Options

Last Movie You Watched? (Part 6)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles - it’s nice to sometimes watch simple comedies like this. This film stars Steve Martin and John Candy as they struggle to get home for Thanksgiving. I enjoyed it, 7/10

One of my favourite films :)
  • Options
    emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,167
    Forum Member
    Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009) - 6.5/10
  • Options
    JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Keeper Of Lost Causes (Kvinden i buret) (2013) 6/10
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost In Thailand (LINK)

An ok comedy from China. There are some laughs but nothing memorable. This film was a HUGE blockbuster hit in China in 2012. I read somewhere that it's China's highest grossing film of all time and that Chinese tourists have been visiting various locations where the film was made - and causing headaches for the locals lol. Honestly, I cannot fathom why it was such a huge hit over there. It's nothing you haven't seen before - and it has been done better time and time again. It's fairly amusing but ultimately forgettable.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    Lost In Thailand (LINK)

An ok comedy from China. There are some laughs but nothing memorable. This film was a HUGE blockbuster hit in China in 2012. I read somewhere that it's China's highest grossing film of all time and that Chinese tourists have been visiting various locations where the film was made - and causing headaches for the locals lol. Honestly, I cannot fathom why it was such a huge hit over there. It's nothing you haven't seen before - and it has been done better time and time again. It's fairly amusing but ultimately forgettable.

Something interesting I've noticed about China's box office, almost all of the highest grossing films have been in the last 5 or 6 years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_China

The box office potential in China seems to have exploded in the last couple of years. Either that or the Chinese haven't updated their BO results before 2010 except for Titanic. China isn't traditionally known for its film industry. But audiences there seem to be developing their tastes as the economy booms and the Chinese middle class expands. Even Hollywood wants a piece of the action now.

We in the West though shouldn't be too judgmental, we ourselves finance awful Adam Sandler movies and the like. Here in the UK I still don't understand how Mamma Mia! became the 6th highest grossing film ever :D
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PACIFIC RIM - 8half/10
    hugely enjoyable rock 'n' sock em with big robots and big monsters ..... although some of the human interaction can slow it down, it makes it all worthwhile in the end, and a very nice story with stacker pentacost and mako mori

and i still think charlie hunnan is a good leading man
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just these

White House Down , 6
    Encino Man , 5
    Kristin's Christmas Past (2013) 5

Since these

A Christmas Wedding Date 2012 5 out of 10
    Matchmaker Santa 2012 4
    A Dog Year (2009) 5
    The Adjustment Bureau 6

:)
  • Options
    MJsDirtyDianaMJsDirtyDiana Posts: 374,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules (2011) - 10/10. This was on TV whilst I was having my dinner - only planned to watch for 20 minutes or so but was enjoying it so watched to the end. Very funny!

Babe (1995) - 10/10. Such a wonderful film. :):kitty:
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched The Artist on TV last night. Never really fancied it but thought it was incredibly well done and for a change it was a film that deserved all the hype.

Wish I'd seen it in the cinema now.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despicable Me 2..loved it 8.5/10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Living (Zhit) (2012) 9/10
    A Quiet Life (Una vita tranquilla) (2010) 6/10
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One for the Money [2012]. Director: Julie Anne Robinson

6/10

Moderately amusing crime caper well played by Katherine Heigl.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Romancing The Bride 7/10

Woman wakes up married to a Mexican stranger on the eve of her real wedding. It's a TV movie but it's got some hysterical lines in it that really had me laughing out loud, all the best ones delivered by Carrie Fisher herself.

If you want some fun fluff, with gorgeous Acapulco as the filming location, then this isn't a bad film to sit down to for a bit of light entertainment. I had a great time with a smile on my face.
  • Options
    TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long Weekend. (1978) 7/10.

The story concerns a couple, Peter (Hargreaves) and Marcia (Behets), who, along with their dog, go for a weekend camping trip. The pair show incredible disrespect for nature, such as polluting, killing a dugong, throwing lit cigarette butts in dry bush, and spraying insecticide, among other transgressions. As tensions between the couple escalate, nature is not pleased with their environmental wrongdoing and starts to strike back, first by an eagle and possum attacking Peter, and then through more insidious means...
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robocop 2014 - 7.5/10 - very satisfying and me wants a sequel.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bullet to the Head - 3/10
    Stallone actioner. The best bits are few and far between and all star Jason Momoa.
    (Don't know how this has got 4 and a bit stars on Prime/Lovefilm)

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell - 5/10
    Several stories chopped up and amalgamated into one film from the life of internet celebrity and author Tucker Max.
    Having read the stories the film pales.

Boondock Saints 2 - 7.5/10
    Not quite as good as the first but Sean Patrick Flanery & Norman Reedus are still great as vigilante brothers Connor & Murphy. Still hoping for the apparently "still planned" third film.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The American - Fairly low key film set in Italy, starring George Clooney as a gunsmith losing the plot. Just about worth watching once, especially for the scenery and Violante Placido.

Not a keeper.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Deep (2013) - Based on a 'true' story about a fisherman whose boat capsizes and he has to survive in the freezing sea. Definitely the film's strongest point is when they're out at sea. Can't wait to see the director's next film 'Everest' with Jake Gyllenhaal..

7/10

Tangled - Really cute Disney fun. Some of the slapstick with the prince is a bit hit and miss but the overall animation (particularly Rapunzel) and the songs are beautiful. I even got a bit emotional in a few scenes :blush:

8/10
  • Options
    David AndersonDavid Anderson Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Full Metal Jacket (1987) - A brilliant film from Stanley Kubrick. 8/10.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toy Story 3...brilliant 9/10
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer [UK: Bachelor Knight][1947]. Director: Irving Reis

7/10

Sharply scripted comic tale of a 17 year old schoolgirl's infatuation with a man twice her age. Shirley Temple and Cary Grant are the unlikely twosome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Way (Mai wei) (2011) 8/10
    A Walk In The Sun (1945) 8/10
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    American Hustle - 7/10

Not as good as I expected it to be. Christian Bale was fantastic though.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Kick Ass 2 - Not as good as the first.
  • Options
    Tindie_BaisTindie_Bais Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Proxy (2013)

This movie as a nasty opening, with lady who heavy pregnant and his mugged by some person in hooded, who really wanted her unborn baby dead.

Then Esther wakes up in the hospital and find out her unborn baby is dead, you might think you feel sorry for,

As the moves goes learn, ( all the women in this movie are Messed up) As learn, start of the movie, was not want seemed.

First hour is about Esther , who first feel sorry for until the curve and then she become friends with another women in group Melanie

So Esther gets closer to her but is hurt by her lies, so she does something really unforgivable.

There some slow parts in the movie, about hour into, I love the slow motion scene, .

Melanie take center stage of the next hour and lead to ending moment, which may surprise people.

I enjoyed, until very last scene a abrupt ending

However this isn't really a horror movie, it felt more like very dark drama , with some blood moments here and there.

6/7 out of 10
This discussion has been closed.