Options

Does having stitches removed hurt?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
Forum Member
✭✭
I had surgery on my ankle a 9 days ago, I have a dressing and apparently stitches which I am having removed on Thursday. I've had many operations but they've always used dissolvable stitches. So does it hurt having ordinary stitches removed?

Comments

• Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    msmasood wrote: »
    I had surgery on my ankle a 9 days ago, I have a dressing and apparently stitches which I am having removed on Thursday. I've had many operations but they've always used dissolvable stitches. So does it hurt having ordinary stitches removed?

No.....apart from a little tugging sensation
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with the above. If you have any pain, ask them to put a saline soak on for a couple of minutes to release any congealed blood around them and they should come out pain free. Or have a bath just before going :)
  • Options
    missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just feels like tugging. I was told to take a big breath and they pulled one out as I took the breath. It was quick and not uncomfortable.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, not a bit.

Have had stitches removed from my forehead (twice) and my hand. Total of 30 in all.

Didn't hurt a bit.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    No worse than squeezing a spot.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    I would agree, it doesn't hurt - I've had plenty over the years (but none recently).
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does feel weird, but doesn't hurt too much (mine were on my stomach where I'd had abdominal surgery, so was still a bit tender)
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    It feels a bit like squeezing a spot- not pleasant but a relief
    The only pain comes if a scab gets dislodged- however due to the trauma of surgery the skin surrounding the incision has a degree of numbness.
    You will be fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you all! I think I'll take a couple of painkillers before, bit of a whimp!
  • Options
    alr837alr837 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must have been unlucky, I found it total and utter agony! I had over 60 removed from either side of my ankle 3 weeks post surgery, and despite the codeine tablets I was taking at the time, I almost kicked the very lovely dr! As it was I having them taken out at home due to various reasons, and the dr was a close family friend, but I never want to go through that again! After the first handful I couldn't stand it anymore, and landed up having several medicinal large vodkas to help take the edge off it
    Never understood how it hurt so much, especially given I have virtually no feeling where the scars are!
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I had stsitches on my ankle a few years back. They don't hurt at all being removed, more of a tugging sensation.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It depends on your pain threshold.

I remove surgical wound clips & sutures on a regular basis & some patients will scream as if they're being murdered; some will wince a little & others you won't hear a peep from.

I can't understand those that scream as if they're being forced to listen to Cheryl Cole singing live, because I can't imagine that it would be that painful, but everyone is different & has different thresholds
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    It didn't hurt me, I could just feel my skin being tugged - this is coming from someone who thinks injections and having blood taken is painful.
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member

As everyone else has said, it's just a tugging sensation.

But I'm really curious to know. What would you have done if everyone had said it's f*****g agony?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had many operations and some major ones that have been around 12hours. I've also had rods in my spine and was out of hospital two days later. But I've always had dissovable stitches so never experienced having them taken out. Despite all the ops, I hate any minor procedures and seem to be worse with them.
    If everyone said it was agony I'd of taken my boyfriend with me and made sure he was feeling my pain too :)
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben P wrote: »
    It didn't hurt me, I could just feel my skin being tugged - this is coming from someone who thinks injections and having blood taken is painful.

It bloody is painful :D

Hope you get on well with your stitches OP. I'm sure it won't hurt as much as whatever caused you to have the operation in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had stitches removed! Its more painful having my eyebrows plucked :) but thank you all!!
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    Had stitches removed! Its more painful having my eyebrows plucked :) but thank you all!!

If you'd mentioned you have your eyebrows plucked we could have told you that :D