BBC3 planning to air a show celebrating 50 years of Doctor Who.

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who sort of likes the idea?

While it would be quite nice to see a programme like this, I think it is more what this represents. As in the BBC lettng a lot of people down, and then dreaming this up as an afterthought to patronisingly tell us we're getting tons and tons of Dr Who related output 'throughout the year'.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member

No you aren't! I love watching people talking about Doctor Who as they remembered it. It's part of the 50th for gawds sake! I shall enjoy this show along with the rest that we are going to get!
    If people moan about non-celebrities talking about Doctor Who........what about US non celebrities talking about it??? Have you no interest in what other people think? If not - what are you doing here??
    Simple thought :p:p

PS: When I said 'YOU' I meant the general public!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most people would come here exactly to find out what others think and share opinion. The distinction is whether or not the talking heads are genuine fans of the show or not. And no one on Digital Spy has been promising to deliver up some sort of spectacular thread, the likes of which have never been seen before ( apart from maybe the "my opinion is so important" thread:D), then in reality delivering up a thread about garden gnomes dressed as each doctor or something.
  • Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    No you aren't! I love watching people talking about Doctor Who as they remembered it.

How about people who didn't watch it but will say they did for a couple of quid and some time on the telly; albeit BBC3?
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will watch it. Probably. Almost certainly. And if its well made with good guests and carefully selected clips and high production vales I will gladly say I was wrong. Because I want quality! I want to be wrong.

But based on past history its hard to get excited about this. These talking heads programs were always a bit cheap and nasty way of filling the schedules ever since the 'I Love...' series started years ago but at least then they had some decent guests who were actually recounting genuine memories of their youth or past.

Over the years the format has descended to such a poor level that the producers don't even try to make out the stories being told are anything like genuine...i remember a sport based 'greatest Moments'on BBC3 where the z-list celebrity was no way old enough or have been watching anyway yet they recounted it as if they were reminiscences of their own life. Its pathetic and silly TV when theyve just read it off a piece of paper. It is utterly pointless.

So no. In this supposed special year I don't want DW given this cheap and stupid treatment. And no we shouldn't be happy for any old scraps thrown our way. Still no trailer. Still no real buzz around. And this and some stamps wont change that.

If they actually make effort with it then great. If they interview Peter Jackson and Edgar Wright etc and get them to select their best moments and discuss how DW influenced them and inspired them then brilliant! But we all know itll be one half of Rizzle Kicks or a stand up whose so bad they cant even get on Mock the Week shot in a cheap location and pretending they even watch Doctor Who and how much they cried when Rose left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No you aren't! I love watching people talking about Doctor Who as they remembered it. It's part of the 50th for gawds sake! I shall enjoy this show along with the rest that we are going to get!
    If people moan about non-celebrities talking about Doctor Who........what about US non celebrities talking about it??? Have you no interest in what other people think? If not - what are you doing here??
    Simple thought :p:p

PS: When I said 'YOU' I meant the general public!!

Because people on here are real fans and have real insight. The way these BBC3 list shows are made, and this is fact not conjecture, is the producers have a list of z list talking heads whose agents have battled very hard to get them on the contact list. They are not chosen in the most part for their knowledge of the subject. Maybe it will be different with DW and they will make an effort. But as I said before my enjoyment of DW will not be enhanced by listening to some fame hungry prat reading false memories off a script. Its trashy and cheap TV at its worst and isn't what we were promised.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its going to be anything like the CH4 lists were they showed more clips of barely famous people gobbing off rather than the programs they are talking about, then its going to be thrilling.
  • KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because people on here are real fans and have real insight. The way these BBC3 list shows are made, and this is fact not conjecture, is the producers have a list of z list talking heads whose agents have battled very hard to get them on the contact list. They are not chosen in the most part for their knowledge of the subject. Maybe it will be different with DW and they will make an effort. But as I said before my enjoyment of DW will not be enhanced by listening to some fame hungry prat reading false memories off a script. Its trashy and cheap TV at its worst and isn't what we were promised.

This. And the worst bit is when they get someone like Chelsy Healey on just to mock her lack of knowledge. It'll be something like "Those things with the eye stalks things are kind of creepy aren't they? What are they called again da..der..Daleks that's right." Followed by some sarcastic comment by the VoiceOver along the lines of "Thanks for that insight, Chelsy." And we're meant to think it's hilarious or something.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The idea is ok its the last minute, rushed belt and braces approach that I hate! This could have been planned well in advance and could have had some major names and past DW faces. Instead, we get a last minute 'Look what we are going to do for you!' 'we've even managed to get Tom Craine to talk about Doctor Who too'!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KezM wrote: »
    This. And the worst bit is when they get someone like Chelsy Healey on just to mock her lack of knowledge. It'll be something like "Those things with the eye stalks things are kind of creepy aren't they? What are they called again da..der..Daleks that's right." Followed by some sarcastic comment by the VoiceOver along the lines of "Thanks for that insight, Chelsy." And we're meant to think it's hilarious or something.

I can hear it already. *shudder*
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    I will watch it. Probably. Almost certainly. And if its well made with good guests and carefully selected clips and high production vales I will gladly say I was wrong. Because I want quality! I want to be wrong.

But based on past history its hard to get excited about this. These talking heads programs were always a bit cheap and nasty way of filling the schedules ever since the 'I Love...' series started years ago but at least then they had some decent guests who were actually recounting genuine memories of their youth or past.

Over the years the format has descended to such a poor level that the producers don't even try to make out the stories being told are anything like genuine...i remember a sport based 'greatest Moments'on BBC3 where the z-list celebrity was no way old enough or have been watching anyway yet they recounted it as if they were reminiscences of their own life. Its pathetic and silly TV when theyve just read it off a piece of paper. It is utterly pointless.

So no. In this supposed special year I don't want DW given this cheap and stupid treatment. And no we shouldn't be happy for any old scraps thrown our way. Still no trailer. Still no real buzz around. And this and some stamps wont change that.

If they actually make effort with it then great. If they interview Peter Jackson and Edgar Wright etc and get them to select their best moments and discuss how DW influenced them and inspired them then brilliant! But we all know itll be one half of Rizzle Kicks or a stand up whose so bad they cant even get on Mock the Week shot in a cheap location and pretending they even watch Doctor Who and how much they cried when Rose left.

Talking heads programmes can be brilliant. I really liked the one the Beeb did last year about Television Centre before they moved out. Lots of relevant guests with interesting stories to tell about the production of various TV shows over the years, including no less than three Doctor Who assistants and it was nicely put together, but I think that was shown on BBC2 or BBC4. I don't have such high hopes for this one unfortunately.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, I'll probably watch it.:o

Yes, I know it's double standards. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'll probably watch it.:o

Yes, I know it's double standards. :D

I wouldn't call it double standards at all.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    To be honest - I'd like to see a programme called "Grumpy Old Doctors" featuring all the remaining actors! They could talk about their many pet-hates, being on 'Doctor Who' or whatever. Could be quite entertaining (and cheap).:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest - I'd like to see a programme called "Grumpy Old Doctors" featuring all the remaining actors! They could talk about their many pet-hates, being on 'Doctor Who' or whatever. Could be quite entertaining (and cheap).:cool:

Or "Grumpy Old Fans"? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or "Grumpy Old Fans"? :D

What a waste of money, you get that one for free on the internet, and "grumpy young fans" as a bonus on top of that :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a waste of money, you get that one for free on the internet, and "grumpy young fans" as a bonus on top of that :p

(Just on this thread even ) :)