Diarrhoea

CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm used to having a few cramps, wind & nausea which my GP and I suspect to be due to IBS but recently the dreaded diarrhoea has become a bit of an issue.

Often my food feels like it goes straight through me which was annoying in itself but now it's this & I'm beginning to feel I should just move into my loo

Anyone experience this also?

:mad:

Comments

• bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    at times when i had crohn's disease
    constant diarrhoea, large amounts of gas, abdominal pain - not nice

these days when i get diarrhoea i use L. acidophilus capsules
    i suggested these to a friend of mine who has IBS and he finds them helpful
    of course he did discuss using them with his doctor
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus_acidophilus

i wouldn't recommend stuff like probiotic yoghurt, waste of money in my opinion
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you find Imodium helps, the generic name is Loperamide Hydrochloride tablets 2mg; get from a chemist and a fraction of the price of Imodium.

or Ebay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.Xloperamide&_nkw=loperamide&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Imodium £2.50 for 6.
    Loperamide £2 for 15!
  • Blaise19Blaise19 Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Homeopathic aloe cured my IBS, which was exactly as the OP describes. Don't suffer alone; back to the gp and look at the options.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a common food you're eating when it flares up?
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this - doctor couldn't find the cause. Camera couldn't find the cause but ruled out the usual culprits. Self-diagnosed as a yeast infection. There are various treatments for this but be careful what you try. I used a 1/4 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate dissolved in water, morning and night for a week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    With the problem growing worse, this would be a good time to have the issue checked out by a physician. Best to try and get a handle on the problem before the area becomes overly inflamed. With a little luck the problem can be quickly diagnosed.

A common first steps that will likely be asked of you to do is to trial avoiding wheat and dairy products for a few weeks. Both are two of the more common problematic foods for causing stomach duress. You might give that a try on your own to see if it helps.

I eat wheat free due to gut issues, and have found this a helpful sight for meal ideas and information. Best of luck!

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the replies & tablet suggestions etc.

I stupidly left out the fact that I try not to eat any dairy at all (of course some slips by but I have soya milk & avoid cheese) Have done since I started feeling nauseous a lot of the time. I've noticed that other things can make me have symptoms too like coffee sometimes (even with soya milk). It's weird though as sometimes I try a bit of dairy and I'm fine but then the next time I have it, I get nausea/ cramping

This could all be stress related though, as I am quite an anxious person in general but I'm convinced food plays a part somehow too.

My poor stomach :(
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Captiva wrote: »
    With the problem growing worse, this would be a good time to have the issue checked out by a physician. Best to try and get a handle on the problem before the area becomes overly inflamed. With a little luck the problem can be quickly diagnosed.

A common first steps that will likely be asked of you to do is to trial avoiding wheat and dairy products for a few weeks. Both are two of the more common problematic foods for causing stomach duress. You might give that a try on your own to see if it helps.

I eat wheat free due to gut issues, and have found this a helpful sight for meal ideas and information. Best of luck!

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

Ah yes, sorry also left out the fact that I did do a food diary for a while but it wasn't really conclusive. GP prescribed some peppermint capsules as we didn't really know what was going on. I think they suspect stress related IBS.

Wheat free for a while is an idea but I'm puzzled as wouldn't I be getting a significant reaction after bread etc. I have multiseed bread but I've not had any reason to pinpoint that so far. hmm

I've been like a frigging wind turbine today (in private :p)

I wish I knew what was going on in my own body :mad:
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I'm used to having a few cramps, wind & nausea which my GP and I suspect to be due to IBS but recently the dreaded diarrhoea has become a bit of an issue.

Often my food feels like it goes straight through me which was annoying in itself but now it's this & I'm beginning to feel I should just move into my loo

Anyone experience this also?

:mad:

On the odd occasion.

Oddly enough, I find poor posture when eating can result in severe stomach cramps - with the expected consequences.

Also, if I don't chew enough (ie properly mix food with saliva) it can go straight through me.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to my world.

I've had diarrhea constantly for the past five years.

I gave up trying to figure out what makes it worse and what helps ease it a long long time ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I occasionally suffer too - charcoal tablets are a godsend. They absorb excess gas relatively quickly (about an hour), so particularly useful if you have an appointment looming and want to be 'blocked' for a period of time!