Options

What will Sharon Osbourne bring to the X-Factor mentor wise

13»

Comments

• Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Modern music is obviously music which appeals to today's music buyers. The phrase is pretty self-explanitory. Dubstep, electro-dance-pop, and what not were not a part of the music scene ten, twenty, thirty years ago. These are the big, popular genres today. These are what sell. The X Factor wants something which will sell.

See, you can list those facts, but most people who watch The X Factor probably couldn't. I didn't detract from their achievements, but simply highlighted that Sharon's big ticket client is not relevant to The X Factor or the majority of its viewers.

Your second paragraph is more logical as you highlighted the fact that Sabbath isn't part of X-Factor's target market.

But I totally disagree with your interpretation of modern music. You said it was "the popular genres of today", "what sells", "appeals to today's buyers" - can you explain in any way how this doesn't apply to rock or metal, both of which continue to sell heavily in the albums market?

Case in point, the No. 1 album in the midweeks is currently not Daft Punk, or Beady Eye - it's Black Sabbath.
  • Options
    LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Modern music is obviously music which appeals to today's music buyers. The phrase is pretty self-explanitory. Dubstep, electro-dance-pop, and what not were not a part of the music scene ten, twenty, thirty years ago. These are the big, popular genres today. These are what sell. The X Factor wants something which will sell.

See, you can list those facts, but most people who watch The X Factor probably couldn't. I didn't detract from their achievements, but simply highlighted that Sharon's big ticket client is not relevant to The X Factor or the majority of its viewers.

I both agree and disagree with your posts.

For credentials, she has more than enough to be there. But she isn't there for her credentials, nor was she there for that reason the first time around. Mel B was supposed to be the original female judge, Mel B was also Sharon's main competition for the spot this year. They are both similar personalities so it's clear they're typecasting.

Sharon is there purely because she is a personality. If 'The Osbourne's' television series had never happened, she would not be there, noone would know who she was. Whilst you're correct in saying Black Sabbath and the other acts she has managed are irrelevant to X Factor, Ozzy & Sharon are still very popular personalities because of the series. And thats why shes there. I bet the majority of people who cite her management of Black Sabbath as her reason for being there can't name one of their songs.

First and foremost X Factor is an entertainment programme. It needs entertaining personalities. Credentials only get you so far. The judges who lack credentials are the ones that have gone on to be the better and most successful judges- Cheryl Cole, Dannii Minogue, Nicole Scherzinger in comparison to the likes of Kelly Rowland, Gary Barlow and arguably Tulisa. I think Sharon will be a great addition, I'm not really bothered about their successes, I just want the judges to entertain me.
  • Options
    ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Your second paragraph is more logical as you highlighted the fact that Sabbath isn't part of X-Factor's target market.

But I totally disagree with your interpretation of modern music. You said it was "the popular genres of today", "what sells", "appeals to today's buyers" - can you explain in any way how this doesn't apply to rock or metal, both of which continue to sell heavily in the albums market?

Case in point, the No. 1 album in the midweeks is currently not Daft Punk, or Beady Eye - it's Black Sabbath.

I think it's absolutely fair to put dance, pop, dubstep-lite as the big sellers in the singles market. It is the modern single seller. People cherry-pick album tracks to download, they just want something pleasant and fun to listen to. The album market cannot be generalised as much as the singles market, it's unpredictable and, true, it is more suited to more credible artists than just pop or dance artists. Rock and Metal don't get general radio play as much as pop or dance, therefore they don't appear as often or as high on the singles chart. They don't reach the casual music buyer, but that doesn't matter because their fanbase will have known and therefore will buy.

Black Sabbath have a core fanbase who are obviously going to rush and buy/download the album seeing as its the first in 35 years. It's inevitable. Black Sabbath are unlikely to have a single chart highly this week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LW09 wrote: »
    I both agree and disagree with your posts.

For credentials, she has more than enough to be there. But she isn't there for her credentials, nor was she there for that reason the first time around. Mel B was supposed to be the original female judge, Mel B was also Sharon's main competition for the spot this year. They are both similar personalities so it's clear they're typecasting.

Sharon is there purely because she is a personality. If 'The Osbourne's' television series had never happened, she would not be there, noone would know who she was. Whilst you're correct in saying Black Sabbath and the other acts she has managed are irrelevant to X Factor, Ozzy & Sharon are still very popular personalities because of the series. And thats why shes there. I bet the majority of people who cite her management of Black Sabbath as her reason for being there can't name one of their songs.

First and foremost X Factor is an entertainment programme. It needs entertaining personalities. Credentials only get you so far. The judges who lack credentials are the ones that have gone on to be the better and most successful judges- Cheryl Cole, Dannii Minogue, Nicole Scherzinger in comparison to the likes of Kelly Rowland, Gary Barlow and arguably Tulisa. I think Sharon will be a great addition, I'm not really bothered about their successes, I just want the judges to entertain me.

Thank you, I agree with most of your points made in response. Sharon is clearly there to cause drama, controversy and say silly things. The problem with that is that they have essentially put this series in the position that it is only for entertainment purposes. I do not have high hopes of Sharon mentoring the next big musical act. I think if a more current and focused judge were appointed then there would be a better buzz and atmosphere instead of the Sharon Osbourne show returning to the panel.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's absolutely fair to put dance, pop, dubstep-lite as the big sellers in the singles market. It is the modern single seller. People cherry-pick album tracks to download, they just want something pleasant and fun to listen to. The album market cannot be generalised as much as the singles market, it's unpredictable and, true, it is more suited to more credible artists than just pop or dance artists. Rock and Metal don't get general radio play as much as pop or dance, therefore they don't appear as often or as high on the singles chart. They don't reach the casual music buyer, but that doesn't matter because their fanbase will have known and therefore will buy.

Black Sabbath have a core fanbase who are obviously going to rush and buy/download the album seeing as its the first in 35 years. It's inevitable. Black Sabbath are unlikely to have a single chart highly this week.

Hard-rock/metal bands realised years ago that the singles chart was a dead entity. Most now give away their singles for free or simply as teasers for the album - again, case in point, Sabbath's single was given away for free with pre-orders of the album.

Any label who focuses on the "casual buyer" is dooming their artists to failure. The buying public are generally fickle (hence why X-Factor albums and singles dominate charity shops) and will discard trends quickly; the label will do the same.

I, for one, am glad that the casual fan doesn't buy Black Sabbath. 40 years on they are still a top draw in rock/metal music, and 40 years from now kids will still be cutting their teeth on Tony Iommi's riffs, long after JLS and One Direction are appearing on Strictly and working in McDonalds again.

Just to clarify something too, these aren't the ramblings of a bitter old man - I'm 23. I just see the casual music industry for what it is; a cash-cow with no sustainable value or merit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Hard-rock/metal bands realised years ago that the singles chart was a dead entity. Most now give away their singles for free or simply as teasers for the album - again, case in point, Sabbath's single was given away for free with pre-orders of the album.

Any label who focuses on the "casual buyer" is dooming their artists to failure. The buying public are generally fickle (hence why X-Factor albums and singles dominate charity shops) and will discard trends quickly; the label will do the same.

I, for one, am glad that the casual fan doesn't buy Black Sabbath. 40 years on they are still a top draw in rock/metal music, and 40 years from now kids will still be cutting their teeth on Tony Iommi's riffs, long after JLS and One Direction are appearing on Strictly and working in McDonalds again.

Just to clarify something too, these aren't the ramblings of a bitter old man - I'm 23. I just see the casual music industry for what it is; a cash-cow with no sustainable value or merit.

Right, well the X Factor is pretty much a cash-cow, money maker for Simon Cowell. I'm sensing you arn't of the dance/pop persuasion to be honest. You seem like someone who sees Rock/Metal as the best music there is. You also seem like the type of person disinterested in The X Factor. Correct me if I'm wrong by all means. As someone who enjoys and follows chart music and the X Factor I can see the link. I cannot see Sharon Osbourne or her experience fitting into the show or the modern music industry well.

(One of JLS has already been on Strictly, and I'm nearly certain one of 1D worked in McDonalds, by the way! :p )
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope she doesn't get the Boys or we could have lots of cringy comments involving the words Mother, Mummy or Mama :o
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    I hope she doesn't get the Boys or we could have lots of cringy comments involving the words Mother, Mummy or Mama :o

Even the cat threw up last time she was on there, watching her leering and making sleazy comments to boys young enough to be her great grandsons. Absolutely vile....
  • Options
    THEXFACTORKINGTHEXFACTORKING Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give Sharon the groups I say