Options

How many friends from your childhood have you kept in contact with?

Comments

• Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None. Which is kind of sad for me because I used to be really close to a couple of people in primazza school. But when we grew up and got to be teenagers what we had in common had changed and we weren't the same people. You can't keep the spark alive when it's dead.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None now,there was one I met at college who I kept in touch and remained friends with until he passed away.
  • Options
    TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member
    Seren13 wrote: »
    ..all...a few...none?
    Do you still see your childhood friends or have your lives just moved in different directions?

I am still incontact with 9 of my school friends & always have been, We don't live in eachothers pockets, we get together maybe once a year, But I see them all throughout the year just not at the sametime..I think we're very Lucky!
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None. I've been married twice and changed my given name legally so they wouldn't even know where to begin to look for me. I live 5000 miles away from where I grew up (and we moved around a lot too). No-one in my family has Facebook and the only person who has any family living where I grew up is my sister in law. She no longer has any contact with her family (they don't even know which part of the UK she lives) so I couldn't be found via her.
  • Options
    c0boc0bo Posts: 6,472
    Forum Member
    None, I haven't contacted any of my friends from childhood.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None.

I've known my bestfriend for 2 years and that is my longest friendship :D.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    It took me a while to realise I'm not really interested in friends, outside of my family, so none now. I wouldn't welcome contact from any former friends. Luckily that's unlikely I would think.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,940
    Forum Member
    If I don't count the old school friends who pop up on Facebook then

Primary - One...sort of. This is mainly because our mothers are acquaintances, the sort you send a card at Christmas. Met up with her a few months back just after her dad died. We didn't have a great deal in common anymore but it was nice to remember the old days.

Secondary - Three. We don't see each other a lot as we are scattered around the country, but we have stayed in contact over the years.

College - One. We had been best friends in college until we had a huge falling out just before I went to uni on the other side of the country. Thankfully we got back in touch just over 10 years later via Facebook and are very close friends again.

Uni - Two. Weirdly they, and my friend from college are the ones who understand me the most. Whether it is because you meet them later in life and they see you as someone other than your 14 year old self I don't know. I know I have had arguments with one of my old school friends who can't seem to grasp that I am not the same person I was at 14.

There is also my Australian penpal I have had since the age of 12 (32 now) I am still in contact with.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might not mean much now, as I am only 19, but I have kept in constant contact with around 7 of my primary school friends. But ask me in around 15 years time, I would predict 2 or 3. (people where there is no way I could think about never keeping in contact and our families are close). Depresses me thinking about losing my best friends due to moving on/getting older.

You never know, my Dad kept in contact with a friend from school up until around 2007. Since around 2008, he hasn't heard from him. I can't imagine it and how horrible it would feel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm vaguely still in contact with a couple of my closest friends but we rarely if ever see each other. However I work very closely with someone I went to school with since I was 5 and we are great friends now. We used to play together from time to time as kids but weren't best friends or anything.

Aside from that, there are the people I have 'reconnected' with on FB- not that we actually chat though.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I was in contact with one of them until 2010, but she lost contact with me and I haven't bothered to contact her again since. I still talk to the people from my secondary school who are at university with me (even if they're doing a different course).
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of my best friends are from school or people I got to know in that period (late 80's). I am still in occassional contact with my best friend from 1980 when I first started school but we drifted apart when we left school in 1993. As I don't have any contact with my family anymore they are very much my family along with my wife, daughter and the in-laws. I expect we will all stay friends now until we start to die off.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Childhood from 1 - 10 = None, I didn't stay in contact with any of my friends from my primary school. In the past few years there are a couple I see regularly as their children go to the same school as my daughter so we met again at the school gates and school events. But we haven't rebonded though, or got together, we just have the odd conversation or nod to each other and say hello when we pass.

Childhood from 10 - 13 = Two, I met them because of an out of school hobby which I still do but even when we are not engaged in this they are still my friends and have been in the years since. I'm not in contact with any of my friends from school. One of them I had a falling out with (he says I stole his girlfriend, but she was his work in progress and they hadn't reached the dating stage so I didn't) and the others just scattered around the country to go to University or to work and that was that really.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm, would say about 2. But only see them every few months. There's a couple I talk to on facebook and we always do the how are you bit and say we'll have to meet for a drink. But of course it never happens.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've known my 3 best friends since Primary school, we're very close.
    It used to be 4 but sadly one slept with another ones husband so she had to go. :(

Edit: When I say she "had to go" I didn't mean we murdered her or anything. :o We just don't have anything to do with her anymore.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None.

I went on FB with my married name, which none of them know (and I never use IRL), so none of them can find me.
  • Options
    scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From my primary school days, none, although I met one guy a few years back and we chatted.

From my grammar school days, one but I haven't seen him in three years. I've bumped into a couple of others briefly.

I'm not very good at keeping in touch and have lost contact with people I'd like to meet again.
  • Options
    Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None, left the area when 18
  • Options
    CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    none

he sadly died
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's one guy who I've known since I was 6 (35 years ago)- I don't see him that often, except sometimes birthdays, but we're still kiiind of in touch. And another I've known since I was 11 who I speak to or see much more often. Most of my closest friends are people I've known since college, though, so about twenty years or so, I guess.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    from my childhood, none,
    from primary school, none
    from high school, three, still close to two of them, the other one, we text occasionally but thats it
    and I'm at uni now
  • Options
    pamuelapamuela Posts: 1,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one. Met her at school when we were 13. She had returned from Australia after emigrating at the age of 5. The teacher brought her into the chemistry lesson and asked me to look after her and show her around the school.
    We are now both 60 so we have known each other for 47 years :)
  • Options
    harry hamsterharry hamster Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still keep in touch with my best friend from infant school in 1964. he's lived in Australia for the past 20 years. We email requently.
  • Options
    ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots. :) My 3 best friends are all from primary school (32- 27 years of friendship) and I have a few other friends i see regularly from secondary school and church youth group.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of my closest friends are from nursery/primary school/high school. My closest friend I've known since we were babes in prams, as our moms were friends way back an we stuck together ever since. :)