Question to ask the interviewer - internal candidate

katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

I have an interview coming up for job in the same company that I'm currently employed by and in the same department but in a different team. The role is a slight step up, but my day to day responsibilities will more or less be the same. I'm a bit stuck on what questions I can ask at the interviewer at the end when they ask 'any questions?'. It's been drummed into me that having no questions shows a lack of interest or spark. But in this case I know the answer to the usual questions like - why the job available, who wilI be working with, what projects will I be working on initially, how is performance measured, what's the work environment like...and the interviewers know that I know.

I have thought asking what the differences in projects might be (although I know this too because it's why I applied), or if they have different priorities than the team or processes but not sure if this is a bit lame. Anyone have an internal interview recently and what did you ask? Any ideas would be great. Google this time around is not my friend. Loads come up for external candidates, but not much on internal interviews :(

Comments

• myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough, I am in a very similar position to you - which is why the thread title caught my eye! My interview's this week and I've been thinking of the questions they might ask me and my answers. Luckily (and like your situation) most of my answers will be genuine reasoning so it's not like I have to lie or embellish it a bit and then have to remember or back-up the lie etc!
    In my situation there are a couple of tasks that will be new to me, although I know where the gain information about them, I'll ask them about that, and it might sound silly but as I'll be interviewed by a couple of bigwigs of the company, I'll also be asking in detail about the work they themselves do, although my position will only occasionally coincide with their own. Good luck with your interview. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As it is an internal one I think that you could say "have you any idea when you will be making a decision and is there any other information I can provide to demonstrate that I am the right person for the role". It fills the silence that follows the question, gives you information of when you can expect to hear and shows you are keen and confident to get the job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh stargazer...... that's a good one!
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a job interview this week too, but I'm gutted as I have found out there's an internal candidate so I feel like it's a waste of time. :(

But good luck to the above posters with their interviews (as long as you're not up for the same job as me!)
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I've been on interview panels, sometimes a candidate has said something along the lines of.....no I haven't any questions. I did have some but everything's been covered in the interview ....with a winning smile of course.

This has always seemed to be absolutely fine to me and the other interviewers, and would be even more plausible for an internal candidate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I've got a job interview this week too, but I'm gutted as I have found out there's an internal candidate so I feel like it's a waste of time. :(

But good luck to the above posters with their interviews (as long as you're not up for the same job as me!)

It's not a waste of time at all! They will still be looking to employ the person who is most right for the job, which may well be you. Perhaps the internal candidate is well known as a slacker, or is constantly late.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a waste of time at all! They will still be looking to employ the person who is most right for the job, which may well be you. Perhaps the internal candidate is well known as a slacker, or is constantly late.

I hope you're right! I haven't had an interview in many years so I am going to treat it as experience.
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only that were true.

Company I used to work for only advertised some jobs externally because they had to. Most times, we knew who would get the job even before the interviews had taken place.

it's also not a given that the best person is the one to get the job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only that were true.

Company I used to work for only advertised some jobs externally because they had to. Most times, we knew who would get the job even before the interviews had taken place.

Way to encourage d0lphin...
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only that were true.

That isn't true of all companies though and certainly not so of the last place I worked - a global company working towards an Investor in People accreditation. On numerous occasions internal applicants lost out to external applicants, to the extent I would say it was weighted in favour of the new blood.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way to encourage d0lphin...
    The truth isn't always nice to hear.
    That isn't true of all companies though and certainly not so of the last place I worked - a global company working towards an Investor in People accreditation. On numerous occasions internal applicants lost out to external applicants, to the extent I would say it was weighted in favour of the new blood.
    Didn't say it was, just giving my experience at one place I worked.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't say it was, just giving my experience at one place I worked.

And applied it in general to all companies. Read back your reply to JTS and you might see what I mean.

JTS - Applying for jobs when there are also internal applicants is not a waste of time.
    You - If only that were true
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And applied it in general to all companies. Read back your reply to JTS and you might see what I mean.

JTS - Applying for jobs when there are also internal applicants is not a waste of time.
    You - If only that were true
    If I'd only typed the first five words in my reply then yes, however, the fact that the very next six words of the second line of my post quite obviously lets readers know I'm talking about one company in particular.
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the ideas. I might be honest and say that while I obviously don’t know everything about the new job / team, from my experience with the company and the department, I feel I have a good enough understanding so don't have any questions for the time being. But, I do like the any questions you have for me to help demonstrate that I can do the job, especially if I've mucked up an answer to a previous questions and might give me another shot at it.

In relation to external vs internal. I've had an internal interview before (temp job to permanent) and I lost out to an external candidate, so I wouldn't automatically assume externals are wasting their time. In a way, it's a disadvantage, I mean you can't really say that you go the extra mile when it comes to customer care when the interviewer has seen you groan and divert to voicemail when you recognise a particularly troublesome client and you just don't have the energy to deal then and there (not me of course, I'm totally committed! :D)

Anyway, good luck to everyone who has interviews coming up, fingers crossed we all get good news :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    I always flip the "where do you see yourself in 3 years time?" back on the interviewer and ask where they see the post being in 3 years time, or the sucessful applicant?

Also ask why they like working for the company (internal why they like working in that department)
  • NonamooseNonamoose Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't give up D0lphin. That happened to me once - I was interviewed for a part time job and didn't realise that the job was already spoken for and that the interviews were merely going through the motions. I apparently interviewed so well that I was given a full time job as the boss knew that one of his full time staff was leaving fairly soon afterwards although it had not yet been pfficially announced. It was the best job i've ever had (until I took very ill and haven't worked since)
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Ask if you can start immediately. Look keen. Start dates are often negotiated with internal moves.

Ask about handover. Both for new job and old job. It shows responsibility etc.

Ask about long term strategy for the department and how your role might develop. Shows your interest and intend to stay in the job.

Ask lots of questions about the department during the interview. You have the business knowledge, so these should come to you. Again you look keen.

Ask for a fat pay rise. :D Point out that you've achieved great things. If they don't agree you probably wont be getting the job anyway.
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The handover questions is a good one, I'm going to use that. Thanks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to have hijacked your thread Katkin and thanks to those offering encouragement for my interview.

Dante Ameche - I am not under any illusions. I am assuming the internal candidate will get the job but using it as interview experience as I haven't had an interview for 14 years.

My experience in companies I have worked in, has been that the internal candidate gets priority, even if they're not the best person for the job. It's sad but usually true.

But you never know......will come back and tell you when I hear!:)
  • KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zaali wrote: »
    I always flip the "where do you see yourself in 3 years time?" back on the interviewer and ask where they see the post being in 3 years time, or the sucessful applicant?

Also ask why they like working for the company (internal why they like working in that department)

Thats exactly what I did today in the interview I had.
    I went for a fulltime job in a position where I had a part time temporary contract. I asked about where the department would be in terms of expansion over the next few years.

I got offered the job this afternoon! :D

Good luck OP
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KnifeEdge wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I did today in the interview I had.
    I went for a fulltime job in a position where I had a part time temporary contract. I asked about where the department would be in terms of expansion over the next few years.

I got offered the job this afternoon! :D

Good luck OP

That's a great idea! Congratulations on your job offer :)
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interviewer 'That is all the questions I need from you johnbee. Is there any information you would like or any querstions?
    Interviewed 'No thanks very much, though I am sure some will come to me half way down the stairs'.

Don't do that unless you are sure you can get away with a light remark. OP I have interviewed many hundreds of people (civil service though) and nobody has ever come up with anything any good. About one person a day asks something and it is always useless and banal and a waste and it never affects the outcome.
  • PPWWPPWW Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could ask what additional training would be offered in order for you to excel at this position. Are there any qualifications you could take that would add to your knowledge and ability to progress within the company? (as I don't know the environment it's difficult to judge what would apply here, but you could have a quick look at adult learning courses at local colleges/uni's or online courses). If there are, you could ask if they would be willing to fund these as you are committed to the company and want to stay and expand your abilities and skill set?

Also you could ask if you're not sucessful in this role, what you can do to prepare yourself for future opportunities as you are determined to progress and succeed.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.
  • Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to have hijacked your thread Katkin and thanks to those offering encouragement for my interview.

Dante Ameche - I am not under any illusions. I am assuming the internal candidate will get the job but using it as interview experience as I haven't had an interview for 14 years.

My experience in companies I have worked in, has been that the internal candidate gets priority, even if they're not the best person for the job. It's sad but usually true.

But you never know......will come back and tell you when I hear!:)
    I think you've got the right attitude, best of luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update from me: I didn't get the job. :( although I'm not feeling that bad, I've expressed to my colleagues many times of my desire to leave my company before I applied, I only went for this job as it was a promotion and I had done the majority of the tasks required. So internal employees don't always get the job (unless I find out that the person who got it was from another internal employee)!! :)