Options

Driving in high heels..

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What shoes do you use to drive in? I have some platform courts and, (now that the weather has turned warmer), some wedge sandals. I can't drive in them as I can't 'feel' the pedals.

I'm going to have to buy some flat pumps or something and change every time I think. Is it just me? Or do other people find driving in heels difficult?

Comments

• Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I always drive in trainers unless I am wearing ballet pumps or my really old flat boots that have a really flat light sole, as like you I can't feel the pedals. If I am going on short journeys in the summer I can drive in Birkenstocks.
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always drive in flats. I haven't ever even tried driving in heels.

If I'm wearing heels I always have a pair of ballet pumps in my handbag whether I'm planning on driving or not! :)
  • Options
    tynka belltynka bell Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Most of the time I drive in bare feet and have done so for many years ... although still not sure if it is illegal or not!!!
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tynka bell wrote: »
    Most of the time I drive in bare feet and have done so for many years ... although still not sure if it is illegal or not!!!

I think it is illegal .... but i do it too. Im fine in the winter as i wear flat boots, but i cant drive in sandals. So, i slip them off under the seat and drive bare footed.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I drive in pumps, so comfy :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I think it is illegal .... but i do it too. Im fine in the winter as i wear flat boots, but i cant drive in sandals. So, i slip them off under the seat and drive bare footed.

It isn't. I remember reading in my highway code book that it isn't illegal, but it isn't recommended either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew a copper who once arrested a girl for driving in roller skates.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never wear anything with less than about 3 or 4 inch heels and no problems with driving in any of them.
  • Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    i can drive in heels, however prefer not to so it doesnt wreck the back of the heels
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm....thanks for the replies. Think I might get me some flat pumps for driving. I don't wear them now as I'm not very tall.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    pair of flats or sandals during the summer
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what 'driving shoes' are for. I keep a pair in the car. They're v comfy for driving in...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I always drive in flats. I haven't ever even tried driving in heels.

If I'm wearing heels I always have a pair of ballet pumps in my handbag whether I'm planning on driving or not! :)

Neither have I. I was driving back from a party on Saturday night that I had wore heels for but I had my Ugg style boots waiting in the car for my to change into. I will do the same this Saturday when I drive back from a wedding.
    I usually just drive in whatever I have got on - sandals, ballerinas, pumps or boots, they are all flat though. I have even drove in my slippers but that was just moving the car out of the driveway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always drive in heels, in fact when I have some flip flops on in the summer, I have to move the seat slightly as I cant reach the peddal as with my wedge soles, I can sit further back. Dont understand the need to "feel" the peddals, you can do that with any shoe on. It comes down to what shoes you wear most, if you hardly wear heels, then fair enough you are not going to be used to driving in them.
  • Options
    BeccyJayne2247BeccyJayne2247 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never used to be able to drive in heels but then one day I had them on at work and forgot them, just got in the car and started to drive and it was fine!! I can drive in even my highest heels now :-)

I can't drive in flip flops though as they always feel like thay are falling off my feet when I have my foot on the pedals!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potentially very dangerous as the pivoting heel has little contact with the floor.

Even deck shoes rubber soles can slip alarmingly off rubber pedals when wet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    My driving instructor for some reason told me never to drive in heels :confused: But I had them on once and didn't have any flats with me and I was fine driving in them, so now I drive in whatever I have on whether they're heels or flats.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I have ridden my motorbike in bare feet. Bit painful on the big toe when up-shifting though.
  • Options
    gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can drive in heels but it ruins them.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Flats for me after reading a report about injuries caused by driving in heels. *shudder* :eek:

Bugger that. Flats for driving, change into heels for sexxeee time! :D
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who drives in heels is an idiot
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drive in whatever shoes I'm wearing....:o
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    dd68 wrote: »
    Anyone who drives in heels is an idiot

I do think it's more dangerous. Things might be fine most of the time, but it only takes one slight incident to cause an accodent, potentially a fatal one. Why make driving more difficult than it needs to be? Madness and very selfish.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum said when she was younger she put her high heel through the floor of the car when she was driving. :eek:

The floor of the car must have been very weak or she had very sharp high heels.
  • Options
    bridgetbbridgetb Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I drive, walk even run in massive heels - I am just used to them now :)