AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member

Who'd want to be an EP eh?

Well Scrabbler is the next EP so I am hopeful
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aunt Babe! :D what sort of name is that?!
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    thebestbit wrote: »
    I can't wait till the Carter's become the new Brannings.

And everyone wants them gone

With the exception of Max, Jim and Carol, I've never liked the Brannings. It wasn't their over-exposure, it was them. I like The Carters and I've not even seen them.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the big news was about the extended family of characters we haven't even seen on-screen yet.
  • Options
    RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annette Badland played a minor role in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) too :D She played the woman giving out treats whilst Willy Wonka as a child and friends were trick or treating (in a flashback):)
  • Options
    perpet83perpet83 Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    The Carters are a way to explore Shirley's past and are built around her, so its really different to the Branning's. These lot seem more interesting then the Brannings and the actors they have seem better as well.

Don't see why people are so down on them for. Poor DTC he just can't win can he.

Who'd want to be an EP eh?

I know! The show has been dire for ages yet they sign up amazing actors to play interesting-sounding new characters and everyone's condemning them before they've even appeared! The Ferreras and Di Marcos lacked a single interesting or memorable character, that was their problem. And the Brannings were introduced very slowly over more than a decade, it's just that they ended up doing nothing but have affairs and partake in tedious faux-gangster crap. It wasn't their ubiquity that was the problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With the exception of Max, Jim and Carol, I've never liked the Brannings. It wasn't their over-exposure, it was them. I like The Carters and I've not even seen them.

I liked April. I wouldn't mind if they brought her back actually. She was that Eastenders rarity, a cheerful character.
  • Options
    hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    samusek2 wrote: »
    BTW, in conjunction with this Bad Girls twist. West's wife on Coronation Street was played by Sylvia Hollamby (Helen Fraser):kitty:
    "Vinyl flooring this, vinyl flooring that! He bored the liver out of me!" :D

As for "Aunt Babe" - what da fook? Typo right? :D
  • Options
    AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    So the big news was about the extended family of characters we haven't even seen on-screen yet.

Basically.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member

I wouldn't even consider Carol a Branning. She's always been Carol Jackson to me. Like Dot is suppose to be a Branning but we all know she's really Dot Cotton.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    perpet83 wrote: »
    I know! The show has been dire for ages yet they sign up amazing actors to play interesting-sounding new characters and everyone's condemning them before they've even appeared! The Ferreras and Di Marcos lacked a single interesting or memorable character, that was their problem. And the Brannings were introduced very slowly over more than a decade, it's just that they ended up doing nothing but have affairs and partake in tedious faux-gangster crap. It wasn't their ubiquity that was the problem.

I view it from the opposite angle. The majority appear to be hailing not just Stan and Aunt Babe but the whole Carters as the saviours of EE before they've even appeared. I hope they do become good additions to the show but the more people build them up, the easier it will be for them to fall in the eyes of viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hetal wrote: »
    I wouldn't even consider Carol a Branning. She's always been Carol Jackson to me. Like Dot is suppose to be a Branning but we all know she's really Dot Cotton.

What's weird is that she came in as a Jackson, as did all her kids from previous relationships, yet she wasn't even married (or engaged for that matter) to Alan at that point. It was the same with the Millers. Does this happen IRL? I've never encountered it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I view it from the opposite angle. The majority appear to be hailing not just Stan and Aunt Babe but the whole Carters as the saviours of EE before they've even appeared. I hope they do become good additions to the show but the more people build them up, the easier it will be for them to fall in the eyes of viewers.

I agree that it's premature to assume they will save the show. I am hugely ambivalent about Dyer myself, and Mick sounds like the sort of character I would hate. But overall they sound interesting, the actors are great and I've always liked Shirley so I'm curious to see her family. I think people are just excited that stuff is coming up that actually sounds interesting! How long is it since that happened?!
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badland was in a lot of the 90's kids tv shows
  • Options
    B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Know Annette Badland mainly from when she appeared in Doctor Who. If I remember she played a slitheen. Seen her in a few other things too, she's a pretty good actress. Not too familiar with Timothy West but the name sounds like somebody I should know of.
  • Options
    RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Stan knows if Tina is a lesbian. If not, I wonder how he would react to Tina and Johnny's sexuality.
  • Options
    Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Brilliant actors, so I am pleased about this. The Producer has done an amazing job with his castings and overall bringing Eastenders back to its best. The soap is certainly back to its best:)
  • Options
    nigel12nigel12 Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These two will be great and definitely give us some needed older characters with links.

With the size of the cast now I still think there will be a few further axings to come. Unless DTC has been given a massive increase in the Eastenders budget!
  • Options
    walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    I hope they keep Aunt 'Babe' away from Max. :o;)
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impressive castings. DTC seems really determined to bring Eastenders back to its best.
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we know Shirley and we know Danny Dyer, who mostly plays a variation of himself.

Another Shane Ritchie then. :D
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always loved Timothy West from his 'Brass' days.Annette Badand has been a jobbing actress from the seventies and recently played Margaret Slitheen in Dr Who.

Concerned that the Carters are ging to swamp the show the Brannings did.Too muchj Shirley is never a good thing.
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    good stuff
  • Options
    Milton JonesMilton Jones Posts: 2,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely her full name isn't aunt babe, that just doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are my favourite castings so far. I think Annette in particular is really going to be epic!