Options

Would Bill Roache and Michael Le Vell being guilty lead to the end of Corrie?

djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
Forum Member
✭✭
This sounds contraversial, but both characters have been an integral part of Corrie history for years

If Bill and Michael are guilty, then the writers would completely erase any memory of their exsistence, which would be incredibly stupid

Comments

• Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    No. It would have already happened if so because the allegations are as good as 'guilty' as far as the media are concerned anyway.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Corrie would still carry on successfully without them, I highly doubt just because those two might end up with a guilty verdict Corrie would end.
  • Options
    moosymiss02moosymiss02 Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    They won't be found guilty anyway - rape convictions are low to start with and in Bill Roache's case you're talking over 40 years ago...

But doesn't mean they are innocent. ;)
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they've lost stars before and carried on and they will do again 'if' it happens, no one star is bigger then the show and I do believe that, Corrie is a ensemble piece and will carry on regardless, personally I don't see them coming back regardless of the outcome, the damage is unfortunately done.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one is bigger than Coronation street.
    Actors have come and gone over the years and it just gets better.
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say they are an integral part of the show, I've not missed either of them to be honest and if found guilty they can be easily written out. An actors actions will never cause the downfall of the show its far too big and established
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had to laugh at the title and the creator being djfunnyman :D

All they will do is replace the characters by using Harry Enfield scouser character as a replacement for Kevin Dripster and Richard Gere as Ken Borelow!
  • Options
    BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it will still carry on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    kevin will probably be written out that he has fallen for one of his dads nurses or something and will just be making a telephone call to Sally to say he wont be back
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it will carry on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Both of them were ' bit part actors', so I very much doubt it would be the end ;)
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, obviously not. Why should it? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    No, I don't think so. It would damage it, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Roache and Le Vell are guilty, then it would lead to no purpose for the rest of the Barlow and Webster clans. Deirdre and Sally would have no characters to interact with if Ken and Kevin left

If the whole of 2 families left, then 2 new families would be introduced who could struggle to gel
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It shouldn't, but it depends on how many fans Bill has. For about four years now, Ken just seemed to be part of the background. He hasn't been in any big storylines for a while now. I haven't even noticed that he's not there anymore. The same goes for Kevin Webster as well. I think it's the characters that are always involved in big storylines that are remembered the most. I catch bits of Coronation Street when mother watches it.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    If Roache and Le Vell are guilty, then it would lead to no purpose for the rest of the Barlow and Webster clans. Deirdre and Sally would have no characters to interact with if Ken and Kevin left

If the whole of 2 families left, then 2 new families would be introduced who could struggle to gel

The scriptwriters could always bring in someone that's supposed to be a relative of the family. They couldn't do this for Sally as well though, that would be too obvious in the sense that it would look too much like they were doing it because of these court cases. They would have to think of something else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The scriptwriters could always bring in someone that's supposed to be a relative of the family. They couldn't do this for Sally as well though, that would be too obvious in the sense that it would look too much like they were doing it because of these court cases. They would have to think of something else.

They should do this for the Webster's rather than the Barlow's, as there's only Sally and Sophie on the street at the moment
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Life goes on. Look at Len Fairclough - didn't Peter Adamson have to leave because of a swimming pool incident involving a child? The street carried on

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-95683/Streets-shamed-Len-Fairclough-dies.html
  • Options
    QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soaps move on quickly, even if big names leave
  • Options
    davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anything can damage the show to the extent that it would end - maybe another half dozen stars being guilty of the same kind of crimes might damage it but the show can still go on.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    No, obviously not. Why should it? :rolleyes:

^^^this! Totally agree OJ.:)
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewi26 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say they are an integral part of the show, I've not missed either of them to be honest and if found guilty they can be easily written out. An actors actions will never cause the downfall of the show its far too big and established

Exactly.

Seriously, a programme that has been going 50+ years being brought down by a pair of actors? Not in a million years. Corrie (like other soaps) is an ensemble piece, no one is really the 'star' - though some might think they are!

The only thing that will bring it down in the end is consistently poor ratings.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Coronation Street hasn't been harmed by these scandals thus far - it is still quite comfortably the most watched soap on TV. I doubt that will change as a result of them being found guilty. The show is far too big to allow something like that to destroy it.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    This sounds contraversial, but both characters have been an integral part of Corrie history for years

If Bill and Michael are guilty, then the writers would completely erase any memory of their exsistence, which would be incredibly stupid

I shouldnt think so! Corrie itself is an institution.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,199
    Forum Member
    It didn't end when really great actresses like Doris Speed and Jean Alexander left.

William Roache is one of the most boring actors in the show, and I don't think that Le Velle would be missed. They could easily be written out, and maybe Dreary could become a merry widow.;)