Should Simon Mayo drop his Friday phone-in feature?

Comments

• big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fattmaude wrote: »
    I love All Request Friday...lighten up :rolleyes:

It's not the music, it's the people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Just bring back Johnnie Walker.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bring back Johnnie Walker.

If only, but I don't think Johnnie would want it.:(
  • Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    A lot of reverse snobbery here. I don't get this middle class thing. They just get people on who might be doing interesting stuff.

There are loads of people saying they are going to football rugby ect, or seeing friends, relatives locally. I have heard army wives excited hubbies home, truckers on their way home, bands going to gigs, beer festivals, hen nights I could go on.

My mum and dad travelled 3 hours to Ipswich last weekend to a wedding does that make them middle class?

Also there was a guy on the other week saying he would be having a normal weekend of chores and the pub. Simon joked with him that it was the sort of weekend the vast majority of listeners will be having. People ring in because they have a special event on.

However, I do wish they could increase the variety of songs though, although I am up for more AC/DC!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    big mac wrote: »
    It's not the music, it's the people.

Inverted snob much? :rolleyes:
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd just be happy if acknowledged that not everyone is knocking off work at 5, whatever they might be doing over the weekend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fattmaude wrote: »
    Inverted snob much? :rolleyes:

No, not inverted snobbery. Maybe I should have phrased it a bit better, but it was merely just a comment that people were complaining about the music, but it isn't the music played on the all request Friday that I have a problem with, it's the fact that there is not a cross-section of people represented. As others on this thread have also said, it isn't good to listen to sometimes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    I'd just be happy if acknowledged that not everyone is knocking off work at 5, whatever they might be doing over the weekend.

That's the other thing - the assumption by Simon Mayo that EVERYONE who is listening has just finished work, when, especially these days with work patterns changing, there will be plenty people who do not follow the conventional 9-5 weekday model. Me included, as I work Saturday on a regular basis, it means nothing to me when I hear cliches like "have you got that Friday feeling?" Er, no I haven't, because I've still got to get up early to go to work the next morning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the show is ok and to be fair it's kind of let your hair down show! Could be worse they could turn it into 'club classics'
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I can't get my head around this forum - Heart is said to aim itself at knuckle dragging vermin and now Radio 2 is too snooty!!

Radio 2 is the default station of choice for truckers, van drivers, builders etc. I know this as I deal with them on a daily basis. The bus depot around the corner has Radio 2 blasting out. No Tarquins' or Jemimas' there!

As i said before, the format of Fridays isn't to my taste, but there's always club classics for your "shout outs" should you find R2 too high brow (which is the last thing it is)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I can't get my head around this forum - Heart is said to aim itself at knuckle dragging vermin and now Radio 2 is too snooty!!

Radio 2 is the default station of choice for truckers, van drivers, builders etc. I know this as I deal with them on a daily basis. The bus depot around the corner has Radio 2 blasting out. No Tarquins' or Jemimas' there!

As i said before, the format of Fridays isn't to my taste, but there's always club classics for your "shout outs" should you find R2 too high brow (which is the last thing it is)

I'm not criticising Radio 2 as a whole station, I'm not even criticising a particular show, I'm just criticising one feature on a show.
  • lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love "All request Friday", and what on earth is wrong with being middle class? It's not a disease!
  • thelockupthelockup Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    i love all request friday! although im not a fan of "that tune" - goddam muppets!!
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    More eloquent? - yes. More talkative? - well, I would dispute that in some cases, as some of the stereotypical people we are talking about here take themselves way too seriously. I'm sure someone who is considered working-class, while not being as intelligent, would be able to have plenty of "banter" if they were on the Radio. They would also be, in general, less self-conscious and less worried about how they're presenting themselves in case the neighbours are listening.

Have you actually listened to the show? The callers usually far from take themselves seriously. More often than not they're just excited and chatty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    Have you actually listened to the show? The callers usually far from take themselves seriously. More often than not they're just excited and chatty.

Yes I have, pretty much every week.
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    Then you must desist at once! Haven't you heard of Heart? :)

Haha, well said. I have indeed heard of this Heart you speak of, however sadly where I live there is no such station!
  • bh21bh21 Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    I personally don't give a damn about what anyone else is up to at the weekend, I would guess that would be the case for most people listening. How on earth can anyone be interested in Patrick, Pippa and their little darlings going off to visit Cornwall for the weekend?

As for requests, it's probably like most other "request" shows where the playlist is mostly predetermined and if you happen to pick one of the songs and your voice fits then you're on.

that totally sums it up for me , which I hate cos I think simon is a good dj , it also bugs me in the winter when they are "driving over to france for the weekend to go skiing " while I am moaning the sports guy sounds totally smug when he is trying to be funny
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    it isn't the music played on the all request Friday that I have a problem with, it's the fact that there is not a cross-section of people represented.
    So what are you suggesting-that Radio Two should make sure some less interesting callers get on air in the interests of 'balance'?:eek: .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    So what are you suggesting-that Radio Two should make sure some less interesting callers get on air in the interests of 'balance'?:eek: .

Why would getting someone on from a different socio-economic background make them less interesting? You're just assuming that everyone outside of the typical callers would automatically be boring. How do you know that?
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I guess they take whoever calls up, sounds interesting and asks for something agreeable. I'm in the car at that time, i have been on the radio plenty of times, but i just couldn't be bothered to ring up that show as i'm tired and thinking about a pint, so i'm just happy to listen to it. I guess most listening are the same.
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it annoys everybody so much - listen to something else.

I can honestly say that I have never thought 'oh, they sound so middle class' or anything like that at all when listening to the show. What I hear is a great presenter interacting with his audience and showing personality - something seriously lacking in radio elsewhere!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More eloquent? - yes. More talkative? - well, I would dispute that in some cases, as some of the stereotypical people we are talking about here take themselves way too seriously. I'm sure someone who is considered working-class, while not being as intelligent, would be able to have plenty of "banter" if they were on the Radio. They would also be, in general, less self-conscious and less worried about how they're presenting themselves in case the neighbours are listening.

It's not about intelligence, and it's patronising to assume working-class people are less intelligent than the middle class. Social class has no bearing on a person's intelligence. Moreover, there are many intelligent people who aren't great communicators, while some dullards come across bubbly and confident over the phone.

I simply meant that middle-class people are more likely to have a white-collar job that requires them to communicate confidently with strangers, whereas blue-collar workers are less likely to have those skills.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Black Crow wrote: »
    If it annoys everybody so much - listen to something else.

I can honestly say that I have never thought 'oh, they sound so middle class' or anything like that at all when listening to the show. What I hear is a great presenter interacting with his audience and showing personality - something seriously lacking in radio elsewhere!

Apart from the bit about it lacking elsewhere I agree with this.

Usually presenters interacting with the audience is a great thing. Listeners are picking songs too and the Friday playlist is pretty random which again is something most people on here want more of.

I find it amusing that despite all of the moans about commercial radio and a tightplaylist we have a show that is the opposite and people moan about it.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    I've never understood the fascination with "bigging up the weekend". A lot of people work now or they spend the weekend doing jobs at home they haven't had time for during the week. If you're short of money, hearing people bragging about their plans is not what you want to hear. Most callers on R2 are good Home Counties stock 'cos sadly they're the most articulate. When you've got such a big audience you're going to cherry pick the callers who don't sound thick.

Worse than that though is presenters doing the old "three word weekend"; describe your weekend in three words. Done to death and vacuous in the extreme.

I work every other Saturday Morning or on evenings Friday.

BUT when the rota comes up and Friday 2pm arrives...I 'big up' the weekend. So that is about 4 weekends a year bigged up for me.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the other thing - the assumption by Simon Mayo that EVERYONE who is listening has just finished work, when, especially these days with work patterns changing, there will be plenty people who do not follow the conventional 9-5 weekday model. Me included, as I work Saturday on a regular basis, it means nothing to me when I hear cliches like "have you got that Friday feeling?" Er, no I haven't, because I've still got to get up early to go to work the next morning.

Hope your in a Heart free zone.

Start a 2pm-10pm shift with 2pm-7pm being Feel Good Friday (well was last time I heard the drivel). followed by Club Classics and 'bouncy' shout outs.

And why is 7pm Friday so dire on FM?
    Radio 2 Friday Night is Music Night
    Heart Club Classics
    Radio 1 Dance Music Marathon (and notice Zane Lowe has become more urban music influenced lately)

Dread the pre Christmas when no doubt we have 5 days Club Classic pounding around Goods In and Zane Lowe on Despatch. Thankfully on Returns I have a radio that is Jo Whiley :D