2»

Comments

• Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    diamond1 wrote: »
    I would say that Jai is just as eligiible for a page as these two

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myles_and_Connor

seems like they've just signed an independent recording contract recently but haven't released anything .. apart from that all they've done is appear on BGT as a group then split up into a duo .. hardly mindblowing stuff

]

Has that page been AfD'ed and successfully won?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ForestChav wrote: »
    Who have been notable for other things pre/post BGT and are noted for doing something other than being on BGT.

Whether or not being the BGT winner is significant in its own right to merit a page of its own with no further achievements is a question of how notable BGT is and how prestigious the winner would be - and potentially isn't notable enough which is why they are nominating it for deletion (and the notability of it would be a key part of whether or not it is deleted).

Out of all the finalists from what I can see, only 2/3 of them really have anything else you could claim notability other than BGT:
    - that lad in the MJ wannabe group who has show appearances
    - Jean Martyn who has her own website detailing her musical credentials and a career in entertainment
    - James Hobley who was on a BBC documentary a couple of years back about his dancing/autism as well as a contestant on a Sky One show (I think)
    all of whom have something you can visibly reference as well as their achievements on BGT.

Jai may well be the winner, and may well in time be notable enough for his own page but what of significance can be found other than of BGT? That's the key to the 1E policy.

How about Jai having entered X Factor and having a background in musical theatre?
    You will probably also note neither Thompson nor Venables have their own pages also, as they are only really notable for the Bulger murder...

You're comparing the winner of a talent show to two murderers? If you hadn't already lost the argument, you definitely have now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »

lke I've said . please post the relevant bits to back up your point ... I'm not trawlng through red tape to try and pick out the bits you're referring too

If you can't be bothered to explain the parts of the article II can't be bothered to wade through it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How about Jai having entered X Factor and having a background in musical theatre?

If it's notable enough and externally verifiable then add it to the page - it will more than likely count. All these deletion things are meant to do is encourage addition to make the page look more notable than "xxx was on BGT and won".
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diamond1 wrote: »
    lke I've said . please post the relevant bits to back up your point ... I'm not trawlng through red tape to try and pick out the bits you're referring too

If you can't be bothered to explain the parts of the article II can't be bothered to wade through it

you cannot make a convincing argument based solely on what other articles do or do not exist
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Find an RVS for it and sure.
    You're comparing the winner of a talent show to two murderers? If you hadn't already lost the argument, you definitely have now.

Forest is quite clearly comparing them within the context of noablity in regards to a single event.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    who??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forest is quite clearly comparing them within the context of noablity in regards to a single event.

That's not the issue. There are several other closer and more relevant comparisons that could be made than the fact that two murderers don't have their own pages.
  • Options
    blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about this page... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_the_Blue_(Oxford_University)
    They've been marked for deletion too... a semi-finalist but have done a tonne more on top!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronan_Parke

Ronan is there - I agree with Wikipedia's policy on this though. Ronan is newsworthy, not because of the show, but because of the allegations that surrounded him.

Jai is a winner of a reality tv show. Of course they have localised versions of Wikipedia, but a winner of a TV show has no relevance at all to the .org visitors. 99.9% of people won't have a clue who he is, and give it a year 100% won't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about this page... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_the_Blue_(Oxford_University)
    They've been marked for deletion too... a semi-finalist but have done a tonne more on top!

Precisely - the idea of notability is questionable, but they have clearly done more than a single appearance - thats not 1E but are they still notable enough?
  • Options
    blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Precisely - the idea of notability is questionable, but they have clearly done more than a single appearance - thats not 1E but are they still notable enough?

Well I'd say yes they are... they've released about 12 albums already. the mind boggles at why they've been earmarked!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PandaBear wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronan_Parke

Ronan is there - I agree with Wikipedia's policy on this though. Ronan is newsworthy, not because of the show, but because of the allegations that surrounded him.

Jai is a winner of a reality tv show. Of course they have localised versions of Wikipedia, but a winner of a TV show has no relevance at all to the .org visitors. 99.9% of people won't have a clue who he is, and give it a year 100% won't.

They're both notable tbh (though auditions in January - Ronan's gonna be '98, in all likelihood, not 98/99), since the contest has such a high profile in this country.

There are plenty of articles on there which most people wouldn't know about. But can realistically everything about a contest involving so many people be said on a single page? If they reached the final chances are they are notable for doing so and probably have outside experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I'd say yes they are... they've released about 12 albums already. the mind boggles at why they've been earmarked!

Indeed, it's daft, they have a performing history over several years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to say that Ronan's article has been speedily deleted now
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any reasonable person would consider the winner of a major TV talent programme as eligible to have a personal entry within an online "encyclopedia", only in wiki-land would it be up for discussion.

It's quasi-religious stuff is wikipedia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to say that Ronan's article has been speedily deleted now

And anything in it has been moved to a "BGT series 5 finalists" page, along with James' page, a bit on Jai and other things. Presumably until they are notable enough for other things to have their own...