tho' he kept his job

I think Grayling could be a dark horse

Obviously Osborne would be favourite if Cameron resigned, would Hague have another pop ? Theresa May ?

Not that i think any of this is going to happen.................:p

May is too old imho. As is Ken Clarke.

If Cameron gets his wish and stays in power until 2020 (I can't see it, but say he does) then I can see it going to someone like Chloe Smith (I've said before, I think she's being groomed to be PM one day).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Which is why I think its Mad Nad behind all this - Daily Mail links and her favourite MP colleague.

This is why the woman is toxic to be seen and associated with - Mr Afriyie should distance himself very quickly.....

I guess Sir George Young is still not convinced to give her back the party whip yet - hence the frustration......

She seems to be one of the leading lights of a group who have been dismissed or never appointed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another slant on Afriye

Many of those most hostile to Cameron are those who feel that he hung them — or their colleagues — out to dry during the expenses scandal. They feel that he didn’t show them loyalty in their hour of need, so they owe him none.

Afriyie has capitalised on this expenses discontent. As Chris Hope points out in The Telegraph, Afriyie — who has claimed no expenses himself — has set himself up as an MPs’ champion on the matter, as someone prepared to fight for the interests of parliamentarians on this matter. His push for flat-rate allowances has been extremely popular with MPs who are fed up with the bureaucratic and, some say, demeaning system operated by IPSA.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/01/why-is-adam-afriyie-being-touted-for-leader-expenses/
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,876
    Forum Member
    I'm suspecting that someone has stiched Adam Afriyie up here and used him as some kind of political cannon fodder here.

I base this on that whenever I see him get up to speak, I don't see or hear much support from other Tory MP's while he is speaking and I have seen some Tory MP's have bad looks on their faces when he is speaking so I cannot see why they would suddenly support him as a stalking horse unless it was for the reasons I'm suspecting! :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Adam Afriyie stitched up as a warning to other would-be Tory rebels? http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/01/was-adam-afriyie-stitched-warning-other-would-be-tory-rebels

Dorries was nagging at various media people on twitter earlier today at the fact she was named, deny she was any ring leader or leading spokesperson - in that case, should have kept her gob shut then.

The leaking of Adam Afriyie's plot suggests that the Tories' dirty tricks machine is firing once more http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100200367/the-leaking-of-adam-afriyies-plot-to-topple-cameron-shows-that-the-tories-dirty-tricks-machine-is-firing-once-more/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was Adam Afriyie stitched up as a warning to other would-be Tory rebels? http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/01/was-adam-afriyie-stitched-warning-other-would-be-tory-rebels

Dorries was nagging at various media people on twitter earlier today at the fact she was named, deny she was any ring leader or leading spokesperson - in that case, should have kept her gob shut then.

The leaking of Adam Afriyie's plot suggests that the Tories' dirty tricks machine is firing once more http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100200367/the-leaking-of-adam-afriyies-plot-to-topple-cameron-shows-that-the-tories-dirty-tricks-machine-is-firing-once-more/

Her gob has no off switch.

She was going on about him at length on Sunday morning saying how much she has in common with him, and how they are both people from humble origins who have made it.

I agree with you that Cameron's camp were well aware of her capacity for disloyalty and plotting have fired off a broadside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    May is too old imho. As is Ken Clarke.

If Cameron gets his wish and stays in power until 2020 (I can't see it, but say he does) then I can see it going to someone like Chloe Smith (I've said before, I think she's being groomed to be PM one day).

Thatcher was fifty when she became leader of the Conservatives. And she had not had as much experience as May has to date. May is only 56.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the Labour smear machine behind this. Labour is in trouble. The conservatives are united and Ed's lead has been halved and looks hollow. What they do is find a speech from a backbencher that includes the line "If I were the prime minister" Then get a couple of friendly media types to put about the rumor. Next thing you know the conservatives percieved as split.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the Labour smear machine behind this. Labour is in trouble. The conservatives are united and Ed's lead has been halved and looks hollow. What they do is find a speech from a backbencher that includes the line "If I were the prime minister" Then get a couple of friendly media types to put about the rumor. Next thing you know the conservatives percieved as split.

Fortunately Mad Nad has been bigging the wannabe PM up so that alone will ensure that no one takes her or him seriously. The kiss of death.

But Labour must be seeking to claw back ground lost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Thatcher was fifty when she became leader of the Conservatives. And she had not had as much experience as May has to date. May is only 56.

True, but that was in the 70's. Politics nowadays, for better or worse, is getting younger. Chloe Smith is a bit too young at this point though lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=RacerWelsh;63920185]Was Adam Afriyie stitched up as a warning to other would-be Tory rebels? http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/01/was-adam-afriyie-stitched-warning-other-would-be-tory-rebels

The leaking of Adam Afriyie's plot suggests that the Tories' dirty tricks machine is firing once more http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100200367/the-leaking-of-adam-afriyies-plot-to-topple-cameron-shows-that-the-tories-dirty-tricks-machine-is-firing-once-more/[/QUOTE]

I haven't read the links but its what I posted 2 hours before your post, its what I suspect is the case.

First Bob Stewart is mentioned now Adam Afriyie? They both seem to me to be 2 quietish MP's who get on with their own thing like and I think they have both been thrusted forward like without even being consulted in a political canon fodder way.

Both MP's have denied they want to stand as a stalking horse candiadate too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »

?????? Thatcher had been Education Secretery in Ted Heath's Government before ousting Heath in what was it 1975?

May had not served in Government before 2010 so I think Mrs T was more experienced actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    True, but that was in the 70's. Politics nowadays, for better or worse, is getting younger. Chloe Smith is a bit too young at this point though lol.

Well the retirement age is going up and up so in relative terms she is about the same age as Thatcher.:)
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Labour smear machine... Labour in trouble..Tories united" Jackanory, jackanory. Talk about a deluded post. This is just a starter for ten of the Tories infighting. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Don't agree with any of that and I think Tory supporters in general are kidding themselves on Ed Milibands good position on not wanting a in/out referendum. Lots of people don't want a referendum as they want and expect the polticians to do the leading and thinking for us on this.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Labour smear machine... Labour in trouble..Tories united" Jackanory, jackanory. Talk about a deluded post. This is just a starter for ten of the Tories infighting. I'm looking forward to it.

The party of Campbell, Draper and McBride isn't above smearing others. You'll be claiming Ed balls doesn't brief against his rivals next.
    As for the Conservatives. They went from being split on Europe to being united behind thier leader over Europe.
    Meanwhile: Labour had a10 point lead halved. Put themselves on the wrong side of the electorate by coming out against a referendum, and, with the economy stagnant, can only manage a 10 (now 5) point lead. The've fallen into the trap of believing that bad news for the government automatically translates into support for them. I'd say they were in trouble.
    If you want to keep you head in the sand thats your business. It doesnt mean you're right no matter how much you wish it were.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As for the Conservatives. They went from being split on Europe to being united behind thier leader over Europe.

they're only united in that they all want a fight and cameron gave them a timetable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    they're only united in that they all want a fight and cameron gave them a timetable

Also I doubt it will be long before those back bench MP's will want to know exactly what Cameron is going to try and re negotiate on and what if they want more?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Also I doubt it will be long before those back bench MP's will want to know exactly what Cameron is going to try and re negotiate on and what if they want more?

None of this can happen now because the civil service cannot be used for Conservative business.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The party of Campbell, Draper and McBride isn't above smearing others. You'll be claiming Ed balls doesn't brief against his rivals next.
    Meanwhile: Labour had a10 point lead halved. Put themselves on the wrong side of the electorate by coming out against a referendum, and, with the economy stagnant, can only manage a 10 (now 5) point lead. The've fallen into the trap of believing that bad news for the government automatically translates into support for them. I'd say they were in trouble.
    If you want to keep you head in the sand thats your business. It doesnt mean you're right no matter how much you wish it were.

The reality is no one has much faith in either party - they've both failed the country miserably for years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »

Immediately after his speech I posted that he'll get a few days as the 'new Winston Churchill' .........the saviour of the nation !

Then the campaigning and in-fighting within the Tory party will start in a week or two

Basically all he's done is fired the starting gun................at the moment all the Tory MPs cheer him, but they're cheering him for firing the starting gun not because they want him to win the race