Options

How old where you when you first needed glasses?

paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm almost 48 and have been blessed with great eyesight.

But wow,in the last six months or so it has really failed!

Attempting to read a menu tonight was almost impossible until someone jokingly offered me their reading glasses and I couldn't believe the difference.

I'm going to book myself in for an eye test this week but how old where you when/if your eyesight started to go?

Comments

• Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About 8 or 9.Unhappy memories of those NHS glasses that used to hurt my ears.
    Boys got brown ones.Girls got a choice of pink or blue.
    None of these fancy designer things you get these days.:D
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

21 years later and I can't see beyond my nose without my glasses or contacts now.
  • Options
    LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13/14 I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    I'm almost 48 and have been blessed with great eyesight.

But wow,in the last six months or so it has really failed!

Attempting to read a menu tonight was almost impossible until someone jokingly offered me their reading glasses and I couldn't believe the difference.

I'm going to book myself in for an eye test this week but how old where you when/if your eyesight started to go?

You've eyes will only get worse each year now.These are the things that come with age.:(
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was very young...............3 or 4

NHS specials
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Same age as you still wearing Lidls cheap reading glasses 13 years on :D
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Needed them probably around 10-ish, actually started wearing them when I was 12 at and secondary school and needed to be able to see the blackboard properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same age as you still wearing Lidls cheap reading glasses 13 years on :D

I haven't wore glasses for a long time now.But most people seem to say don't bother with the Opticians prescription and expensive glasses.Just nip into your local ASDA or Tesco.Try on a pair or 2 of their reading glasses,find the right ones for you for a few quid.Job done.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    You've eyes will only get worse each year now.These are the things that come with age.:(

Great.Something else to add to the bag of my spare parts when I go on holiday!!!
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seven or eight - I had the NHS ones in brown. The blue and pink ones looked ghastly. Mind, mine didn't look much better.

Wore them for reading until eleven (and many lost pairs) then just stuck em on my nose and kept them there.

The NHS bought out a pair round with gold rims. They were lovely, and I wore the same type for years and years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great.Something else to add to the bag of my spare parts when I go on holiday!!!

Finding it harder and harder to read the Teletext type thingy on the telly?.Squinting to read the words?.Small letters blurring when reading?.Car number plates as well?.
    It's called something or other degeneration.I've got it too.But I'm struggling on.Reading my TV guide with a magnifying glass now.:D:D
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was pretty young, around 9.

Every year the prescription gets worse and worse… carrots are a lie.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 12 :( I blame the school nurse who the previous year when I could read the chart to the bottom had said that I had a pair of eagle eyes.

Mum took me to get glasses fitted. I refused to wear them regularly and managed with my good left eye until I was 19, then my left eye deteriorated too. I think that's why I have a dominant left eye.

After that I wore contact lenses to the present day... Am thinking of getting lasik surgery done, but been told it's best to wait till my 30s as the eyes would be more stable. :confused:
  • Options
    Bex7t6Bex7t6 Posts: 1,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3-4. I am long sighted and wear +6.5 lenses. I also had to wear those eye patches when I was little, to help my lazy left eye. It didn't work.....:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seven or eight - I had the NHS ones in brown. The blue and pink ones looked ghastly. Mind, mine didn't look much better.

Wore them for reading until eleven (and many lost pairs) then just stuck em on my nose and kept them there.

The NHS bought out a pair round with gold rims. They were lovely, and I wore the same type for years and years.

How they used to laugh at me in my itchy Balaclava,,shorts and NHS glasses.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex7t6 wrote: »
    3-4. I am long sighted and wear +6.5 lenses. I also had to wear those eye patches when I was little, to help my lazy left eye. It didn't work.....:)

Aww Bex - my Mother was a flamin' toddler - long sighted and wore glasses at eighteen months.

Same thing with my neice, who looks incredibly like her Grandmother.

Long sighted, both.

I'm short sighted, like my Father - goodness' I didn't have a chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I was 12 :( I blame the school nurse who the previous year when I could read the chart to the bottom had said that I had a pair of eagle eyes.

Mum took me to get glasses fitted. I refused to wear them regularly and managed with my good left eye until I was 19, then my left eye deteriorated too. I think that's why I have a dominant left eye.

After that I wore contact lenses to the present day... Am thinking of getting lasik surgery done, but been told it's best to wait till my 30s as the eyes would be more stable. :confused:

I've thought about laser eye surgery.Maybe it's best to get one eye done first,instead of both at the same time.Just in case it all goes horribly wrong!.:o
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »

That's what I was told as well.

I wanted to do it when I was eighteen but they wouldn't allow it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finding it harder and harder to read the Teletext type thingy on the telly?.Squinting to read the words?.Small letters blurring when reading?.Car number plates as well?.
    It's called something or other degeneration.I've got it too.But I'm struggling on.Reading my TV guide with a magnifying glass now.:D:D

Ha Ha! Spot on.That sums me up at the moment!

Thank goodness I can make the text on by tablet larger so easily!
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    About 40. Squinted for the next two years and got them at 42. The relief, and difference it made was amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How they used to laugh at me in my itchy Balaclava,,shorts and NHS glasses.:(

We got through it:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha Ha! Spot on.That sums me up at the moment!

Thank goodness I can make the text on by tablet larger so easily!

Bring her up to 125% magnification Captain!.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    4, just after I started school and they noticed I couldn't focus on anything.

I had a wonky eye and astigmatism.

Thank God I can wear contact lenses now. My entire childhood (4-17) in glasses really put a dampener on things. I hope no child of mine should ever have bad eyesight (they'll have enough going against them already)
  • Options
    cold tootsiescold tootsies Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    About 12 or 13 I think. I could never read any of the things Teachers wrote on the black board. (showing my age:blush:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We got through it:)

It was character building stuff.:) Not to mention the plastic sandals and duffle coat.:D