Options

What is the oldest you have been asked for ID for alcohol?

Comments

• Options
    HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dawnrayd wrote: »
    Not really related, but got me thinking - if you're out on a night in town, and a girl asks you how old you are, does your answer depend on how old you think she looks, and how old you think she would like you to be? I'm guilty of that, and it never crosses my mind to actually respond with my real age :D

I dont think its the best idea to start off a potential relationship with a lie.

Maybe you should try being honest for once about your age? It might work, you never know if you dont try...
  • Options
    dawnrayddawnrayd Posts: 6,746
    Forum Member
    Henderson wrote: »
    I dont think its the best idea to start off a potential relationship with a lie.

Maybe you should try being honest for once about your age? It might work, you never know if you dont try...

You really do know how to suck the humour out of any given situation. When you're having a dance and a flirt in town, you're not 'starting a relationship' with every girl you speak to.
  • Options
    Richieboy87Richieboy87 Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    23 :o:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really do know how to suck the humour out of any given situation. When you're having a dance and a flirt in town, you're not 'starting a relationship' with every girl you speak to.

Thats why I used the word "potential"

Why dont you use your real age? Do you think you're too old to be flirting in town or something...?
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 24 and sometimes I'm ID-ed, sometimes I'm not.

Thus far, I've always been ID-ed when clean shaven, but when I've got fairly healthy stubble it's mixed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats why I used the word "potential"

Why dont you use your real age? Do you think you're too old to be flirting in town or something...?

FFS, you're like my nemesis tonight. You ruin my contribution in the transsexual thread, you follow me into this thread, telling me I'm too old to be going on nights out or flirting with girls. What is your problem? Have you ever even known the touch of a woman? Are you completely devoid of humour and personality? Just stay away from my posts, even your name is boring and makes me feel tired. Get out of my face.
  • Options
    oh viennaoh vienna Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 28 and I still get ID checked all the time. I'm very short and have a young face, so I just carry my ID around with me wherever I go because chances are I'll need to show it to someone at some point. I don't mind as I'm used to it and as I approach 30, I like the fact that I look 10 years younger!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FFS, you're like my nemesis tonight. You ruin my contribution in the transsexual thread, you follow me into this thread, telling me I'm too old to be going on nights out or flirting with girls. What is your problem? Have you ever even known the touch of a woman? Are you completely devoid of humour and personality? Just stay away from my posts, even your name is boring and makes me feel tired. Get out of my face.

I didn't tell you that you were too old, I asked you if you thought you were too old, because you lie about your age to get girls. It was a harmless question, no need to get so angry dude...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    draig goch wrote: »
    That's why I got asked for ID at Madison Square Garden a few years ago then... I thought it was a wind-up :D

Your best to get used to it - my brother is 65 but he works a fair bit in the States and he has to carry his passport about whenever he is after buying a drink - even if he does not look 65 no one would think he was younger than 55 so its clear they are asking everyone.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really related, but got me thinking - if you're out on a night in town, and a girl asks you how old you are, does your answer depend on how old you think she looks, and how old you think she would like you to be? I'm guilty of that, and it never crosses my mind to actually respond with my real age :D

Either ask them how old they want you to be, or be truthful.

If you are going lie about your age, higher it. Or else you may find yourself with a quite literal roll eyes smilie.

I only say this because I had a friend that really thought she looked 21 when she was actually 29. I ended up with a few whispered ' how old is she really' type comments from her prospective pick ups. They never said it to her face though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't tell you that you were too old, I asked you if you thought you were too old, because you lie about your age to get girls. It was a harmless question, no need to get so angry dude...

I'm not getting into a conversation with a plank of wood. What was meant as a humorous comment has flown right over your head and now it's being picked apart. As you're obviously an Alpha male dripping with charm and panache, I'm all ears if you have any tips on entertaining all the super fine hotties I have no doubt are fighting at the chance to be in your hilarious company.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not getting into a conversation with a plank of wood. What was meant as a humorous comment has flown right over your head and now it's being picked apart. As you're obviously an Alpha male dripping with charm and panache, I'm all ears if you have any tips on entertaining all the super fine hotties I have no doubt are fighting at the chance to be in your hilarious company.

Well... Telling the truth about your age might be a good start...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well... Telling the truth about your age might be a good start...

You're like a humour vacuum cleaner. I admit the vibe of certain comments is lost when you type it out, but even so, you're something else. Are you a chartered accountant living at his mums by any chance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're like a humour vacuum cleaner. I admit the vibe of certain comments is lost when you type it out, but even so, you're something else. Are you a chartered accountant living at his mums by any chance?

No, my Mother died last year...
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're feeling old just go to the USA. I've not been ID'd here since I was about 16 but get it every time there.

ETA: Oops just read Brian's post above :o
  • Options
    Forum Member

Sorry to hear that, and that was the definitely the nail in the coffin on any further humour in this thread. I'll move on now, and praying you won't follow me for a third time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, and that was the definitely the nail in the coffin on any further humour in this thread. I'll move on now, and praying you won't follow me for a third time.

Looks like humorous posts are flying over everybody's head today!
  • Options
    jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    You can't replace the photo.

It's sealed in behind a hologram.

Indeed, IIRC, the image isn't a photo, but a print of the photo.

Only from 1998. So if the passport expired in 2007 or before it will have a laminated photo instead.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

did you troll her to death?
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    misha06 wrote: »
    It's a bit of a weird one, apparently in the sale of alcohol act or whatever it's called, there is a clause regarding purchasing alcohol for minors.

It's down to intent in that you can't buy alcohol with the express intention of giving it to a minor, but if you give them some subsequently because they nag or whatever that is fine:confused::confused::confused:

There was a news story and a thread here a while back about some Tesco stores which were misinterpreting things and refusing to sell alcohol to people shopping there with their kids - it all got a bit silly (the story, not the thread:))

You can buy it if you don't sell it to an under-18, if you give it to them it's not illegal.
  • Options
    jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ForestChav wrote: »
    You can buy it if you don't sell it to an under-18, if you give it to them it's not illegal.

From Directgov:
    What the law says
    It is against the law:
    • to be drunk in charge of a child under seven in a public place or on licensed premises
    • to sell alcohol to someone under 18, anywhere
    • for an adult to buy or attempt to buy alcohol on behalf of someone under 18
    • for someone under 18 to buy alcohol, attempt to buy alcohol or to be sold alcohol in any circumstances (unless acting at the request of the police or a weights and measures inspector)
    • for someone under 18 to drink alcohol in licensed premises, with one exception - 16 and 17 year olds accompanied by an adult can drink but not buy beer, wine and cider with a table meal
    • for an adult to buy alcohol for a person under 18 for consumption on licensed premises, except as above
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be pedantic (and really, pedantry is what law tends to hinge on), it doesn't say that giving it to an U-18 is illegal; just if you explicitly buy it on their behalf.

So for instance, is it illegal for me to buy alcohol, leave the shop, and suddenly decide to give my purchase to a group of 17-year-olds I've just happened to bump into?
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    i get id'd all the time, it's a hassle. I got id'd for buying a scratch card and also for buying bonjela not that long ago. *sigh* Everyone says I should take it as a compliment, but I don't lol. I know I look younger than my age, but I thought I'd got over all the carrying ID stuff when I was 18/19 lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 18 so I really don't mind being asked, and I don't think I would be in the future either, but the thing that annoys me is their attitude. Some of them give the mode judgemental looks and can be so rude. So what if I'm buying alcohol? It is none of your business and I am legally allowed to do so, and you don't have to change the look in your face just because I'm not buying groceries.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    A few weeks ago when I was buying ****.
    She handed them to me and asked "you are
    over 18, aren't you"?
    She asked for I.D. I had none on me.
    When I told her I was approaching 30 she
    was embarrassed but I told her she made my day.
    It happened again last week at the off licence.
    he asked for I.D. i had none so refused to serve me.