How old where you when you first needed glasses?

Comments

• nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    7!

I got them for looking at the blackboard and watching TV. This was in 1991 and I refused to wear them at all, so when watching TV one day I noticed when I moved my eyes it hurt, and because I hadn't worn them for what they wanted me to I basically screwed my eyes.

I then went in about 2002 to see about contacts and they said no because my prescription was too bad, but then in 2005 I got them but the monthly ones I had to remove every day, now I wear the ones that are in your eyes for 30 days and you sleep in them etc.
  • Bex7t6Bex7t6 Posts: 1,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww Bex - my Mother was a flamin' toddler - long sighted and wore glasses at eighteen months.

Same thing with my neice, who looks incredibly like her Grandmother.

Long sighted, both.

I'm short sighted, like my Father - goodness' I didn't have a chance.

I could have been younger but I know I started school at 4 and I was wearing them before then. Was bad enough being called all the insulting names one who wears glasses gets lumbered with, but once you get a train track brace in your teens, the fun really begins:D
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    It was character building stuff.:) Not to mention the plastic sandals and duffle coat.:D

:D:D:D - Lol. Together? Surely not?
  • AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 51 when I started to need off the peg reading glasses for all types of print and I also found I had to use a magnifying glass to read the colour codes on resistors. (part of my job)

I was quite happy with "pound shop specials" but after a couple of years of the wife complaining they looked "cheap and awful" she marched me to the well known optician chain I "should have went to" (did you see what I did there) for an eye test to discover not only was my sight deteriorating due to my age but I also had cataracts in both eyes, so right eye has been operated on, I will probably need the left done soon (cataract not as advanced)

So if you find you need "ready readers" get an eye test just to be sure.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    It was character building stuff.:) Not to mention the plastic sandals and duffle coat.:D

I remember wearing the crappest and most ugly hot pants an' all.

And they didn't suit me:D I was ten or something.

Hey ho eh?:)
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    :D:D:D - Lol. Together? Surely not?

He He!.Nah,i'm mixing up the Summer and Winter.Duffle coat and toggles defo Winter.
    I remember something(in the 70's) to do with the clocks going back.We had to wear a white sash with fluorescent lollipops on it when going to school in the morning.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember wearing the crappest and most ugly hot pants an' all.

And they didn't suit me:D I was ten or something.

Hey ho eh?:)

You are 'Hotpantshelen' from C4 Forums!.:D
  • sibooboosibooboo Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 8, I had pink NHS ones. Hated wearing them as there was a stigma (four-eyes etc) Got contacts when I was 16, RGPs, they last 1 - 2 years. But since I've turned 40 I've started wearing my glasses more in public, about 50% of the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    11, I remember getting my first pair in year 7.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    I was 11 when i first needed some. I did stop though after a few months , i didn't get used to them the first time round & that was for a few years. But then around 14 or so after my eyes getting worse because i wasn't wearing them i got some more. My eyesight is not as bad as my sister's so i only see the opticians every 2 years. For us it is genetic i think so many of my family wear glasses. My aunt from my moms side , i think my late grandad wore some to at certain times. and on my dad's side i think my uncle does as does my dad , me and my sister. My mom now wears glasses for reading. But i blame my dad especially :p

Mine isn't bad , i was told i don't need to wear them all the time just seeing things far away but this was years after i was wearing them so i wear them all the time because everything is a bit blurry without them plus i am comfortable. Its my darn left eye that is the problem , everything is blurry out of it.
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was about 11 when I needed glasses for reading, but now I'm older I'm short sighted lol. Not much, but my astigmatism makes things blurry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My late 40s. I couldn't pass the eyetest at my yearly medical. I now wear varifocals all the time.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Precisely the same age both my parents were when they got them - 47. I had 20/20 vision most of my life so it was a total shock to suddenly be longsighted and struggling.
  • Bex7t6Bex7t6 Posts: 1,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sibooboo wrote: »
    I was 8, I had pink NHS ones. Hated wearing them as there was a stigma (four-eyes etc) Got contacts when I was 16, RGPs, they last 1 - 2 years. But since I've turned 40 I've started wearing my glasses more in public, about 50% of the time.

I got my first lenses when I was about 22-23. Like you now I am close to 40, I often wear my glasses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    floozie_21 wrote: »

21 years later and I can't see beyond my nose without my glasses or contacts now.
    Same thing. Except for the contacts bit; I've tried twice but I always have them dropping off or going blurry.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 25 when I got my first pair of glasses. They were fine until I turned 40 and then I found I was struggling to see things close up so I got some varifocals but I can't get on with them so they gave me some reading glasses but it's a massive pain in the arse to take off one pair of glasses to put on a different pair all the time.
  • saffron_starsaffron_star Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About 11 when I realised I couldn't see the blackboard.
    Am now -9 in both eyes so ridiculously short sighted with astigmatism and double vision.
    My eyesight is totally rubbish!! I can't even read the top letter of the reading thingy at the opticians. Yes that bad...
    I wear daily disposable contact lenses which are stupidly expensive but I love, love, LOVE them.
    Now in my forties,...and hoping not to need reading glasses too soon!
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10. I can remember very vividly having my eyesight tested, and marvelling at the long distance clarity and focus that lenses could deliver. The optician let me stand on the threshold of the premises, and I remember looking up and down that high street, in the late '70's, with absolute wonderment. Until then, I'd developed lots of coping strategies, such as recognising people from a distance by the way they walked, as I couldn't see faces clearly.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    I was long sighted for a while in my early thirties, which corrected itself, I started wearing glasses for reading about three or four years ago at fiftyish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    I first found out I needed glasses earlier this year (at 23). It wasn't that I couldn't see things clearly as such, it was more that I had lots of headaches, and at work when I had to plot graphs on my computer I found it stupidly difficult to concentrate on the lines and had to double-triple-quadruple-quintuple check every point I plotted, which wasted a lot of time (which there isn't a lot of when you work in an NHS hospital!!). Went to that well known optician we all should have gone to, including Postman Pat, and found out I am far sighted. Only quite mildly but now I wear glasses I can really tell the difference when I don't! I think I really should have had my eyes tested when I started Uni at 18 because that's when I noticed the headaches and slight difficulty concentrating on graphs, but I thought I was just stressed out because of Uni :P
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I have worn them from about the age of 13, I'm now 43. I wear them to correct one of my eyes which 'wobbles' and takes longer to focus, so it causes me headaches.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,890
    Forum Member
    Thirteen.
  • blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 6, and had a lazy eye/squint in my left eye, and have had two operations on it, and have been wearing glasses for so long I can't remember when I didn't wear them.

Never liked the black NHS ones, so always had the brown, been through numerous pairs of differnt designs over the decades, and now I have bifocals, but at times even though I'm short sighted I can see better without glasses, such as now. :D
  • 5432154321 Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    18m when I couldn't walk through a door and kept bumping into the door frames. Horrible memories of the NHS ones. Thank goodness they're so much better now! Can't wear contact lenses and laser surgery not an option for me.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I had great eyesight for ages, but now need reading glasses for reading small print. Got my first pair at about 48 or so. Like others, I get headaches and feel eyestrain if I try to read without them. I use cheap Aldi glasses, and even a pair I bought for 50p at a local bookstore.