Court rules UK ISP's must block The Pirate Bay

Comments

• johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    The fightback begins - a first step for those of us who believe in fair play for the creative industries and the rule of law. There are plenty of paid for legal alternatives out there now so absolutely no justification for the continuation of the "owt for nowt brigage".

This will get ramped up from now on - the next step will be the letter dropping through the door.

For music and e-books that is true. What legal way is there to watch US TV shows at US pace in the UK?

And don't give me the "be patient and wait" and "sense of entitlement" bollocks.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Daedroth wrote: »
    My old college lecturer once told me that the Internet in the UK is already controlled to a very small extent. Certain extremist websites are blocked for UK users for example.

I never knew that :eek:
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Hell, windows doesn't open PDFs out of the box I think, yet its practically an industry standard format.

Mac OS X does. I didn't have to install any extra software to view PDFs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    This will get ramped up from now on - the next step will be the letter dropping through the door.

Not for a while it wont...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17853518

...and you can bet that it will be postponed yet again, until they untangle the mess that was the Digital Economy Act 2010.
  • Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    But they haven't killed or stopped the Pirate Bay, it's still there and fully functional.

You just can't go to it directly.
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    I never knew that :eek:

Mac OS X does. I didn't have to install any extra software to view PDFs.

Ubuntu does too with Evince Document Viewer. I don't like that though so I install xpdf :D
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked their homepage - still there...
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What legal way is there to watch US TV shows at US pace in the UK?

Pay for Sky. The big shows e.g. Game of Thrones, Glee are within a week I think. Other than obscure stuff that didn't get picked up by a big UK channel, most stuff is shown within a month or two. The days of 9-12 month delays are largely gone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apparently the UK Pirate Party are mirroring the site, so the futility of it all is already beginning to show...
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eugh :mad:

The site will just keep being mirrored and mirrored. They will never be able to block it (there are at least 5 mirror links already)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-enjoys-12-million-traffic-boost-shares-unblocking-tips-120502/
    Yesterday, The Pirate Bay had 12 million more visitors than it has ever had, providing a golden opportunity to educate users on how to circumvent blocks. “We should write a thank you letter to the BPI,” a site insider told TorrentFreak.

Possibly the least surprising news ever :)
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not independently verified of course ;)

in their blog, they claim, "oh no, its not because we're linking to load of copyright material. What they really hate is that occasionally we promote the odd unsigned artist. Thats why we're being attacked" Yeah, because if they took down the copyrighted material, they'd still be gone after. :rolleyes:

Does *anyone* here believe their bullshit?
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    Just out of interest can you try the SSL link mentioned in this article posted earlier in the thread to see if you can access it that way.

Does't work, its not blocked but just fails to connect.
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the unlikely event someone cares, here is what it looks like

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii605/empiricalalpha/msg.jpg
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    In the unlikely event someone cares, here is what it looks like

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii605/empiricalalpha/msg.jpg

I hope BT dig their heels in :)
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Will Internet radio stations stay live?

Yes, as will Spotify.

It's also perfectly legal to record from either source as long as it isn't then distributed as it is covered by the same laws which cover recording from TV/Radio.

Replay Music cost me about £6, but you can do it with most free audio recording software, Replay Music just makes it easier by sensing gaps in songs and breaking them up for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    Yes- but is it possible to get all available content by signing up to ONE of them yet?

Please, Big Media, if you are listening, get proper wholesaling of rights organised so I can eventually sign up to ONE streaming provider and get what I want from one source...

Just like I buy all my DVDs from Amazon..

Agreed. I've been saying the same thing for a long time.

If I decided to start my own DVD or CD retailer I only need to deal direct with a wholesaler, and then have access to pretty much all available products. Of course the big boys, like HMV, can still negotiate certain exclusives that include extra content, or exclusive artwork etc. but the basic product is still available from other stores.

But if I want to start an online streaming service, or sell digital downloads, I have to deal direct with each and every company individually, and they charge different prices for different retailers and sign exclusive deals with individual online stores meaning their products aren't available from other places. It's stupid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if I want to start an online streaming service, or sell digital downloads, I have to deal direct with each and every company individually, and they charge different prices for different retailers and sign exclusive deals with individual online stores meaning their products aren't available from other places. It's stupid.

TV/Movie streaming services are having a hard time getting decent content because of the exclusivity deals the various studios have with companies such as Sky, who make sure no one else is able to get the UK rights to certain shows and movies for years until they have been repeated to death.

TPB are simply doing what the entertainment industry should be doing: providing shows and movies on demand, in various formats so that people can watch them on the device of their choice at the time of their choosing.

Even if they charged just £1.50 per download, they would still make a fortune, not to mention the advertising revenue they could get if they stuck commercials in the downloads.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Jittlov wrote: »
    Even if they charged just £1.50 per download, they would still make a fortune.

Would they? Do you know or are you just guessing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Would they? Do you know or are you just guessing?

It's £1.50 more than they would have otherwise got. ;)
  • Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Still working on Sky broadband.

Even currently displaying the message:

"The Worst Part Of Censorship Is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gone for me on Virgin even though OpenDNS. Still, found a fully working mirror within seconds so all's well.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    I thought hidemyass was a UK based proxy (I'm sure I read they had to hand over a bunch of data about users a few months ago). If that's the case, then I guess their ISP would have to block TBP too.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    I thought hidemyass was a UK based proxy (I'm sure I read they had to hand over a bunch of data about users a few months ago). If that's the case, then I guess their ISP would have to block TBP too.

The add-ons allow different proxy providers, not just HMA, plus you can use random servers that don't seem to be all UK based :)