Job Seekers Allowance over summer holidays

waterlooenderswaterlooenders Posts: 98
Forum Member
Hi, I've tried looking on various places and forums and each place is giving different answers - his might be because of everyone's different circumstances so I thought I might ask my self.

I'm currently a Scottish student about to leave college and I'll be starting university in September. I've been trying to get a job with no luck - no where near me is looking sadly and I'm still trying now.
But as a last resort I would try to get Job Seekers allowance - would I get this as I am in between institutions? I am over 19 so my parents don't get child tax credit..

The weird thing is, someone from the council told them last year that I should have claimed it over last summer (I did have a temporary part-time job anyway)? But everywhere I look is saying that's wrong.

Thanks.

Comments

• angelbabyxangelbabyx Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd get it as you won't technically be in education. But you won't be seeking 'full time' work either... so you cannot say you are really when you'll be starting at uni? I dunno.
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Have you looked at this?...https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/overview

On first glance it appears you can claim support which will be around £57 a week which is paid fortnightly. There is an initial face to face 'interview' once your claim has been submitted. You will need ID and need to sign the job seekers agreement. Then it's usually once a fortnight you have to sign on. Then it's paid by bank transfer into your account. a few days later. All the info is in the link above and the sub-sections. You can ring them up too and and find out. Freefone number is shown in 'How to Claim' sub section of the above link.
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Once you leave college you will probably be entitled to Jobseekers as you won't be in full time education. The day you start Uni you will of course have to sign-off as it's full time education.

You can go to college part-time but have to tell them of your hours etc.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's one crucial thing that isn't mentioned most places online. If your parent(s)/guardian(s) are claiming child benefit for you, you 100% won't get JSA. Ask them if they've called to cancel it, if they haven't then you will turn up for your interview, if you get someone savvy they will tell you it's not payable and your choice to go ahead or not, or they will simply put it through for processing and at that point you'll receive a letter telling you nil entitlement.
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are entitled to claim and if for any reason they say no then there will be a reason and you can challenge it, can't see why you wouldn't get it though as child benefit not paid . You can look for full time work but it would be short term