Options

Alarm To Scare Dog When He Tries To Get Out Of Garden

BlodeuweddBlodeuwedd Posts: 251
Forum Member
Would anyone here have any ideas what I could use to prevent my dog from trying to get out of the garden. I know fencing is the obvious answer but it would cost me a fortune. I was thinking along the lines of an intruder alarm when he goes near his latest exit route but these are too loud. I just need something to make a noise when he's close or even something that makes a constant noise (he wouldn't like it and back off). I thought about the sonic things that you can put in your garden to scare off cats but the radius of their effect is too much he would be too scared to go into the garden. Any ideas are welcome.

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think scaring a dog is a good idea, he could just bolt and never come back :o

Fencing or tying him to something is really the only way unless you can supervise him at all times when he is out. You could just fence a smallish area rather than entire garden should cost less.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blodeuwedd wrote: »
    Would anyone here have any ideas what I could use to prevent my dog from trying to get out of the garden. I know fencing is the obvious answer but it would cost me a fortune. I was thinking along the lines of an intruder alarm when he goes near his latest exit route but these are too loud. I just need something to make a noise when he's close or even something that makes a constant noise (he wouldn't like it and back off). I thought about the sonic things that you can put in your garden to scare off cats but the radius of their effect is too much he would be too scared to go into the garden. Any ideas are welcome.

hand him over to the rspca and let them provide him with a good home.

surely if you are letting your dog out in the garden you want him to be safe and secure, why would you not have a fence. no wonder he trys to bolt.

scaring the dog with an alarm or constant noise is just beyond cruel
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Teaching a dog to be fearful of its own surroundings is an accident waiting to happen. It sounds like you should re home him or get yourself educated on proper dog ownership and responsibility sharpish
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try a gate and a rabbit pen.

But yeah, as others have said fencing is your best option. You can get some cheap fences and a cheap handyman to put them in if you look around enough.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use a tether or take him out on a lead until you can secure your garden.

You can do boundary training, but it's not fool proof.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is some sort of electronic system with buried wires and a special collar that gives off a vibe when the dog goes near the boundary. I don't think they're cheap though, and I have no personal experience of it.

http://intl.petsafe.net/en-gb/fencing
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That always seems rather cruel and I have known dogs be so scared by the shock they bolt for the hills and become nervous wrecks in their own homes.
  • Options
    Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    I think if you care enough about your dog you should do everything you can to make sure the garden is escape proof.

Making a dog scared on it's own territory is not a sensible option IMO.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I wouldn't use it myself, but it seems to be close to what the OP was asking for.