Options

Tom Daley reveals he is in gay relationship: 'I couldn't be happier'

Comments

• Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't people that come out just say "i'm gay" then leave it like that and move on ? Why do we always get more details ? I don't go around explaining why i'm straight.
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Lets ignore Blockz99 he's either trolling or a moron. Either way, he's not worth debating with.

I'm not troll and no moron thank you very much. But glad to see you want to stop any discussion with me just proves you seem to support censorship. How liberal of you.
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I think this is a positive step for the LGBTQ community, so im happy in that aspect
  • Options
    RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    I'm not troll and no moron thank you very much. But glad to see you want to stop any discussion with me just proves you seem to support censorship. How liberal of you.
    I'm not claiming to be a liberal. I just think discussion with you is pointless.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An old friend of mine is Bi. The joke at the time was he says that because he didn't want to admit being Gay. Normally comments like that coming from NUTS reading larger swilling slob who play COD all day long. He was in a Gay relationship for 6 years but now with a lady and a little child
    If he was forced to make this public because one of the newspapers were going to run a story.
    I really wish they would grow up. Even after all the stories that have destroyed the publics faith In the press. the sun couldn't wait to get the "Rentboys" out in force about that flowers Guy who was the boss of the CO OP.

Its what he done in the boardroom that matters not the bedroom.
    I do hope that wasn't the Case with Tom Daley because things will only change when being Gay/Bi/Lesbian when the media don't see it as a big deal.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Blockz99 has not said that Bisexuals don't exist. at all. he's saying he thinks that Daley is gay and not Bi.

there are reasons why this might be true, some do with marketing and some to do with the personal journey he is going on. i could see that you could technically make the case that pretending to be bi when you were gay as if that were better could be seen as a value judgement but you would really have to stretch.

certainly anyone who thinks this statement was just off the cuff and wasn't carefully planned by his management is naive.

i guess the only interesting part of the story for me is if his hand was forced by the media and if outing someone like that is acceptable today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not claiming to be a liberal. I just think discussion with you is pointless.

You have a short memory :eek: you just asked everyone on here to stop debating with me which is a form of censorship or maybe you don't like people to have an independent mind .
  • Options
    TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    I reckon he did this before the papers outed him. Same thing to happen to Colin Jackson IIRC
  • Options
    ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    deivu74 wrote: »
    I'm slightly confused. Why is it taking 20-odd years for people to figure out they like women/men or a combination of the two?

nobody was intrested in him any more, so decideds to post his video on a social media sharing services.

just wanted his hits
  • Options
    RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have a short memory :eek: you just asked everyone on here to stop debating with me which is a form of censorship or maybe you don't like people to have an independent mind .
    Where did I claim that I didn't say that?
  • Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    I saw this on Twitter, and it just sums it up perfectly for me. :)

Tom Daley isn't straight, but he isn't gay either. Why are people ignoring bisexuality? And shouldn't it be about self identity anyway?
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon he did this before the papers outed him. Same thing to happen to Colin Jackson IIRC

Total Guesswork on my part but I think the same.
    They seem devoid of any juicy celeb stories at the moment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    Blockz99 has not said that Bisexuals don't exist. at all. he's saying he thinks that Daley is gay and not Bi.

there are reasons why this might be true, some do with marketing and some to do with the personal journey he is going on. i could see that you could technically make the case that pretending to be bi when you were gay as if that were better could be seen as a value judgement but you would really have to stretch.

certainly anyone who thinks this statement was just off the cuff and wasn't carefully planned by his management is naive.

Thank you for actually reading my posts unlike a lot of knee jerkers on here . I never said Bisexuals didn't exist
    Just that I felt Daley was gay not Bi and it was a shame that he strongly implied he was Bi and not Gay ....probably a management decision.

This is my first experience of vile , nasty posts from other posters on here and its not pleasant experience. How people cope with Trolls i dont know. :(
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I look forward to your apology when a) he's seen in a relationship with a woman sometime in the next 20 years b) he says that actually hes always been gay within 5 years ;)

I'd look forward to your apology upon the day your staggering hypocrisy, ridiculous and utterly baseless proclamations and blatant bigotry are finally made aware to you. Unfortunately I suspect that day will be a long time coming, and apologies from hypocritical bigots who can't distinguish between guessing and knowing carry little currency with me at any rate.

A young man says "I'm bisexual". You say "No you're not, you're gay, and what you said is very offensive to me." Ego much?

You may find a young man identifying as bisexual to be unbelievable, preposterous and 'very offensive to gay people'. The saddest thing is that you denigrate a young man, who you have no evidence at all to suggest is doing anything other than speaking his truth, in order to maintain your biases while you think you are somehow championing gay rights. If anything you can proudly wear a badge of equal opportunity. Your posts are offensive to anyone with intelligence and decency regardless of sexual orientation. With that, I'm done.
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Colin Jackson? He's never come out or been outed as far as I know.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    I'm slightly confused. Why is it taking 20-odd years for people to figure out they like women/men or a combination of the two?

If only it was that simple, it took me 37 years, and I was still going out with a girl when I met the love of my life.

Everyone is different, especially those of us who were teenagers in the 1950's, and had no alternative but to stay in the closet.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Thank you for actually reading my posts unlike a lot of knee jerkers on here . I never said Bisexuals didn't exist
    Just that I felt Daley was gay not Bi and it was a shame that he strongly implied he was Bi and not Gay ....probably a management decision.

This is my first experience of vile , nasty posts from other posters on here and its not pleasant experience. How people cope with Trolls i dont know. :(

most posters you will find are sat there waiting to pull the trigger on calling everyone else homophobic or racist.

i find it worrying the remarkable ease with which people do it. there is a whole Aesop fable about why you shouldn't.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably less socially accepted to come out as bi-sexual than it is to come out as gay or lesbian.
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only it was that simple, it took me 37 years, and I was still going out with a girl when I met the love of my life.

Everyone is different, especially those of us who were teenagers in the 1950's, and had no alternative but to stay in the closet.

It took 37 years to come out for you but at what age (if ever before 37) were you first attracted to a man?
  • Options
    horace_Tort1horace_Tort1 Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »
    Good for him to coming out.

Now he will become Sir Tom
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    good for him shame some people on facebook have to write unbelievable foul things about him and his dad.

"Of course Tom Daley is so good in a swimming pool, just think of all those times his Dad tried drowning him in the bath for being a bender."
    https://www.facebook.com/luke.tolcher.5/posts/10201061163267430
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    It took 37 years to come out for you but at what age (if ever before 37) were you first attracted to a man?

From age 16, but I felt very guilty, because that was how you were made to feel in those days I really thought that I was the only one, so I had no one to speak to about it.. Difficult to believe I know, unless you were around then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    elnombre wrote: »
    I'd look forward to your apology upon the day your staggering hypocrisy, ridiculous and utterly baseless proclamations and blatant bigotry are finally made aware to you. Unfortunately I suspect that day will be a long time coming, and apologies from hypocritical bigots who can't distinguish between guessing and knowing carry little currency with me at any rate.

A young man says "I'm bisexual". You say "No you're not, you're gay, and what you said is very offensive to me." Ego much?

You may find a young man identifying as bisexual to be unbelievable, preposterous and 'very offensive to gay people'. The saddest thing is that you denigrate a young man, who you have no evidence at all to suggest is doing anything other than speaking his truth, in order to maintain your biases while you think you are somehow championing gay rights. If anything you can proudly wear a badge of equal opportunity. Your posts are offensive to anyone with intelligence and decency regardless of sexual orientation. With that, I'm done.

I really give up on here now. Where did i denigrate him ?
    How am i a bigot ? don't answer as I cant take another torrent of vile abuse from you or the other nasties on this site.

Please forgive me for having an opinion as I happen to believe hes Gay and not BI .....He hasn't actually used the word Bi has he ? if so please do provide a link . Hes said hes in a gay relationship but still likes women which to me sounds like a carefully managed way of avoiding saying "I'm Gay" which would lose some fans and sponsorhip or so he and his management might think.
    I will be happy to change my opinion in the future if events change i.e he says hes now with a woman etc - and it is only my opinion just a much as your opinion is you opinion . The only difference between us is that I have not subjected you to a vile stream of abuse for you opinion unlike you have me.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    On the radio news I just heard the newsreader mention Daley's quote in which he said he still likes women but that the moment he is dating a man. So I don't think he's fully come out, sort of just a peek out of the closet. ;)

I wonder when/if Cliff Richard will ever do the same? ;)

I take it as a statement saying he is who he is, he is at present in a loving relationship with another man and he is happy , he said he still finds women attractive so who knows , basically he has defined himself as him , a person who has fallen in love with another person , their sex is irrelevant to him , but not to those who have been speculating for ever and a day.
  • Options
    ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    superkin wrote: »
    good for him shame some people on facebook have to write unbelievable foul things about him and his dad.

"Of course Tom Daley is so good in a swimming pool, just think of all those times his Dad tried drowning him in the bath for being a bender."
    https://www.facebook.com/luke.tolcher.5/posts/10201061163267430

This isn't true. After all, it's 2013, no one cares anymore, why make a big deal by coming out, no one has an issue with it these days etc.

This is why people come out, no matter how obvious it may be to some. This day and age, it may be a better time to be LGBTQ than before, but it's not problem free, and having someone high profile be out can help.