Budget laptop - Lenovo or HP?

XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
Forum Member
I am looking for a budget laptop, approx £400. I use it for internet browsing, my uni work, and watching YouTube, DVDs, iplayer etc.

I've found a few models that fit my need and wondered which is a better brand; Lenovo or HP?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both will be pretty much the same
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at some online retailers and see if there are any reviews and ratings from previous purchasers. You have to read these with a pinch of salt of course, there are always a few from fanboys of other products, and from plonkers who couldn't figure out how to switch the device on, but the comments can still be useful, especially if someone mentions a killer missing feature, or if there are a large number of reviews and a particularly good or bad rating.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Based purely on brand reputation, I'd go for Lenovo.

However, £300 is the entry level for notebooks, so they will all be built down to a price.
  • Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At that price, go with the Lenovo

In my experience they have better build quality than units from acer etc.

What you loose in a speed you with never notice etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd pick Lenovo
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you can get pointy stick things with lenovo so you don't have to do the spider thing on the touchpad
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the next price level up, Lenovo have a much better reputation than HP. But I'm far from sure whether that would be significant at the budget end of the scale.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For budget laptops been buying Thosiba at the moment. Seem slightly better built then the likes of Acer and budget HP models. Also have a look at Asus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Also have a look at Asus.
    Yes, that's a good idea (IMHO).