Options

BT extra channels / powerline adaptors

Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone have the extra BT channels (e.g. BT Sport delivered via the internet) running over powerline adaptors? Or do you really have to have the TV hard wired to the router for these channels to be received?
BT sell their own powerline adaptors but no mention is made as to whether they actually work with internet delivered TV channels.

Comments

• Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you talk to BT they will tell you that you need a direct connection between the BT router and the BT Vision box.

However I have been told by BT Technical Support people that the BT Vision box will work with Powerline Adaptors, however it isn't a supported configuration.

I have used mine with Powerline Adaptors and it does work, however the picture can be prone to freezing, blocking, etc. >:(

I ended up running my own cable around the outside of the house and having a direct connection. :)
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im using TP Link 200 + pass though powerline adaptors with the old style BT Youview box in living room and all is working 98%/99% fine with the 20 extra channels and BT sport. Even the HD extra bolt on works. I also have the BT film and box set bolt on.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the replies. I might give it a shot rather than have to trail cables around the house.
  • Options
    ash45ash45 Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    i can also confirm that power line adapters do work with all the live channels including HD i have my second box running on some tp link 200 ones and they work flawlessly and i have them in a really crappy setup too yet still work fine. basically i have my home plugs on the end of a 6 way extension rather than at the main socket because the socket in the room is at the opposite side of where the YV box is and they still work fine no glitching or anything

Ash
  • Options
    seamasterseamaster Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    Yep. I've been a triallist for BT Sport over ADSL, and I have two YouView boxes, one of which is in a second room connected using BT powerline adaptors. Works perfectly.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - use Powerline AV 200 or 500 standard adapters and you should be fine. Anything less than Powerline AV 200 isn't going to be up to it.

I use Netgears with a XAV5004 combined adapter / switch at the AV equipment end. Works flawlessly.

But it does depend on the state of your mains wiring. Hence if you have any problems BT won't help you. They say to use a cable to eliminate Powerline adapters from their responsibility.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is upstairs connected by some right old crap Solwise adapters and the extra channels work flawlessly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought a pair of BT Powerline adaptors and they work a treat.
    Cheers.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you subscribe to the extra channels and take the new G4 box what if anything would you receive on an already purchased retail YouView box ?
  • Options
    ash45ash45 Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    No one should ever use powerline adapters. They are bad technology that cause interference to other users of the RF spectrum. A wired connection is faster, cheaper, and does not cause interference.

http://www.ban-plt.co.uk
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/whitepaper195
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page22.htm#PLT

for god sake man will you stop hijacking and spamming everyone's power line threads if you care that much about the subject make you own post and let people read it if they care enough and stop just being rude ramming your useless info on every one, as we've being through on other threads some people dont have a choice and they are the only options for them not every one can go running wires all over houses.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not hijacking threads or being rude. I'm giving good advice not useless info to someone who perhaps does not know how evil these things are.

Everyone has a choice not to use them. What would they do if they did not exist? They would run cables just like they do for their aerial and satellite feeds. It is not rocket science.

That is true but in the real world, where most of us live, it is not always possible to run cables and, for that reason, powerlines are a viable alternative that work.
  • Options
    scointerscointer Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am thinking of using them now just to annoy you :)
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubbish. If you can run aerial/satellite cables, you can run ethernet.

PLT is a crap alternative, they cause interference to other people.

I know this has been pointed out to you before Winston_1, but Aerial and Satellite cables are usually installed to enter the house near or behind where your TV is situated in the living room.

Telephone lines on the other hand historically enter the house in the hallway, which is not where people watch TV.

Running cables from the hall to the TV location is not convenient for a lot of people, especially those who are house proud or have other halves who hate the idea of cables / cable routes over walls, through door frames, snaking over wooden floors behind sofas etc etc. to reach their destination.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you subscribe to the extra channels and take the new G4 box what if anything would you receive on an already purchased retail YouView box ?

You should get all that your are subscribed to on the retail box as well as the Youview box BT give you.
    I got a Youview box BT gave me back in January when I upgraded my TV package to the entertanment extra channels and moved the retail Youview box that's now just under 2 years old to my bedroom and I get the same on both boxes.

Darren