Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 8)

Comments

• ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    How am I the one who's being personal, bitchy and snippy? I was not the one saying that Carla and Michelle need to lighten their hair because they are 'old' (your words not mine). You are being ageist, not me. So you can take this :oback

BIB Not a chance.

As for the hair comments, no-one was being ageist. When women get older dark dyed hair is not flattering. It was said that Carla has already gone lighter and if not now Michelle wil need to. So keep your drawers on.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    sam_gee wrote: »
    It was so stupid the way she said she'd put them a bag of crisps each in . How old are they? Five? :D
    Leftover chocolates from Christmas. Blimey. :eek:
    Yes. Just any old sandwich.
    In Corrie land you can ask for a bacon barm, but get served a roll.

Bacon sarnie, bacon sandwich, bacon butty........as long as the customer gets a slice of bread with bacon he's happy. :D
    All this going on with Tina and Peter has side lined Rita. You never see them together anymore. I am dreading
    Tina getting murdered, imagine the crying Rita is going to do
    In tears, wearing a black ensemble, muttering "stupid/silly girl............"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At Carla's step-father's funeral we had avenging crows. Dare we even think what Carla and Michelle wear to St.Tina's funeral? :o:o:o :D
  • ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, not a SOR, just a question. What is a barm cake? Is it a sort of roll or is it sweet?Up here we ask for a roll and bacon, remember being down south and asking for a roll and sausage and they brought a sausage roll:confused:
  • sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    Just an off topic post but I LOVE the phrase 'Avenging crows' :D
  • MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, not a SOR, just a question. What is a barm cake? Is it a sort of roll or is it sweet?Up here we ask for a roll and bacon, remember being down south and asking for a roll and sausage and they brought a sausage roll:confused:

"A traditional Barm Cake, still available in the north west of England from certain bakers, butchers and sandwich shops, is distinct from a simple bread roll. It is flat like an American Hamburger bun, but floured on top. It has a characteristic, strong flavour that comes from the traditional barm leaven made from a natural leaven with the addition of hops. It is not just another name for a bread roll; this false idea has come about by the introduction of cheaper non-traditional imitations."
  • ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meldrewman wrote: »
    "A traditional Barm Cake, still available in the north west of England from certain bakers, butchers and sandwich shops, is distinct from a simple bread roll. It is flat like an American Hamburger bun, but floured on top. It has a characteristic, strong flavour that comes from the traditional barm leaven made from a natural leaven with the addition of hops. It is not just another name for a bread roll; this false idea has come about by the introduction of cheaper non-traditional imitations."

Thanks for that!:)
  • cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thumbolina wrote: »
    Lots of bacon, a fried egg and melted grated cheese ... yummy. Deadly, but very yummy!

That really is making me hungry!! :p

And on a similar topic..... Not sure what the definition of "leftover" chocolate is? It's something that never happens in this house, unless it's Turkish Delight! ;)
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can't beat a good muffin though;-)
  • honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    BIB Not a chance.

As for the hair comments, no-one was being ageist. When women get older dark dyed hair is not flattering. It was said that Carla has already gone lighter and if not now Michelle wil need to. So keep your drawers on.
    Carla/The actress who plays her is nowhere near old enough to have to lighten her hair. :D
    I do get cross when people mix up their bread names, especially those who describe cobs as "buns" >
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodness me, I honestly can't believe some of the horrible, nasty comments on here about Stella.
    If she reads this thread, it must be very hurtful for her. She's actually not that bad to me anyway.
    Character pulling to bits if fine, that is what these threads are about but am I alone in thinking it's going to far now?

Whilst I think it's quite legit to discuss appearance in SOR terms when the characters are dressed or made up in weirdly inappropriate ways, I find it very unpleasant when the comments are just insults. They usually seem to be directed at women, often older women, and are often simply nasty. Calling someone a 'witch' or 'an old bag' or 'a hag' is horrible.
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't beat a good muffin though;-)

What was described above as a barm cake, we'd call a muffin round here, or sometimes an oven bottom. Muffins are not cake!

I don't think we can say that people mix up names for bread: it's more that every area has its own names which can be a bit confusing.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would a man in his twenties want a piece of someone who looks about 65?

Yuch!

She a MILF? :p
    I went into a £1 caff recently for the first time.
    You get one slice of bacon, an egg, sausage, beans and a small potato fritter thing all for £1 served all day.
    I just wanted a snack so I opted for a barm cake with bacon on. When it arrived it was the size of a side plate with four rounds of bacon on! :o that and a mug of steaming hot tea was £2. If I just got the barm it would have been £1

Back to SOR's

All this going on with Tina and Peter has side lined Rita. You never see them together anymore. I am dreading
    Tina getting murdered, imagine the crying Rita is going to do

Where is this caff, sounds like my kinda place. :p
    Rita will get drunk and go to the police station shouting 'Do you know who I am.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rita will get drunk and go to the police station shouting 'Do you know who I am.
    Are you referring to today's news (life imitating art!) or is this a coincidence - since Barbara Knox was caught for drink driving after driving to a police station after her daughter was caught drink driving!
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you referring to today's news (life imitating art!) or is this a coincidence - since Barbara Knox was caught for drink driving after driving to a police station after her daughter was caught drink driving!
    Yes, it's a reference to the news.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I think it's quite legit to discuss appearance in SOR terms when the characters are dressed or made up in weirdly inappropriate ways, I find it very unpleasant when the comments are just insults. They usually seem to be directed at women, often older women, and are often simply nasty. Calling someone a 'witch' or 'an old bag' or 'a hag' is horrible.

Glad it's not just me then.
    I think the actors would laugh their heads off if it was done in a SOR situation but, if it was on the actual person, I imagine they would be gutted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a reference to the news.

Better plot line than many in the programme! :)
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being in your thirties is "older" and you "have" to lighten your hair?

Pfft. Do they need a blue rinse too. *roll eyes*
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    At Carla's step-father's funeral we had avenging crows. Dare we even think what Carla and Michelle wear to St.Tina's funeral? :o:o:o :D
    Will either even turn up once the truth outs itself?

Knowing Michelle she'll be asked by Liz to throw a spread together.

And Carla, as long as she doesn't read that "Do not stand at my grave" poem I'm fine. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Being in your thirties is "older" and you "have" to lighten your hair?

Pfft. Do they need a blue rinse too. *roll eyes*

Late thirties! ;-)

As you are probably a bloke you won't have read articles in women's mags or online about hair colour:
    What ages you: Very dark color

In a quest to stay on top of multiplying grays, one can become overzealous with permanent color, layering it on, root to tip, every four to five weeks. The result? Hair that is monochromatic, potentially inky-dark and, as celebrity colorist Rita Hazan likes to say, wiggy. “Very deep color may have looked good in your twenties or thirties, but skin [of all tones] starts to lose pigment after 40, and the contrast between hair and skin becomes stark,” Hazan explains. Women with very dark complexions may be able to pull off deep color longer than the fair of face, but eventually everyone benefits from lightening a little. Umberto Savone, a stylist in Los *Angeles, points out that even Mother Nature is on board with a bit of brightening. “Gray hair grew in for a reason: to give your face a softer frame,” he says. Bottom line? Even if you choose to cover your gray, maintaining the same deep hue you had at 25 is probably not flattering.

http://www.more.com/6-hair-mistakes-old-how-to-fix

So a big pfft to you! Blue rinse indeed. :p

Just remember all that I said is that Carla has quite sensibly had her hair lightened from the blacker than black she used to have and that Michelle will need to soon! As I said to that other person, keep your drawers on mate! :p:p:p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will either even turn up once the truth outs itself?

Knowing Michelle she'll be asked by Liz to throw a spread together.

And Carla, as long as she doesn't read that "Do not stand at my grave" poem I'm fine. :D
    I dunno. If it does -come out no. But to hide their murderous ways - maybe. As for that 'Do not stand at my grave' poem, the Corrie writers will think we have forgotten they have used it before - TWICE! ;-)

Phew! I nearly forgot the spoiler tags. I wouldn't want to risk the wrath of or send meldrewman into meltdown yet again! It's ok Vic. You can look!;-):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno. If it does -come out no. But to hide their murderous ways - maybe. As for that 'Do not stand at my grave' poem, the Corrie writers will think we have forgotten they have used it before - TWICE! ;-)

Phew! I nearly forgot the spoiler tags. I wouldn't want to risk the wrath of or send meldrewman into meltdown yet again! It's ok Vic. You can look!;-):D

I take enough flak from 'er indoors for my pedantry - can I not even escape flak here!!! :o:(:cry:

(You now have me wondering if I'm being drawn into looking at spoilers I don't want to see. :D)

PS. I've retired from being the spoiler police - it rarely works - and will instead just sit here and tear my remaining hair out! :cool:
  • willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In Corrie land you can ask for a bacon barm, but get served a roll.

Bacon sarnie, bacon sandwich, bacon butty........as long as the customer gets a slice of bread with bacon he's happy. :D

A 'barm' is the term used for 'roll' up North, hence why they get served rolls when they ask for 'barms'.
  • David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was described above as a barm cake, we'd call a muffin round here, or sometimes an oven bottom. Muffins are not cake!

I don't think we can say that people mix up names for bread: it's more that every area has its own names which can be a bit confusing.

We own/run a cafe and takeaway In Heywood Lancashire and serve our sandwiches on Warburtons toast or a muffin.
    If a customer is not from the area they sometimes look confused when we ask if they would like a muffin so we have to show them what it looks like :)
    I usually ask what they would call it in their home town and it varies from
    Bread cake, roll, barm cake, tea cake or Stottie to name a few.
This discussion has been closed.