Options

Grand National 2014

Comments

• Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Long Run- its his 9th birthday tomorrow, plus the jockey has his deceased brothers' name stitched onto his saddle. Just have a feeling it could be.

Mountainous- admire Jamie Moore as a jockey.

Alvarado- likes a marathon trip, i like the name too :-D

I love Long Run, such a great horse.

Good luck mate
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked a civil question, if you don't like it, don't reply.

I actually gave a pretty decent appraisal earlier in the forum of my choice and my reasoning for why it would go well and it received nil response, but you don't get me whining about it, whereas we have only just got your tip without any reasoning of yours other than you usually oppose the favourite but this time choose not to.

There are serious horse racing forums out there where reasoning is plentiful, maybe you want to try those rather than picking at people in here just wanting to post the name of the horse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually gave a pretty decent appraisal earlier in the forum of my choice and my reasoning for why it would go well and it received nil response, but you don't get me whining about it, whereas we have only just got your tip without any reasoning of yours other than you usually oppose the favourite but this time choose not to.

There are serious horse racing forums out there where reasoning is plentiful, maybe you want to try those rather than picking at people in here just wanting to post the name of the horse.

Point 1 - see post 3 and you will see my selection and reasoning

Point 2 - this is a SPORTS fourm, to post in it you must be seeking out a sports thread so therefore you have an interest or knowledge in sport. The pinstickers Grand National thread will be in chatter or general not sport
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Point 1 - see post 3 and you will see my selection and reasoning

Point 2 - this is a SPORTS fourm, to post in it you must be seeking out a sports thread so therefore you have an interest or knowledge in sport. The pinstickers Grand National thread will be in chatter or general not sport

Sorry, Iike most people I couldn't really be bothered trawling back 40 odd posts. Again I note you have no observations on my choice of Tidal Bay or the reasoning.

On the other point great work as the sports forums self appointed moderator. If people want to post a horse whether they like its form or it has a name connection then they should be allowed to do so without you butting in. I wasn't even rude about it, I just don't know why everyone has to come up with reasoning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, Iike most people I couldn't really be bothered trawling back 40 odd posts. Again I note you have no observations on my choice of Tidal Bay or the reasoning.

On the other point great work as the sports forums self appointed moderator. If people want to post a horse whether they like its form or it has a name connection then they should be allowed to do so without you butting in. I wasn't even rude about it, I just don't know why everyone has to come up with reasoning.

I like Tidal Bay but don't fancy it to win tomorrow. Hope he gets around safely but others catch my eye more

DS rule state posts should be constructive, I was merely asking people why they selected that particular horse. I am intrigued to know as it helps me decide on my other bets too, is that such a hardship to ask ? Plus you are assuming they are name selections etc, Bob posted his reasoning so thanks to him. Only person who hasn't was the guy on page one who selected a horse which isn't even running. He said it was "easy money" so I asked him why. Nothing wrong with that is there ?

ps - as this is post 31, how do you get a total of 40 odd posts ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Night In Milan was declared when the question was asked so I don't see why it is a problem.

I cant really be bothered arguing with you. You aren't exactly the most civil with your own posts, to tell the truth.

I am sure those posting horses without reasoning are hardly breaking rules on the need to be constructive. If people want to give it fine if not then leave them alone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Night In Milan was declared when the question was asked so I don't see why it is a problem.

I cant really be bothered arguing with you. You aren't exactly the most civil with your own posts, to tell the truth.

I am sure those posting horses without reasoning are hardly breaking rules on the need to be constructive. If people want to give it fine if not then leave them alone.

Night In Milan was never in the 40

Please don't resort to rudeness about me, that is uncalled for.

I never said they were breaking rules, I was merely pointing out that anybody posting in a sports thread, not chatter, not general, must know a bit about sport so I was asking them why they chose the horse they did.

You started the argument and now resorting to personal insults. No need for that Alan.

I hope you have fun at Aintree tomorrow. Only being the once myself, 2003, but it was a cracking day out. Boiling hot too I remember but came home a damn sight bloody poorer than when I set off. Ha :D
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've put a quid on five horses.

NAME - Colbert Station
    REASON - I like Stephen Colbert

NAME - One in a Milan
    REASON - Reminds me of Italian football innit

NAME - Shakalakaboomboom
    REASON - I used to love NBA Jam, although in one version the term was actually 'boomshakalaka' so I may seek refund

NAME - Tidal Bay
    REASON - Standing Ovation was withdrawn

NAME - Monbeg Dude
    REASON - Up until I was 12 we'd always go to Scotland every year because half my family's from there. I used to always look forward to it, but not the five hour train journey! My family would always laugh at me for being English which I took in good humour. One year we went to St Andrews and my dad played golf there, another year I remember going to Ayr. Freezing it was out on the beach but so tranquil with it. Anyway, while playing around some bigger boys came over and threatened to beat me up. I asked them not to and they said it wasn't good enough. What do you want me to do? I asked. "'Mon, beg dude" they said.

Also, he seems to be in decent form.
  • Options
    Hibs-kid-2007Hibs-kid-2007 Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    Can't look away from Balthazar King, again took it at Chelteham.

Monbeg Dude and Triolo D'Alene also.

Undecided on my outsider each way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't look away from Balthazar King, again took it at Chelteham.

Monbeg Dude and Triolo D'Alene also.

Undecided on my outsider each way.

I backed Triolo D'Alene in the Gold Cup, he jumped well and looks like he can go all day but I would rather him be ridden by AP.

I don't know if it is just me but there seem to be a lot of Cheltenham horses in the National this year. Well seems that way to me, probably no more or less than usual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please don't resort to rudeness about me, that is uncalled for.

I never said they were breaking rules, I was merely pointing out that anybody posting in a sports thread, not chatter, not general, must know a bit about sport so I was asking them why they chose the horse they did.

You started the argument and now resorting to personal insults. No need for that Alan.

I hope you have fun at Aintree tomorrow. Only being the once myself, 2003, but it was a cracking day out. Boiling hot too I remember but came home a damn sight bloody poorer than when I set off. Ha :D

Havent put a single personal insult your way, nothing you haven't produced yourself to me.

I wasn't even seeking an argument, I was just saying we don't need everyone to play Jim McGrath when selecting horses once a year for fun. Nothing more or less than that.

I have done OK today, made up for Thursday which was a complete duck egg. Have got something from every race so far, with three winners and two good each ways. Done Ataglance and a small one on Citizenship which is obviously a rank outsider.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No but at the time he was discussed he was still very much amongst those who might have made the final cut. Only three needed to be dropped out for him to get in.

I doubt personally he would have had much hope anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Havent put a single personal insult your way, nothing you haven't produced yourself to me.

I wasn't even seeking an argument, I was just saying we don't need everyone to play Jim McGrath when selecting horses once a year for fun. Nothing more or less than that.

I have done OK today, made up for Thursday which was a complete duck egg. Have got something from every race so far, with three winners and two good each ways. Done Ataglance and a small one on Citizenship which is obviously a rank outsider.

You have said my posts aren't civil and you have insulted me in another thread in football, which is totally unrelated. I will leave it at that but bad form Alan.

I am doing alright in the tipping comp. Might be leading actually, but I haven't had a single bet yet. Saving myself for tomorrow when it all goes belly up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If jokingly comparing someone to Winston Churchill is regarded as insult, I give up.
  • Options
    zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    If jokingly comparing someone to Winston Churchill is regarded as insult, I give up.

Maybe he liked Neville Chamberlain?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zieler wrote: »
    Maybe he liked Neville Chamberlain?

I didn't like any Tories
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like any Tories

He was ok at Liverpool, but hasn't done much for us. :)

I'm not really into horse racing, prefer to lose my money on football. But it's that time of the year, so I've been looking at the National form.
    I'm going for Rocky Creek and Mountainous. Rocky Creek appears to have a touch of class and 16/1 seems a reasonable price. Mountainous stays forever, but probably lacks the pace to make any impression. But at 40/1 he should at least finish, and who knows ?
    Teaforthree seems poor value for money to me, Tidal Bay is a 13 year old (bit long in the tooth? ) Long Run's jumping can be suspect ( according to some "expert" I was reading)
    To be honest, I haven't a clue. But it's always fun trying to beat the bookies. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Rocky Creek. He has star quality. I think he might love this test.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Rocky Creek. He has star quality. I think he might love this test.

Yes, that's what I thought. You obviously know your stuff, do you think it might be a bit too soon for him ? He's only an 8 year old and hasn't had much experience.

Picking your brains, are there any horses this year that have been trained with this race specifically in mind ? I've always noticed in other years that they can sometimes surprise the market, maybe not winning but gaining a place at long odds.
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really fancied Tidal Bay last year and he didn't make the race due to injury, this year I've seen nothing to change my mind about him still being my big fancy.

Stays all day, been targeted at the race all season, probably the class horse in the field (along with Long Run), well in at the weights even as top weight.

Negatives are the trends, 13 year olds haven't won for donkeys years and top weight hasn't won since Red Rum! I won with Neptune Collonges in 2012 though and the trends said grays never win before him so take that for what you want :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One absolute certainty I will bet on.

I bet there are more people on here who tip the winner AFTER the race than before it :) Happens every year.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 Mountainous
    2 Balthazar King
    3 Tidal Bay
    4 The Package
    5 Hawkes Point

Really open this year, stack of decent 40/1 shots, Across the Bay is another.
  • Options
    Renegade MasterRenegade Master Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Across The Bay is my shout
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One absolute certainty I will bet on.

I bet there are more people on here who tip the winner AFTER the race than before it :) Happens every year.
    General Discussion is letting me down this year, made it to the eve of the race and there isn't a 'ban the grand national' thread from the once a year animal rights activists they're slacking!

As sure as someone will be aftertiming on here backing the winner there will be that thread before 4:30 tomorrow it's Digital Spy tradition :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psycho_Ned wrote: »
    General Discussion is letting me down this year, made it to the eve of the race and there isn't a 'ban the grand national' thread from the once a year animal rights activists they're slacking!

As sure as someone will be aftertiming on here backing the winner there will be that thread before 4:30 tomorrow it's Digital Spy tradition :p

You are kidding Ned ? Wow, that must be a record. Bound to be one though