Options

When will BT, Sky and others turn off their ADSL service?

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I don't. I think broadband over only copper lines will eventually die out. FTTC is slowly starting to spread across Britain and I'd say that most of this nation could have FTTC within about 3 years. FTTC is becoming more and more popular/well known across Britain.

Tell that to the people who can't get ADSL yet or if they do they get not much better than dial up.

Money will run out before everyone gets FTTC and as I have said before, our Exchange have been enabled for nearly two years and yet some parts of the city are still not connected.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Tell that to the people who can't get ADSL yet or if they do they get not much better than dial up.

Money will run out before everyone gets FTTC and as I have said before, our Exchange have been enabled for nearly two years and yet some parts of the city are still not connected.

I didn't say that all of Britain would have it, but that most of Britain could be on FTTC connections within the next 3 years. Whichever party gets put in at the next election, they might invest in this broadband technology in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say that all of Britain would have it, but that most of Britain could be on FTTC connections within the next 3 years. Whichever party gets put in at the next election, they might invest in this broadband technology in the future.

the money have to be there and while we are getting some places being FTCC enabled, due to council, goverment and Tv licence money, that will only be done if there is enough people in a area to make it worthwhile. It is no good putting FTTC in a village with say 30 people in.

I know someone who lives in a place with just under 800 residential premises and they are doing FTTP/C, it got a RFS date for the end of June, but still nothing.
    I can't see FTTC being doen for much less than that.

so what do you do about the ones who will not get FTTC? you can't take ADSl off them, as then they would have no broadband at all. I know wireless technology works ok, I use it myself and 4G when it becomes available, but it depends on the prices.

Providers may at some point in the next few years start to take people of ADSL and put them onto FTTC, but as i said before, if they do that then they have to lower the price.

Then what about capacity? I know of someone who can't get FTTC because there is no spare capacity, not around here mind you. I been told there is plenty of capacity at the cabinet I would be connected to. which is strange as ADSL is not great here, I would expect a load of people getting FTTC for the faster speeds.

At the end of day, none of us knows what is going to happen next year never mind in 3 years time. Someone may come out with something that will replace fibre and be better, or make FTTC cheaper and faster.
    you just don't know.

i think we should wait and see, just like I am going to wait util August/September to see what is happening to the network I am on. for the last week, mine have been running fine, so hopefully they have sorted things out.
    I getting over 11 Megabits at the moment, which is not bad considering it is only suppose to be 10 and at this time of day I expect a lot of businesses are using the network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the money have to be there and while we are getting some places being FTCC enabled, due to council, goverment and Tv licence money, that will only be done if there is enough people in a area to make it worthwhile. It is no good putting FTTC in a village with say 30 people in.

I know someone who lives in a place with just under 800 residential premises and they are doing FTTP/C, it got a RFS date for the end of June, but still nothing.
    I can't see FTTC being doen for much less than that.

so what do you do about the ones who will not get FTTC? you can't take ADSl off them, as then they would have no broadband at all. I know wireless technology works ok, I use it myself and 4G when it becomes available, but it depends on the prices.

Providers may at some point in the next few years start to take people of ADSL and put them onto FTTC, but as i said before, if they do that then they have to lower the price.

Then what about capacity? I know of someone who can't get FTTC because there is no spare capacity, not around here mind you. I been told there is plenty of capacity at the cabinet I would be connected to. which is strange as ADSL is not great here, I would expect a load of people getting FTTC for the faster speeds.

At the end of day, none of us knows what is going to happen next year never mind in 3 years time. Someone may come out with something that will replace fibre and be better, or make FTTC cheaper and faster.
    you just don't know.

i think we should wait and see, just like I am going to wait util August/September to see what is happening to the network I am on. for the last week, mine have been running fine, so hopefully they have sorted things out.
    I getting over 11 Megabits at the moment, which is not bad considering it is only suppose to be 10 and at this time of day I expect a lot of businesses are using the network.
    If there's enough people in an area to have ADSL/ADSL2+ installed, this might be enough to have FTTC. If most of Britain doesn't have FTTC by 2017, then it might look like they're not going to get FTTC at all. You can do a lot in 3 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's enough people in an area to have ADSL/ADSL2+ installed, this might be enough to have FTTC. If most of Britain doesn't have FTTC by 2017, then it might look like they're not going to get FTTC at all. You can do a lot in 3 years.

I think ADSL is a bit cheaper to install than Fibre. ADSl normally is done at the exchange closest to the village, Take the one where this person I know lives, with nearly 800 premises, they got a small exchange, so the ADSL equipment is there, but with Fibre I been told that the fibre will be from Hereford Exchange which is about five miles away. It may not seems a long way, but I bet it is to blow fibre down.

I presume they will use the channels already made for normal phone wires, but I am not sure.

You take that for a smaller village, some in the middle of nowhere, the cost will increase.
    Of cause technology gets better, and cheaper and this will reduce the cost.

Don't get me wrong on this, I would love every one to be able to get a decent speed broadband, so they can do what they want and not the measly 2Mb/s that the government says everyone should be able to get.

If it can't be done by fibre, then wireless is the best way to go, but it have to be affordable. We was told that we would not have fibre in Hereford until 2016, it happened earlier, If BT did not keep putting the date back here when we was told it was going to happen, I may not have been using the service I am now. I may have gone for FTTC.
    But then again to be honest, I was not that interested, my ADSL, while it was a bit slow, it did the job, I could watch Netflix, even if it was at a lower quality.

So I may have stayed as I was until Coms decided to buy out ADSL24 last year, I may have changed then

The fact is that Allpay could offer me a better service and it would cost me more or less the same, in fact take line rental out and it was cheaper. I updated from 5 to 10Mb/s a few months after which took the cost back up to what I was paying with ADSL24 and line rental.

i like the idea now that I am off the BT Network, away from Bloated toad and other large companies with their naff customer service, where I get transferred to someone in India who can only just about speak English.
    i like the fact that I am supporting a local company as well.

But don't get me wrong, if it fails to do the job, then I will look elsewhere. one day I may have to if i need to save money, but at the moment, I am staying as i am.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I've ever needed broadband customer service in the past. It could just be that I've been lucky enough to have not had any problems with any ISP that I've been with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I've ever needed broadband customer service in the past. It could just be that I've been lucky enough to have not had any problems with any ISP that I've been with.

Then you are a lucky, saying that I only ever needed to get in touch with CS once when I was with ADSl24 and the problem I had was not their fault.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    Then you are a lucky, saying that I only ever needed to get in touch with CS once when I was with ADSl24 and the problem I had was not their fault.

No most people don't have broadband faults. It may feel like they so when you hang out on Internet forums but the reality is the majority never have to contact their ISP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    No most people don't have broadband faults. It may feel like they so when you hang out on Internet forums but the reality is the majority never have to contact their ISP.

Maybe, but some just put up with rubbish and never complain even if they are not getting the service they should be getting. I seen it happen.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe, but some just put up with rubbish and never complain even if they are not getting the service they should be getting. I seen it happen.

Most people are happy with the service they are getting. As long as they can send emails, go on Facebook and watch catch up telly/Netflix etc they are happy.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can't you make a positive contribution for a change. I'm pretty confident that its not just me who's sick of your constant moaning and complaining about anything and everything. Your posts are depressing. Lighten up or ship out and give all a break.
  • Options
    packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By 2016 everyone in Jersey will have fibre running past their houses. This will have been a long process and that is just for an island 9 miles by 4. installation into the house is free if you get it undertaken at the time.

So for such to occur for the UK in full... Many years...
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By 2016 everyone in Jersey will have fibre running past their houses. This will have been a long process and that is just for an island 9 miles by 4. installation into the house is free if you get it undertaken at the time.

As you say Jersey (lovely island by the way) is small but the UK is a lot bigger and upgrading the infrastructure will take time and money.

We were amazed when our cabinet was upgraded to FTTC as early as it was given its semi rural location and so few houses. A BTOR engineer did say that as the lines from the main exchange needed upgrading they sorted out fibre at the same time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Most people are happy with the service they are getting. As long as they can send emails, go on Facebook and watch catch up telly/Netflix etc they are happy.

That is the problem, they do not complain about the service they should be having.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nice, if the price is right.

Many, many years.

FTTC is a halfway house and to be honest if people get a pretty decent speed out of it, will do what most people want.
    Just need to improve some of the copper network that connects the from the cabinet to the premises.

But I have seen some good speeds with FTTC,, one that gets more than what she pays for, I have no idea how that works out. Her ISP may notice one day and lower it :)

But I have seen what fibre can do, i mean pure fibre, not FTTC and the speed is blistering, the problem is a lot of home networks would not cope.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is the problem, they do not complain about the service they should be having.

Read my comments again.....

THEY ARE HAPPY WITH THE SERVICE THEY RECEIVE.

Why on earth would they complain?
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile in London, one of Asia's largest telecoms companies; the PCCW Group; has launched the Relish service of upto 65 Mb for £20pm. It's delivered via householder's electricity cables so no landline nor line rental required.
    https://www1.relish.net/
  • Options
    eyponeypon Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Meanwhile in London, one of Asia's largest telecoms companies; the PCCW Group; has launched the Relish service of upto 65 Mb for £20pm. It's delivered via householder's electricity cables so no landline nor line rental required.

Did you even read the website? thats not how its delivered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It looks like it uses 4G. which is ok but the unit to accept these 4G signals is indoor, and from what I been told 4G can be a bit hit and miss indoors.

Broadband via electric cables have been tried before and the results have not been great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Read my comments again.....

THEY ARE HAPPY WITH THE SERVICE THEY RECEIVE.

Why on earth would they complain?

Because they may get better. If you get a service that is the best you are going to get, then not worth complaining, but if the service is not as good as it could be, even if it does what you want, then complain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eypon wrote: »
    Did you even read the website? thats not how its delivered.
    I accept that my interpretation was wrong and apologise for my ignorance. After reading Noise's helpful post I now realise that it's delivered solely by 4G.
    I appreciate you may have been exasperated by my woeful technological ignorance. However, I would suggest that it is more helpful to forum members for you to spend your time sharing your insights and explaining what the correct situation is as oppose to criticising the poster but not advising what the correct situation is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I accept that my interpretation was wrong and apologise for my ignorance. After reading Noise's helpful post I now realise that it's delivered solely by 4G.
    I appreciate you may have been exasperated by my woeful technological ignorance. However, I would suggest that it is more helpful to forum members for you to spend your time sharing your insights and explaining what the correct situation is as oppose to criticising the poster but not advising what the correct situation is.

LOL, I take it that it is delivered by 4G, that what it looks like.
    i wonder how they can do it that cheap, I thought 4G was pretty expensive.

TBH, I think the best way for wireless broadband at the moment is something like what I am using, dedicated systems.
  • Options
    eyponeypon Posts: 345
    Forum Member

you are seriously trying to turn this on me?

just read the main site page you linked it says clearly how it works

not my fault you can't take 10s to read a page.

FAST FIBRE BROADBAND WITHOUT WIRES
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eypon wrote: »
    you are seriously trying to turn this on me?

just read the main site page you linked it says clearly how it works

not my fault you can't take 10s to read a page.

FAST FIBRE BROADBAND WITHOUT WIRES

It looks like I didn't explain myself properly. This is my key point:

Forums aren't just for two people, they're for thousands of people to read, learn and contribute to.
    If someone makes a mistake - especially a stupid one - then please correct the answer for the benefit of the forum (including me) and not just post a rhetorical response.
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Richard_T wrote: »
    When will adsl be turned off? there are still a handful of people still on dial up.

Very true, a friend of mine still uses a 56k modem on a single core Athlon 2800XP and FreeUK (1p a min charged to your phone bill) dial-up