Options

People who stand too close to you

13»

Comments

• Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commuting in Britain is one thing. Commuting in Japan is slightly different since average height is a few inches shorter.

Tube Northern Line is unbearable at times. Tokyo lines and you get an armpit while strap-hanging.

Personally I do shower and spray, clean shirt. But I'm sure it's not pleasant when you get a tall person next to you.
  • Options
    HampshireHannahHampshireHannah Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Nandos one time and there was a wait to be seated, so we were just hanging around in the entrance. After a few minutes another group came along and did the same. Despite all the space in the area, the girl who was back to back with me insisted on continuing to back up regularly into me. I gave her dirty looks, I bumped back, I stood with my elbows jutting backwards - nothing worked, she continued to touch me and I became incredibly irate.

We began our meal, the table next to us was vacated and who was it filled by but the group from behind us! The girl was sat right along side me but fortunately there was enough space between the tables to force her to keep her distance. But when it came to the end of our meal she was still eating, so I took great delight in getting my own back! I could have easily exited on the opposite side of the table but instead I squeezed side ways between my table and hers, with my backside facing her, and used my butt to give her elbow a massive shove. Should have seen her face!!
  • Options
    BatwingBatwing Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrHoppy wrote: »
    Does anyone else find this extremely annoying? How do you deal with this? I find backing up results in them advancing, and I have to watch out for getting stuck in a corner.

A related problem is walking next to a person who likes to be very close to people. I end up on the road or walking into people's garden walls, and they are oblivious to this.

This is seriously the single most irritating thing in my life right now.

A lot of it depends on where the person is originally from. People of countries with plenty of space and lower population densities tend to have bigger circles of comfort than say someone in a crowded country, for example like India, so when they move to countries where people have bigger areas of comfort that can cause problems.

I have had a number of Indians (not picking on Indians, just using them as an example :)) stand close to me in line at the supermarket and usually just making an obvious move to the side sends the message but other times I have asked the person to please not stand so close to me and that it is rude to do so in this country (America in my case). Done nicely it isn't rude to say so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes space invader is what I call them too.

One of my bosses kept invading my personal space, she was cute but her breath could of sheared sheep. I learnt the side on stance. You simply stand side on with you foot placed in front of you, They try and get close but it means standing on your foot to do so. Seriously she never cottoned on, just got this confused look on her face when she couldnt be two inches from my face.

My pet hate is in the office, we have 6 cubicles .. so why oh why when 5 are free does the smegger always come and use the one right next to me ?

Or when you park your car obviously by itself and someone then parks next to you!

I had someone do that once to me to be a jerk and parked so close to me so I would have trouble getting into the car. I let the air out of his tires.

Or when you are in a bathroom stall!! Talk about creepy!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JessTheCat wrote: »
    It's easily dealt with - I just politely ask them to give me a bit of space, most people just say sorry and back off.

If they get funny about it I just tell them that I have a phobia of people getting in my personal space and it makes me unreasonably aggressive - that usually shifts them.

If that doesn't work then screaming 'Get the f**k out of my face' is guaranteed to do the trick.

Exactly, but I skip the second warning. :)
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Its thick people who do it...thick people with all the self awareness of a slug. They wind me up and genuinely scare me at one and the same time, but then again I am practically agoraphobic.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a Classical concert many years ago at Lyme Park, Knutsford.

A lovely place where a cool box filled with booze and food and a picnic blanket were the order of the day.

Arrived early, mostly empty acres of space, but we deliberately went to where we thought the back might be (so as not to get trapped)

Laid out picnic blanket and we all went off for a wander.

On return, another group had laid out their picnic blanket, overlapping ours by 2".
    There was no-one else within 50 yds!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A lovely place where a cool box filled with booze and food and a picnic blanket were the order of the day.

Arrived early, mostly empty acres of space, but we deliberately went to where we thought the back might be (so as not to get trapped)

On return, another group had laid out their picnic blanket, overlapping ours by 2".

I think I would have lost my mind. :)
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the airport waiting to get through security. People standing so close they're brushing against your backpack. Everyones' paranoid about baggage at airports anyway so a stranger coming within an inch of your luggage can make you jumpy. Really annoys me, and there's absolutely no need for it. Best way to deal is to keep turning round a lot, quickly - if they're too close, they get hit. They usually get the message.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrHoppy wrote: »
    Does anyone else find this extremely annoying? How do you deal with this? I find backing up results in them advancing, and I have to watch out for getting stuck in a corner.
    I had a hospital appointment the other day and was waiting in seats outside the consultants to be called in...

There was a row of about eight seats all empty when the nurse brought someone else round and said "take a seat". So yes you've guessed it, the arsehole sat in the seat right next to mine - wtf is wrong with people like that? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I call this type of thing 'snookering' , it's most annoying. It's particularly common in restaurants, cinemas and car parks. Nobody on any table and sitting in a private corner only for some people to plonk themselves right next to you. It's nearly always a group of people who talk very loudly.

I've had it a few times in car parks, as I always make a point of parking where my doors won't get knocked. Usually a vast area of empty spaces, and someone will come and park right next to my car and proceed to open their doors against my paintwork! :mad::mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take up smoking, no one likes standing beside us :p... :(:cry:
  • Options
    renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about when somebody decides to sit on the seat directly behind you on the bus, even though there are plenty of empty seats available.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before I started driving I hated public transport for this reason. I understand that seats are there to be shared but sometimes people would practically be sitting on my knee!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they're frotteurs :eek: :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frotteurism
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they're frotteurs :eek: :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frotteurism