Shockingly bad performance from Fleur East

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think she was that bad from what i could hear, but the performance had the backing track way too loud problem. If an adqueate sound enginner had been mixing wouldn't have her vocals drown out.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahcs wrote: »
    First time I'd heard all the words to that song. I never knew it was "Killer Thriller" at the end of the chorus. :D

I never noticed either - so what is the song about, someone going on a killing spree :confused::o
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahcs wrote: »
    First time I'd heard all the words to that song. I never knew it was "Killer Thriller" at the end of the chorus. :D

I didn't know either and I've must have heard the song more than 100 times over the last 30 years :D:D
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    *Jupiter* wrote: »
    I don't think she was that bad from what i could hear, but the performance had the backing track way too loud problem. If an adqueate sound enginner had been mixing wouldn't have her vocals drown out.

the backing track is "way too loud" specifically to drown out her own singing so the weakness of her voice doesn't get too exposed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I agree that Fleur's vocals were weak in that song and the performance/production pretty much saved her. However after finding out that Fleur is actually from the same town as me i have had a change of heart and my opinions of her may be more biased now lol :). I think she is the first ever contestant in the finals who is form Walthamstow too. But i dont see her making the top 6 if she doesn't work on her voice because her performance and dancing will only get her so far.
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of rubbish being written on this thread, but i am not surprised to be honest. It's obvious what some peoples motives are on this forum.
  • riannerianne Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is not many people who can maintain their best singing voice while dancing. Mel B was right her vocals were compramised but if you factor in the performance you do have to give her some credit :)

and this is why cheryl mimes when she is perfoming 😊
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    sali9362 wrote: »
    I agree that Fleur's vocals were weak in that song and the performance/production pretty much saved her. However after finding out that Fleur is actually from the same town as me i have had a change of heart and my opinions of her may be more biased now lol :). I think she is the first ever contestant in the finals who is form Walthamstow too. But i dont see her making the top 6 if she doesn't work on her voice because her performance and dancing will only get her so far.

What a strange reason for supporting someone? On that basis I support Stereo Kicks because they all sing badly, the same as me!
  • EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vocals were very weak - shaking all over the place. Fleur has a very limited range - when she is given material within it she is great as her performance is fantastic and it more than compensates. While the dancing and performance was good, it wasn't THAT spectacular.

I hope she stays in though as she is one of my favourites and is the one who stands out for me with pop star potential. I also really like her attitude, very positive. One thing that did strike me was that I felt Mel B was a bit reluctant to criticise after the little meltdown from Simon about her "cheating" comment. I think that was blown out of all proportion and distracted from Fleur herself as it became all about the judges. Not fair.
    Forum Member
    Fleur isn't even my favourite act and vocally she is one of the weakest she isn't even in my top 3 so it's not like i am a strong supporter of her. What i meant to say was that it is nice to finally have a contestant representing my area on the x factor for the first time. I actually have been judging the contestants based on vocal ability and for that reason my favourite is Paul. If i was basing it on where they live i would say Fleur but i am not.
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    sali9362 wrote: »
    Fleur isn't even my favourite act and vocally she is one of the weakest she isn't even in my top 3 so it's not like i am a strong supporter of her. What i meant to say was that it is nice to finally have a contestant representing my area on the x factor for the first time. I actually have been judging the contestants based on vocal ability and for that reason my favourite is Paul. If i was basing it on where they live i would say Fleur but i am not.

Paul is becoming my "favourite" in the sense that he is way less shit than the rest of them. Problem is this show conceals everyone's true musical identity (even if they have one)
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really cant understand people keep harping on about her vocals. If she was belting out the songs these same people would be saying that she was screeching, as they did with Hannah last year. Ellie Goulding has very soft vocals, and she is doing really well.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,259
    Forum Member
    Her vocals were a little shaky at the start, but got better, I thought that was Fleur's best performance, I luved the dancing, and the zombies. :D
    Forum Member
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    Paul is becoming my "favourite" in the sense that he is way less shit than the rest of them. Problem is this show conceals everyone's true musical identity (even if they have one)

Im not really happy also with Simon's treatment of Paul over the past few weeks he has been unecessarily harsh and then he gets stick for speaking about not liking a song that mel has selected for him which hes has every right to do. Then Simon makes it seems as if he is really ungrateful for being on the show >:(
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a performance it was the best the X factor has seen in years! It was like a guest performer. Fleur is an entertainer like Janet, Jlo and Madonna! The visuals is just as important as the vocal but fleur doesn't hide behind anything she goes out and sings live. A true visionary and will have a successful career as IMO she knows exactly the artist she wants to be
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Fleur but last night was about style over substance and her worst performance vocally.

She needs to get back to what she's good at rather than allowing BF to turn her into a copycat act
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CARA2000 wrote: »
    Lola and Lauren are better singers than Fleur, but Fleur is being mentored (:D) by Scowell. She is getting the full beauty treatment whilst the likes of Lola is getting a little bit of lipstick and Lauren is getting lipstick and mascara. ;-)

But they are awful performers, Lauren couldn't even pull off that one dance step!

:o
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they are awful performers, Lauren couldn't even pull off that one dance step!

So true! Of course, to pull off a flawless live vocal AND deliver a great performance choreographically is something that takes a special skill - and it can take years to perfect - Beyonce and Pink, as great examples, have spent so, so long making sure they can do this. To expect Fleur to recreate one of the most iconic (and difficult) dance routines and then slam her for very slight out of breath vocals because of it, is holding her to a ridiculous standard no one else in the competition is required to achieve. She's an outstanding performer, and because people wish to pull her down, they've decided that vocals ought to be everything, when that's not the case in the real world of commercial music, and ignore a fantastic music artist who puts as much emphasis on visuals as vocals. She should be the runaway leader right now, and I can't understand why all the hate.

Yes, of course, there are some very strong singers in this year's competition - Andrea, Paul and Ben - but none of them have the performance values that Fleur brings. Lauren has the beginnings of being a great, little teen pop star, and has a work ethic and seriousness that speaks highly for her future in the industry, but Fleur is industry-ready right now. That definitely seems to be ignored when people assess her performances.
  • AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shockingly bad is an exaggeration I think. There have been much worse performances.
  • JavarnJohnsonJavarnJohnson Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dizzie wrote: »
    So true! Of course, to pull off a flawless live vocal AND deliver a great performance choreographically is something that takes a special skill - and it can take years to perfect - Beyonce and Pink, as great examples, have spent so, so long making sure they can do this. To expect Fleur to recreate one of the most iconic (and difficult) dance routines and then slam her for very slight out of breath vocals because of it, is holding her to a ridiculous standard no one else in the competition is required to achieve. She's an outstanding performer, and because people wish to pull her down, they've decided that vocals ought to be everything, when that's not the case in the real world of commercial music, and ignore a fantastic music artist who puts as much emphasis on visuals as vocals. She should be the runaway leader right now, and I can't understand why all the hate.

Yes, of course, there are some very strong singers in this year's competition - Andrea, Paul and Ben - but none of them have the performance values that Fleur brings. Lauren has the beginnings of being a great, little teen pop star, and has a work ethic and seriousness that speaks highly for her future in the industry, but Fleur is industry-ready right now. That definitely seems to be ignored when people assess her performances.

I agree.
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She will be back to her best next week... just you watch ;)
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dizzie wrote: »

Couldn't agree more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    She is quite into the performing aspect which is part of what makes her so much more interesting than the rest of them but her vocals can suffer in the process. She had a lot to do last night and I agree, it wasn't the best singing from her.

However, everything else was ON POINT. That dance routine was killer.
  • pilgrim4jpilgrim4j Posts: 6,975
    Forum Member
    I clicked on this thread because I genuinely thought it was someone's idea of a joke, because I thought Fleur was as excellent as Louis said! Just goes to show - different strokes for different folks :)
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are indeed but they are going to sell more records cause they have better recording voices, I generally see Fleur as a guest rapper but no as the main vocalist on a record