Options

Steve Wright Longest serving Afternoon Show

occyoccy Posts: 65,148
Forum Member
✭✭
Give or take a few years Steve wasn't on the afternoon show he's been hosting the show ' Steve Wright In the afternoon' since 1981. Firstly Radio 1, then Radio 2. He's not received any award for it and should at least receive an academy.

Comments

• Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Give or take a few years Steve wasn't on the afternoon show he's been hosting the show ' Steve Wright In the afternoon' since 1981. Firstly Radio 1, then Radio 2. He's not received any award for it and should at least receive an academy.

Maybe its not awards material? He's getting a salary, is that not enough?
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    He's not received any award for it and should at least receive an academy.

Why? What makes it award material?
  • Options
    LucaLuca Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad got up early, went to work, served the public, got in late and did this job for decades without give or taking a few years off. Should I dig him up and give him the award he never got when he was alive? Or should I take the view giving people awards for doing their job only applies to highly paid entertainers sitting on their backsides in a radio studio for a few hours a day?
  • Options
    PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's not received any award for it and should at least receive an academy.

Why should he, the public should be given one for "Loving the Show" :D
    I think Roger "Twiggy" Day should receive an award before SW :)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Wonkypedia there seems to have been about a six year gap without his show so it is not as if he had done the programme for the whole of that time.

I can see he might get the public vote popularity type of award but not any of the serious ones though there can be some bizarre winners so anything is possible.
  • Options
    bigd558bigd558 Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Commercial radio would kill to get the kind of ratings that Steve delivers, year after year.

I agree that Roger Day really deserves some kind of "Lifetime Achievement" award

Great broadcaster, interesting career path, still passionate about musc and radio, and always entertaining
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Luca wrote: »
    My dad got up early, went to work, served the public, got in late and did this job for decades without give or taking a few years off. Should I dig him up and give him the award he never got when he was alive? Or should I take the view giving people awards for doing their job only applies to highly paid entertainers sitting on their backsides in a radio studio for a few hours a day?

Yes I agree though I don’t mind local presenters being awarded, the ones who go that extra mile in their communities and make a difference to peoples’ lives one way or another
  • Options
    Rupert RigsbyRupert Rigsby Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    bigd558 wrote: »
    Commercial radio would kill to get the kind of ratings that Steve delivers, year after year.
    /QUOTE]

Yes, Although they'd kill for the massive overinflated budget Radio 2 has, The nation wide FM coverage Radio 2 has which no commercial station could ever afford even if they had the FM spectrum, which they never will.

You can stick anything on Radio 2 and it'll draw a huge audience let's face facts.
  • Options
    paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give or take a few years Steve wasn't on the afternoon show he's been hosting the show ' Steve Wright In the afternoon' since 1981.
    I think that's the problem right there - he has been hosting pretty much the same show for all those years.
    It hasn't changed or developed much at all really, has it?
    I remember when I was a kid I would hear him on Radio 1 with his "wacky characters" and his "posse" whooping and cheering his every word, now I'm 40-odd and I hear him on Radio 2 with his "wacky characters" and his "posse" whooping and cheering his every word...
  • Options
    PaulEvansDorsetPaulEvansDorset Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luca wrote: »
    My dad got up early, went to work, served the public, got in late and did this job for decades without give or taking a few years off. Should I dig him up and give him the award he never got when he was alive?

Point taken, in total agreement. Award ceremonies are backslapping, incestuous w-fests.

Or should I take the view giving people awards for doing their job only applies to highly paid entertainers sitting on their backsides in a radio studio for a few hours a day?

Oh, come on! You've probably never worked in radio - the fact that the likes of Steve make it sound so easy is a testament to their professionalism.
    I'm certain that Steve puts in a full day's work - the pre-recorded segments are evidence of that.
    Meanwhile, on Tin Pot FM the drivetime presenter will do a full morning's ad scheduling, and probably another task, and will expect to do free appearances and marketing, probably six days a week. Not exactly unsung heroes, but conscientious grafters - just like your dad. I know - I've been there. But I don't deserve an award any more than Steve does.
    BTW, he should be systematically slaughtered for talking over half of 'Smoke on the Water' during the non-stop oldies today.
    Trouble is, the likes of Wright might be talented but they've become too big to take direction. Evans has already learned that lesson...
  • Options
    Young_NeilYoung_Neil Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I think its a good listen - some bits better than others but generally good music and good guests, the commercial sector these days would not come anywhere near the kind of content SW has. The whole point of public service radio is that it should provide a higher quality service than commercial radio could not provide and I think Radio 2 and its current format fits the bill. I was a huge fan of the pirates in the sixties (and cried when listening to Their Final Hour on Big L (I was only 13 at the time but I still have the tape somewhere)) and loved the original Capital 538, but those days are gone. The BBC is the last repository of good radio, save a few local stations (I salute Radio Jackie for staying live with local news).
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    /QUOTE]

Yes, Although they'd kill for the massive overinflated budget Radio 2 has, The nation wide FM coverage Radio 2 has which no commercial station could ever afford even if they had the FM spectrum, which they never will.

You can stick anything on Radio 2 and it'll draw a huge audience let's face facts.

Actually, the big groups on commercial radio have massive budgets, but they chose to spend it on empire building.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't agree with that at all sorry.

The BBC is unique, It's funding is protected from economics,

It didn't need to adapt following the financial crash and has only had to make "cuts" because of the licence fee freeze. Even now there's far to much wastage.

Commercial radio had to adapt to stay in business, Hence networking and co-locating.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    mikw wrote: »

Actually, the big groups on commercial radio have massive budgets, but they chose to spend it on empire building.

That's complete crap and you know it. The bbc have a mentality of "spend the money or we won't get it again" basically use it or lose it. BBC national radio has a huge budget. It's worth it but there's no way commercial companies have that much money to spend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    mikw wrote: »

That's complete crap and you know it. The bbc have a mentality of "spend the money or we won't get it again" basically use it or lose it. BBC national radio has a huge budget. It's worth it but there's no way commercial companies have that much money to spend.

I agree 100% with that.
  • Options
    SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As stated before you can't compare commercial radio with a nationwide FM station.

If you have access to Rajar perhaps you might want to look at the individual breakdowns to see how Radio 2 performs up against individual commercial stations.

Do you know how many listeners Steve Wright has in the North West when comparing it to Capital's TSA? Or Heart in Cornwall, for example?
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Wright in the Afternoon has been the biggest afternoon show in Britain since 1982. Even with all the competition, he's getting similar ratings to what he had on Radio 1 in the eighties when there wasn't much competition.
    It's simple, his show is excellently made, he has fantastic guests and an excellent range of music.
  • Options
    NokiaNokiaNokiaNokia Posts: 1,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The footprint of th Heart network covers most of the UK now, and the cost savings achieved by the networking would allow Heart to produce something much more entertaining during the week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Wright is a radio genius, on a par with Kenny Everett.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Steve Wright is a radio genius, on a par with Kenny Everett.

No way. Kenny Everett was talented, Wright just has lots of listeners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    No way. Kenny Everett was talented, Wright just has lots of listeners.

Kenny Everett was a genius, no arguments about that, but I wonder if Wright heard him in his early days, when he had comedy characters like Crisp the Butler, and modelled his ideas for joke characters on what Kenny was doing ten years previously. However, to be top of your game for 32 years must mean you're good.
  • Options
    stipey2stipey2 Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    You really cannot compare Wright to Everett. Steve Wright is not in any way humorous or spontaneous. He is however knowledgable enough to know what makes a successful radio format. A lot of us may hate it but whilst he is getting great listening figures why stop? Chris Evans is similar. Not funny, not spontaneous, but has developed format that appeals to the masses. Depressing eh?
  • Options
    tezenistezenis Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    So what you're saying is that he is intelligent enough to have recognised a gap in the UK market (i.e. the Zoo format), taken inspiration and in some cases copied a US presenter (Rick Dees), made those ideas his own for the UK market and by doing so created a unique radio show.

Millions of people listened to Radio 1 then and still listen to him now on Radio 2.

And according to some on here that's not good enough.

I know that there are some DS posters who automatically hate anything that's popular, after all how can anything that's popular be any good.

Some say that people only listen to Wright because they used to tune in to Radio 1 in the 80s. Hang on, isn't that what radio presenters should do? You build a loyal band of listeners who travel with you when you move stations and support you wherever you are. It's the very thing radio can provide which no other medium will ever be able to.

That's a bad thing? I'd love to know why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tezenis wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that he is intelligent enough to have recognised a gap in the UK market (i.e. the Zoo format), taken inspiration and in some cases copied a US presenter (Rick Dees), made those ideas his own for the UK market and by doing so created a unique radio show.

Millions of people listened to Radio 1 then and still listen to him now on Radio 2.

And according to some on here that's not good enough.

I know that there are some DS posters who automatically hate anything that's popular, after all how can anything that's popular be any good.

Some say that people only listen to Wright because they used to tune in to Radio 1 in the 80s. Hang on, isn't that what radio presenters should do? You build a loyal band of listeners who travel with you when you move stations and support you wherever you are. It's the very thing radio can provide which no other medium will ever be able to.

That's a bad thing? I'd love to know why.

Anyone who can consistently get 7 million listeners a week for 32 years must be doing something right. Also he doubled the audience figures for Radio 1's afternoon show in a year, which was becoming a graveyard slot. While Paul Burnett probably is little remembered now, his show was bland in the extreme, Steve's shows are still fondly remembered and most of his fans have followed him across to Radio 2.
  • Options
    PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stipey2 wrote: »
    You really cannot compare Wright to Everett. Steve Wright is not in any way humorous or spontaneous. He is however knowledgable enough to know what makes a successful radio format. A lot of us may hate it but whilst he is getting great listening figures why stop? Chris Evans is similar. Not funny, not spontaneous, but has developed format that appeals to the masses. Depressing eh?

Good Post :D
    Kenny Everette was a radio genius, now I did LOVE HIS SHOWS :)