Options

Paying Car Insurance not by DD???

a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is a rather urgent request.

Dos anyone know of any car insurance companies that allow you to pay by worldpay or other payment means that is NOT direct debit?

My current insurer is going out of business and have until 10th April to find another. I was on a pay monthly policity (NOT Black Box) that allowed me to pay by worldpay.

I do not have a bank account that had DD facilities and cannot get a normal bank account (please do not challenge me on this, I only have a post office account) and unable to pay a one off payment as I do not have that kinda money.

There must be companies out there that allow payments by non DD so this is why I am reaching out to you as someone may know,

Comments

• Options
    Jenny_AustinJenny_Austin Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Swinton, you can go into the branch and pay it, but it probably cost you a fortune as branch prices are very expensive

Edit, ring up or go to other insurance brokers also who might help
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can set up a "recurring payment" to use any account for which you have a plastic card - i.e. debit or credit card. All the insurers need is your card number and they can do the rest. You personally are not able to set up the DD - that has to be done by the payee not the payer
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    You can set up a "recurring payment" to use any account for which you have a plastic card - i.e. debit or credit card.
    I'd be surprised if any account that has a debit card wouldn't also allow direct debit and if the OP can't have a 'normal' bank account he would undoubtedly be precluded from having a credit card..

OP the Post Office offer several accounts, what is the name of the account type you have?
  • Options
    a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if any account that has a debit card wouldn't also allow direct debit and if the OP can't have a 'normal' bank account he would undoubtedly be precluded from having a credit card..

OP the Post Office offer several accounts, what is the name of the account type you have?

I have a prepaid card account with visa debit, it is not a bank account or credit card.

all insurance companies I seem to find only take one off payments in one sum or direct debit payments.
    I know there will be some out there that will offer other options but I cannot find them, thats why I posted on here that someone will know something.

I cannot email 1000s insurance companies, not in the sort time I have to sort something out.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a01020304 wrote: »
    This is a rather urgent request.

Dos anyone know of any car insurance companies that allow you to pay by worldpay or other payment means that is NOT direct debit?

My current insurer is going out of business and have until 10th April to find another. I was on a pay monthly policity (NOT Black Box) that allowed me to pay by worldpay.

I do not have a bank account that had DD facilities and cannot get a normal bank account (please do not challenge me on this, I only have a post office account) and unable to pay a one off payment as I do not have that kinda money.

There must be companies out there that allow payments by non DD so this is why I am reaching out to you as someone may know,
    Out of interest, who's your existing insurer? I've never heard of an insurance company going out of business before. Being bought out, laying people off etc, yes, but actually going out of business, as in running out of money? They must be very generous at paying out and/ or have very bad service if the incoming premiums can't cover the costs.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a01020304 wrote: »
    I have a prepaid card account with visa debit, it is not a bank account or credit card.
    grumpyscot's suggestion of a recurring payment may well work with that card. I'd start by calling the Post Office and asking.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick google and I found the post office seem to do what you require:

You can pay by debit or credit card in monthly instalments or annually.
    http://www.postoffice.co.uk/car-insurance

Re: bank accounts, I know you said you don't want challenging and feel free to disregard but are you sure you can't get a basic bank account? They are usually offered to people with poor credit ratings. Most banks offer a basic account.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Gogfumble;71851962Most banks offer a basic account.[/QUOTE]

In fact, they are required to, by law!
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    In fact, they are required to, by law!

I thought so but wasn't sure.
  • Options
    theworldisajoketheworldisajoke Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Out of interest, who's your existing insurer? I've never heard of an insurance company going out of business before. Being bought out, laying people off etc, yes, but actually going out of business, as in running out of money? They must be very generous at paying out and/ or have very bad service if the incoming premiums can't cover the costs.

Sorry cannot answer the OP's question but in response to above, it happens more than you may think - I worked for a company I worked for some years ago - can happen for many reasons but should never be allowed to happen due to the strict financial regulations they have to follow. I can however say there is always a way to hide the numbers which hides the facts from the regulators! >:(