Options

"The Following" on Sky Atlantic

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Fox haven't got a good history of giving original dramas but maybe Kevin Bacon being in it might save it.

PJ

It looks interesting, but my concern is also that it won't get a second series (In the past few years only one Fox drama, Touch, has got a renewal) , but Fox isn't doing that well this year and it has been promoted like hell in the States. So I remain neutral on it's chances...
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the Pilot. Was a good standard so hope it keeps that up. Also I hope they don't cancel it in 5 minutes because the plot is good and could stand up to more than 1 season if they are clever.

Shame its on Fox. I would have more hope for it if it was on almost any other US channel.....
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I thought it was quite dull. I won't be checking out any more episodes.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I thought it was quite dull. I won't be checking out any more episodes.

I'll probably watch one more see how it goes. For the most part it was very clichéd but the last couple of minutes kind of explained that away. Jury is still out for me
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanna see this but virgin media doesn't get sky Atlantic so gonna have to wait for DVD argh im hoping its gonna be good as its written by Kevin Williamson and all the stuff ive seen that hes written has been brilliant i.e. the scream films,vampire diaries,Dawsons creek,the faculty,cursed,i know what you did last summer.And he produced Halloween h20.I still need to see the secret circle which also looks good,.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's been advertised a lot in the UK - I saw an advert in The Sun today and I was at the o2 at the weekend and it was on their advertising boards in the arena
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technically this can be both US and Sky pace thread seeing as we in the UK will be watching less than 24 hrs behind. If those who watch US speed wait a while till evening it'll be better to get a joint discussion compared to two threads?

EDIT: The show also got good ratings last night - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-foxs-gets-a-414172
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure about it, I'll need to see another episode before I give my final decision. It definitely showed promise, but I can't quite work out whether I enjoyed it or not.

On the gore, it wasn't very realistic and it wasn't stylised either, it just looked odd. It felt almost like it had been added by committee for marketing purposes rather than for any narrative or stylistic reason. I will admit to jumping at one point though.

I was slightly confused by one element of the story (probably wasn't paying enough attention), but in the interest of not spoiling this for Sky Atlantic viewers I will ask later...
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it. I guess the worry is that how will this stretch out over 22 episodes, the plot does seem like something that would better fit a movie than a long tv season.

In terms of the gore, which I will spoiler as its not been broadcast on Sky yet
    The bit with the lady stabbing herself in the head and the victim with no eyes was definitely pretty strong for American network tv. The show was broadcast a 8pm in a lot of America, can you imagine OFCOM allowing that at 8pm here!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    I enjoyed it. I guess the worry is that how will this stretch out over 22 episodes, the plot does seem like something that would better fit a movie than a long tv season.

The bit with the lady stabbing herself in the head and the victim with no eyes was definitely pretty strong for American network tv. The show was broadcast a 8pm in a lot of America, can you imagine OFCOM allowing that at 8pm here!

The first season is only 15 episodes, I believe Kevin Bacon didn't want to do too many episodes perhaps if thats also the case next year then there won't be that many episodes in season 2 (if its renewed). This might also be incentive for Fox to renew the series as they won't be spending money on too many episodes.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    Gulfam1 wrote: »
    The first season is only 15 episodes, I believe Kevin Bacon didn't want to do too many episodes perhaps if thats also the case next year then there won't be that many episodes in season 2 (if its renewed). This might also be incentive for Fox to renew the series as they won't be spending money on too many episodes.

The 15 episode thing is promising, as it should keep the quality at a higher threshold. I still have a few doubts over how long the premise can be stretched out for, but am happy to give the show a chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »

The first season consists of only 15 episodes, I imagine the finale will be a "game changer", turning in to an epic scale.

EDIT: Somebody beat me to it. I can't imagine future seasons will be 15 episodes though as it would take them just under 6 seasons to reach syndication, as opposed to the four it normally takes, which would mean Warner risks losing way more money in the long run. (TV shows are normally sold at a mild loss with the hope of recouping it primarily in syndication, but also in international sales and home video release)

I don't think it's 8PM material, but having read what was going to happen I looked half away, because press coverage made it sound worse that it actually was. It's nowhere near as graphic something you'd see on The Walking Dead or a Quentin Tarantino film, but it's definitely less flippant than any of the violence you'd see in either of those. It reminded me of a similar scene in The Walking Dead's season 2 première where Lori
    stabs a zombie through the eye with a screwdriver, holding it there for 30 secs whilst it sprays blood all over her
    , but obviously not as graphic and lacking the moderately comical hyperbole present in The Walking Dead
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty scary in places and quite gruesome. Gripping though.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gruesome to say the least and I think James Purefoy is perfect as Serial Killer Joe Carroll.

Good to see Kevin Bacon on a TV show, I think its going to be a good show, quite fast paced too.

It was scary that the two guys- were they really Gay or was that a cover? got to the woman who escaped Carroll in 2003 only to deliever her to Carroll so he could brutally murder finally.

Gripping Stuff 8/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it, fast paced, gripping drama, pretty scary and jumpy at some parts. Certainly one of the better shows of the season, and a good ending to keep viewers wanting to return for the next Ep. I'll be watching next week.

In regards to the 15 episode season, I see it as a plus, by keeping the episode count down it will hopefully allow for better quality with storytelling. Also NBC are doing a similar thing with the upcoming Hannibal, which has a 13 Ep order and any future seasons will only have 13 Ep seasons. It's more of a cable format which I think could work better for the following.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Disappointed. I thought the whole thing was very clichéd and predictable. Will give it another couple of episodes to impress but not getting my hopes up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched it and it lived up to the hype, great pilot episode by Kevin Williamson. Both Bacon and Purefoy were on top form (also look out for Natalie Zea - hopefully we'll see more of her character in upcoming episodes; an under-rated actress imo).
    There were a few scenes that seemed redundant as they were explaining backstory and what's going on but that's to be expected in most pilots. Also noticed a bit of product placement for Apple at the start and when Hardy was checking for the lighthouse address on his iPhone (but like I noted on the PP thread it doesn't bother me much).

The whole theme of Poe and his works was brilliant and the show had me hooked at certain scenes. I agree that the violence in the episode although graphic wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

The cliffhanger was good and hopefully episode 2 will be just as good
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was a pretty decent effort. I don't think it's going to be Fox's answer to Homeland but Bacon and Purefoy are both very good and the episode rattled along at a fair old pace.

Yes, it's riddled with cliches, but I thought these were playfully deliberate. The series won't live and die on its shock-and-gore, but whether it can successfully balance an Acolyte of the Week formula with the main Carroll/Hardy axis and some of the longer season arcs.

I've posted some initial thoughts on my blog (contains spoilers) if anyone's interested ...

http://slouchingtowardstv.com/2013/01/23/the-following-episode-1-review/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, despite the cliches and fairly ham fisted Poe references (specifically Hardy's beating heart), it'll be interesting to see how it pans out and if they can sustain the storyline over the season, I have faith in Kevin Williamson though, he knows how to write a good horror/thriller (Scream is one of my favourite horror movies). Kevin Bacon was good too, although I always expected him to be.

As for the violence, while it was relatively surprising for a network show (felt more like an FX show than a Fox show) I didn't think it warranted the fuss I've read about, I've seen far, far, far more graphic violence than what was seen here, even the knife in the eye scene would probably only be a 15 rating over here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Just watched ep 1 and thought it very good, although I can see it getting waaaay ludicrous in the future. I thought the level of violence and gore was pitched just right. Kevin Williamson knows what he's doing, I guess. :)
  • Options
    KingOliKingOli Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the first episode overall, though I found the gore in it a bit jarring. Its not that I particularly dislike it, was just strange to have a flash frame of someone with no eyes etc only for the camera to instantly cut away as if there not sure they can get away with continuing to show it.

IF there going to succeed with this I think they need to be careful with the inevitable semi procedural format, it could get a little silly if Kevin Bacon is going to spend each week chasing a separate serial killer who has been brainwashed/inspired.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was looking forward to it but i found it to be very predictable.

however i will give it another try.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was a bit confused about something (as I said earlier), if you haven't seen it yet this is a spoiler, so watch out:

How did Ryan (I think that was the name of Kevin Bacon's character) end up in the house where he found Sarah dead?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gulfam1 wrote: »
    Just watched it and it lived up to the hype, great pilot episode by Kevin Williamson. Both Bacon and Purefoy were on top form (also look out for Natalie Zea - hopefully we'll see more of her character in upcoming episodes; an under-rated actress imo).
    There were a few scenes that seemed redundant as they were explaining backstory and what's going on but that's to be expected in most pilots. Also noticed a bit of product placement for Apple at the start and when Hardy was checking for the lighthouse address on his iPhone (but like I noted on the PP thread it doesn't bother me much).

The whole theme of Poe and his works was brilliant and the show had me hooked at certain scenes. I agree that the violence in the episode although graphic wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

The cliffhanger was good and hopefully episode 2 will be just as good
    That wasn't product placement. Whilst Apple do pay lots of shows for product placement (30 Rock, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Up All Night, Modern Family), no product placement was listed on the credits (and a respectable company like Warner Brothers would probably insist upon it)...