Options

vaccinating your pets

cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
Forum Member
✭✭
Just come across this website, while Googling over vaccinating pets. I feel we as pets owners are made to feel by not allowing our pets each year to get vaccinated, that we are in the wrong.
Looking and reading on this website, I know I am not wrong. Please read

www.canine-health-concern.org.uk/

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give us a clue because that goes to a home page and I am not sure what I am looking for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Give us a clue because that goes to a home page and I am not sure what I am looking for.

Sorry, just came back on here, after important calls.

If you go to the part Campaigns. Lots of info regarding vaccinations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I made my my decision many years ago and I am not convinced I need to change yet is, I vaccinate annually until they are 8-10 depending on the dog. I would vaccinate less possibly every other year if I could find a vet who agreed with that approach but ours who is excellent in all other aspects insists on starting again if we miss a year so they get the initial larger doses and that just means they get a huge one every other year which seems more dangerous than accepting the normal dose annually.

I do this for my dogs and don't suggest anyone else do it everyone must decide for them selves.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stopped vaccinating when my girl was 13 - partly because of her age and partly because of her health problems. The advice from the drug companies themselves seems to be that you should only vaccinate healthy dogs. In our case, also, we don't use kennels and we don't mix much with other dogs.
    My vet sent out a reminder - then a reminder of the reminder - then gave up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stopped vaccinating when my girl was 13 - partly because of her age and partly because of her health problems. The advice from the drug companies themselves seems to be that you should only vaccinate healthy dogs. In our case, also, we don't use kennels and we don't mix much with other dogs.
    My vet sent out a reminder - then a reminder of the reminder - then gave up.

I am similar to you. Never have used kennels, and she doesn't mix much with other dogs. When I took Maisie, (she is 7 years old), to the vet 6 months ago, for check up, as she had not had a booster for 3 years, the vet said as she had not had a booster for that long she did give her a booster, then said, come back in 2 weeks for another. I felt torn about her having another one, but got it done. A week or so later she developed real itchy skin on her belly, she had to have some steroid cream, this made it worse. When the directions state you need to wear gloves to put the cream on, I got worried.

I stopped this and went back on line. That is when I found this site and ordered some natural cooling tablets. And from another natural place got some sulfer cream which did help clear it up eventually. Also I spoke to a chap at this website and he was very anti vaccinating a dog, except for their first puppy and just one more jab. I told him it had made her gums really pale. He said that could have been very dangerous. She is back to her normal self, and I try and keep as natural as possible.

Vets used to say do you want Frontline for your dog. I say no thanks, she does not mix much with dogs, and I give her a little garlic in her liver treats , which I make for her, She has never had fleas.. Also did I want her to have a jab for the flu. I said no thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We live in a very heavily dog and cat populated area so I do vaccinate as I said. I also flea and worm treat as one year we tried with out we had an out break of fleas and getting rid of them is harder than keeping them away. Cat fleas I will add not dog fleas, my vet says dog owners are far more likely to prevent fleas whereas cat owners wait until they have them before doing anything subsequently dogs fleas are rarer than cat fleas.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cal4751 wrote: »
    I am similar to you. Never have used kennels, and she doesn't mix much with other dogs. When I took Maisie, (she is 7 years old), to the vet 6 months ago, for check up, as she had not had a booster for 3 years, the vet said as she had not had a booster for that long she did give her a booster, then said, come back in 2 weeks for another. I felt torn about her having another one, but got it done. A week or so later she developed real itchy skin on her belly, she had to have some steroid cream, this made it worse. When the directions state you need to wear gloves to put the cream on, I got worried.

I stopped this and went back on line. That is when I found this site and ordered some natural cooling tablets. And from another natural place got some sulfer cream which did help clear it up eventually. Also I spoke to a chap at this website and he was very anti vaccinating a dog, except for their first puppy and just one more jab. I told him it had made her gums really pale. He said that could have been very dangerous. She is back to her normal self, and I try and keep as natural as possible.

Vets used to say do you want Frontline for your dog. I say no thanks, she does not mix much with dogs, and I give her a little garlic in her liver treats , which I make for her, She has never had fleas.. Also did I want her to have a jab for the flu. I said no thank you.

You are being scammed. Do not trust any site on any topic that says the professionals have got it wrong and then tries to sell you stuff. Particularly "natural" remedies. Natural means nothing. You are wasting your money.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    You are being scammed. Do not trust any site on any topic that says the professionals have got it wrong and then tries to sell you stuff. Particularly "natural" remedies. Natural means nothing. You are wasting your money.

I agree with that and there's very often little scientific evidence for these hoodoo remedies so I'd suggest sticking with the advice of a veterinary practitioner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried various natural flea repellents and TBH not found any that really work one of the best I am told is Billyno mates - great if you can get your dog to drink the stinking liquid, mine refused point blank to have anything to do with it and I can't blame them really. Most natural remedies have to be given in huge doses to make a difference so much so it would worry me I could be causing other problems to my dogs.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vets are raking it in by telling us our dogs need a vaccination for kennel cough when most dogs will never be with packs of other dogs or going abroad and its no necessary... my pup has had its first injections done but Ill look into the boosters more closely as Im not sure of them....while getting his second vaccination the vet picked up worming and flea control and I said...Oh Ive done it myself... she looked at me then said.... Id like to know what you used so I told her the worm control one.. and her comment was.... I never knew shops sold that........then the flea control tablets I used werent good enough she said......wonder why..mmmm, Just after I bought my shih tzu I took it for a complete checkup and for his first vaccination, she looked in his ears and said he had an infection and wouldnt give him the jab..... so that set us back , then I almost passed out at the price of the initial checkup and was charged £18 for the ear infection gel which cost nearly a third in the shops.so now Ive changed to a new vet who does great deals on medicines and also does some help for pets owned by senior citizens or on benefits.
  • Options
    tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB. I too was worried when applying Max's steroid cream last week. The gloves are to ensure you don't dose yourself while applying the steroid cream - I asked.

Like Molliepops. I vaccinate my dogs up until around 8 and then stop. Although I do feel somewhat coerced into vaccinating and I am too scared not to until that age.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the directions state you need to wear gloves to put the cream on, I got worried.
    When applying steroid cream to rashes on yourself the instructions often suggest you use gloves. It's to avoid using it on skin - fingertips - that doesn't need it... no other significance.
    That is when I found this site and ordered some natural cooling tablets.
    What on earth are natural cooling tablets. All that buying from random sites does is ensure you have absolutely no idea what you're giving your dog. I wouldn't source alleged "medication" for me online; I wouldn't do it for my cats, dog or rabbits either. Be careful that your wariness of vets doesn't lead you to source online crap that has no value whatsoever and may even cause your animal problems.
    Vets used to say do you want Frontline for your dog. I say no thanks, she does not mix much with dogs...
    She won't necessarily pick up fleas from other dogs - just as likely she'll pick them up from the environment by rolling in the grass - ticks too. And, of course, ticks carry diseases which transmit to any host and that includes you.

It's easy to dismiss the massive industry that supplies vets with treatments for pets as just in it for the money but once you've had an animal that became seriously ill or die from the results of diseases that can be vaccinated against, you've learned a hard lesson. And so, of course, has the animal.

With annual vaccinations, if our dogs have had regular vaccinations for 7 or 8 years, because we live in the country and there are few other dogs around and they never go into kennels, we stop the annual vaccinations when they are about 9. But remember that vets cannot advise owners stop because it may be contrary to the manufacturers' recommendations and the vet may be liable if an animal subsequently gets sick. But you can always ask what they would do if their 9 year old dog (for eg) was up for booster shots.

Vaccinations for cats
    Reminder that more and more vets are not doing annual vaccinations in the scruff of the neck any more but injecting in the haunch and, ideally, varying the side year on year. This is because the scruff of the neck is regularly assaulted with vaccinations, microchips, spot-on flea and worming treatments and with the identification of vaccine-related (or associated) fibrosarcomas which are aggressive and difficult to treat, the leg offers a better site for these regular injections.

These cancers are very rare but difficult to treat effectively when they occur. They occur mostly in cats, not dogs.
  • Options
    AlyalAlyal Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    It is becoming more common to not give dogs boosters every year. You can ask your vet for a Titer Test which tests them for antibodies and that will let you know which vaccinations they need or not at all. http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/titer-testing/

The only thing you really need to worry about is pet insurance as some wont pay out if the animal is not up to date with vaccs but then others they just wont pay out if the illness is a direct result of not being up to date.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with that and there's very often little scientific evidence for these hoodoo remedies so I'd suggest sticking with the advice of a veterinary practitioner.
    we can be scammed with vets too, who overprice medications , I paid £18 from one for eardrops for my shih tzu then saw it for £6....big profits to be made...
  • Options
    jaycee331jaycee331 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting topic, one that's been playing on my conscience for some time as my Labrador approaches her 2nd birthday. She doesn't go to kennels or daycare but is very well socialized with other dogs in the local park.

Before continuing, my best understanding is that no matter what our views are on long term vaccinations, puppy jabs and 1st annual booster are beyond question.

After that, I wanted to read up enough to judge what the vet wants to do when we go in for her annual MOT. I checked the vaccine manufacturer name off her paperwork and googling up the manufacturer revealed the recommended schedule.

For our particular brand, Canigen, I found that only Lepto-2 is needed annually and the combined DHP (distemper, hepatitis and parvovirus) booster is every 3 years.

So if we are to follow manufacturer specifications I expect only Lepto-2 to be due which, just one this time, I think I can go happily go along with.

Then again there is research like this that says actually after year 1 a dog is immunized for 7 years and anything in between is unnecessary.
    http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/lifelong-immunity-vets/

There is one other factor to bear in mind. Check every piece of small print in your pet insurance policy, because failing to have up to date vaccinations may void any cover for related conditions.

Personally I haven't entirely made my mind up for the future, I think I'll just take each year as it comes and hold out for more research on the subject. I also intend to find out what the vet has to say about titre testing, where the level of immunity a dog has to a virus can be tested from a blood sample. Or even if they offer it. If it wasn't for the insurance (or kennel/daycare) problem titre testing seems like the way forward for me, allowing an informed decision as to whether the dog would actually benefit from further vaccination at that time.