Better apart; Scots need democracy

Comments

• abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    J-B wrote: »
    Let 'em go it alone, and see how they survive off of an economy consisting solely of haggis, heroin, and shortbread.
    You forgot whisky and oil.

And with all that oil money to ourselves, well be rich, I tell you, rich!
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ridiculous that the 'Better Together' quango think that Scots should put up with a government they didn't vote for, since tories have negligible support there. Why do they claim to be democrats while expecting Scots to be ruled by a Westminster government they didn't vote for?

Don't worry. We feel the same way down here about Scottish MP's making decisions on England's future. As well as subsidizing your free prescriptions and University free education.
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McAllisters do a very fine shortbread, Sainsburys version is just too English to swallow
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let 'em go it alone, and see how they survive off of an economy consisting solely of haggis, heroin, and shortbread.

That sounds like a really terrible episode of Ready Steady Cook.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Don't worry. We feel the same way down here about Scottish MP's making decisions on England's future. As well as subsidizing your free prescriptions and University free education.

Such bitterness. Or is it just jealousy?
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a no supporter in this independence debate, I have to admit that the Better Together campaigners are an embarrassment sometimes!

That's not to say that Yes! Scotland aren't telling their fibs either, but they do make a better argument.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to put a damper on things, but the OIl money will not be going to Scotland. The oil money goes to the oil company, which are not Scottish, yes you have the taxes on it, but not all of the money.

Many people who will be voting yes, are doing it for the wrong reasons thinking they will be better off under Scottish rule, so things like free prescriptions, no water rates, no bedroom tax. That money has to come from somewhere, which means the Scottish people will face heavy taxes.

What currency will be used ?, how will Scotland pay for an army/navy/air force ?, which without Britain it will not have.

Two more things, Surely if Scotland does vote yes, surely the SNP will be defunct ?
    Secondly If I was the British PM, I would let them vote yes, then Invade and take it back.

This whole thing is just an ego trip for Alec Salmond, who thinks Scotland will be a big country and be invited to G8 summits etc, Simple fact, its not and he wont be invited.

Guess what nationality I am ?
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a no supporter in this independence debate, I have to admit that the Better Together campaigners are an embarrassment sometimes!

That's not to say that Yes! Scotland aren't telling their fibs either, but they do make a better argument.

Like that odious Darling **** claiming Scottish independence would be worse than the 08 financial crash?
  • TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    Having recently moved to mainland europe, I'm not voting in this, however if I were, I'd be voting yes.

British people are completely clueless, CLUELESS about their situation. They have no idea how much they are being lied to. You are all becoming fat, unhealthy, drunks (have become with this one) with an education system that is lowering its standards year after year because none of you are taking education seriously since you expect to be guaranteed a job and because you are constantly told "we're the best in the world", yet the average Englishman, Scotsman, Welshman and Irishman doesn't have a pot to pee in at the end of the month, has a mountain of debt and no savings or pension plan. You're constantly told that the rest of Europe doesn't have the modern conveniences that you do, like wifi and american hotdogs, and that you're lucky to be able to break your leg whenever you want because the NHS will pick up the bill. Well, if you actually read, you'd read that living standards in Europe are higher than in the UK (your poor are living worse than those in the ex-soviet bloc), people get their ailments treated quicker than you do and to a better standard. The UK is a big lie. It's a county run by the rich for the rich that are keeping the population ignorant and millions are suffering the indignity of having to go to food-banks while at the same time being blamed for their situation, which in some cases is caused by complacency, that as I mentioned before is a result of your own self drive being run down to the ground.

That's GREAT Britain. A massive lie.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a monumental waste of time, energy and money. They're not going anywhere. Everyone knows it, England know it, Scotland know it, even those who are behind the 'Yes' vote know it. Yet to pander to all those who believe this giant time wasting exercise of a referendum is some God given right, we're all just playing along.

We all should be ashamed.....and when there's a resounding 'No' vote after the referendum, we should all hang our heads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a monumental waste of time, energy and money. They're not going anywhere. Everyone knows it, England know it, even those who are behind the 'Yes' vote know it. Yet to pander to all those who believe this giant time wasting exercise of a referendum is a right, we're all just playing along.

We all should be ashamed.....and when there's a resounding 'No' vote after the referendum, we should all hang our heads.

I could say the same about the EU. Doesn't mean we should not have a say though.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    At least the Scots have the opportunity to vote for the main Westminster parties- unlike here where only the tory party fields candidates and nobody votes for them anyway! Scots have it better off than we do.

Correct but I don't really think not being as bad as Northern Ireland is a great deal to settle for in fairness.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    What a monumental waste of time, energy and money. They're not going anywhere. Everyone knows it, England know it, Scotland know it, even those who are behind the 'Yes' vote know it. Yet to pander to all those who believe this giant time wasting exercise of a referendum is some God given right, we're all just playing along.

There is nothing to be ashamed of. The SNP are the government in Scotland and are perfectly entitled to hold a referendum. Independence is their raison d'etre after all.
    Forum Member

At the moment neither yes nor no have a majority, with 20+ % being undecided, so what's going to change from now until then to give us a resounding NO vote?

Just wishing everyone is going to share your opinion isn't going to change anything, you have to educate yourself and others if you hope to win the case. So, what's your actual opinion? What do you know that I don't?
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member

Have you ever tried to come up with something original ? Go on try...
    Forum Member
    TYCO wrote: »
    At the moment neither yes nor no have a majority, with 20+ % being undecided, so what's going to change from now until then to give us a resounding NO vote?

Just wishing everyone is going to share your opinion isn't going to change anything, you have to educate yourself and others if you hope to win the case. So, what's your actual opinion? What do you know that I don't?

Bit rich coming from link man.
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »

Hows that 15 billion rail set going for London, enjoying the London arts scene are we ?
    Central government spending on arts and culture in the capital amounted to £69 per resident in 2012-13, compared with £4.60 per person elsewhere in England.
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »
    Bit rich coming from link man.

Do you have a better source of news and information other than the news?
    Forum Member
    Do you have a better source of news and information other than the news?

Do you get a nose bleed from up there on that moral high ground do you ?
    But we are just a nation of fat drunks so I am surprised that you condescend to interact with us.
    Time to take your next smug pill.
    Forum Member
    Having recently moved to mainland europe, I'm not voting in this, however if I were, I'd be voting yes.

British people are completely clueless, CLUELESS about their situation. They have no idea how much they are being lied to. You are all becoming fat, unhealthy, drunks (have become with this one) with an education system that is lowering its standards year after year because none of you are taking education seriously since you expect to be guaranteed a job and because you are constantly told "we're the best in the world", yet the average Englishman, Scotsman, Welshman and Irishman doesn't have a pot to pee in at the end of the month, has a mountain of debt and no savings or pension plan. You're constantly told that the rest of Europe doesn't have the modern conveniences that you do, like wifi and american hotdogs, and that you're lucky to be able to break your leg whenever you want because the NHS will pick up the bill. Well, if you actually read, you'd read that living standards in Europe are higher than in the UK (your poor are living worse than those in the ex-soviet bloc), people get their ailments treated quicker than you do and to a better standard. The UK is a big lie. It's a county run by the rich for the rich that are keeping the population ignorant and millions are suffering the indignity of having to go to food-banks while at the same time being blamed for their situation, which in some cases is caused by complacency, that as I mentioned before is a result of your own self drive being run down to the ground.

That's GREAT Britain. A massive lie.

What a lot of sweeping generalizations and inaccuracies based on your own bigoted view of the world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    Yup, that someone off on a rant full of hyperbole isn't worth engaging in a rational discussion :)

ETA: Also, don’t confuse amusement with insult.

Most of the Better Together campaigners then.
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snellster wrote: »
    Sorry to put a damper on things, but the OIl money will not be going to Scotland. The oil money goes to the oil company, which are not Scottish, yes you have the taxes on it, but not all of the money.

Many people who will be voting yes, are doing it for the wrong reasons thinking they will be better off under Scottish rule, so things like free prescriptions, no water rates, no bedroom tax. That money has to come from somewhere, which means the Scottish people will face heavy taxes.

What currency will be used ?, how will Scotland pay for an army/navy/air force ?, which without Britain it will not have.

Two more things, Surely if Scotland does vote yes, surely the SNP will be defunct ?
    Secondly If I was the British PM, I would let them vote yes, then Invade and take it back.

This whole thing is just an ego trip for Alec Salmond, who thinks Scotland will be a big country and be invited to G8 summits etc, Simple fact, its not and he wont be invited.

Guess what nationality I am ?

Wow. Just wow.