Ridley Scott's The Martian

Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
Forum Member
Just hope the film lives up to the book, at least with Scott directing it'll look great.
http://www.people.com/article/matt-damon-martian-ridley-scott-first-look

Comments

• necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not read the book but I hear it's a survival tale. Those types of films are an easy sell and often do well. But then again it's Ridley Scott who I admire but he always finds a way to mess things up storywise as of late.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Not read the book but I hear it's a survival tale. Those types of films are an easy sell and often do well. But then again it's Ridley Scott who I admire but he always finds a way to mess things up storywise as of late.

Yes, it's about an astronaut who is left for dead when a sandstorm disrupts a Mars mission and his struggle to survive until he is rescued using his scientific and engineering skills. It's very technically accurate and also very funny, I just hope Scott can pull it off.
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds a bit like the mid-60s film Robinson Crusoe on Mars. I rather enjoyed that.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's about an astronaut who is left for dead when a sandstorm disrupts a Mars mission and his struggle to survive until he is rescued using his scientific and engineering skills. It's very technically accurate and also very funny, I just hope Scott can pull it off.

It sounds like a remake of Mission To Mars. :o
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    It sounds like a remake of Mission To Mars. :o

It's more like Apollo 13.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's almost as if they plucked Dr Mann from Interstellar and dropped him on Mars. I wonder if they cast Matt before or after that film.. or if his casting in it triggered them to decide to make this movie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's more like Apollo 13.

If he was stuck in the module and just orbited the planet maybe.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so looking forward to this. Adapted from the book of the same name, directed by Ridley Scott, written by Drew Goddard and arrives this Autumn.

This isn't a teaser or a trailer, it's simply a NASA promo introducing you to the Ares 3 crew. A great introduction for the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CumZP6_9sHU

Stars Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain, Kate Mara, Michael Peña, Sebastian Stan and Aksel Hennie plus Chiwetel Ejiofor, Kristen Wiig and Donald Glover.

For the amount of stick Ridley Scott gets - and some of it is deserved - i really hope he knocks this one out of the park. I honestly can't wait!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough, literally just watched the trailer - didn't know anything about it other than the title, which I assumed was literally about a martian :)

Looks good though - I did like the line in the trailer "I'm going to have to science the shit out of this" :D
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless this is holding back something special, it has a very 'seen it all before' look about it.

The last few movies set on Mars have not been successful at all (Mission to Mars, Red Planet, Last Days on Mars), and this also seems very reminiscent of Robinson Crusoe On Mars.

Add to this Damon's role seems very reminiscent of his part in Interstellar, and Scott has not really been on form for a while.

Not feeling this one at the moment.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a viral video. Not the actual trailer. You haven't seen anything at all.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Full trailer is now up -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4PCI0NamI

My first comment was based on the teaser trailer and viral video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGVlxiWvLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzIe1aMAzzU

At first I thought it was looking a little better, until the awful dialogue kicked in and then they basically give away the whole movie.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks better than I thought it'd be. Its still got a high bar to live up to though.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Meh-tian.

Seen it all before and if I hadn't a 3minute 17second trailer WTF? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mediocre trailer and I never thought I would ever say that about a Ridley Scott trailer. After Exodus, even I'm lukewarm about this movie (and I was one of those guys who was getting hyped about that movie). I hope those lines that Matt Damon says in the trailer (science the sh*t out of this/In your face Neil Armstrong) come off better in the film because they sound corny as hell.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Mediocre trailer and I never thought I would ever say that about a Ridley Scott trailer. After Exodus, even I'm lukewarm about this movie (and I was one of those guys who was getting hyped about that movie). I hope those lines that Matt Damon says in the trailer (science the sh*t out of this/In your face Neil Armstrong) come off better in the film because they sound corny as hell.

The "in your face, Neil Armstrong" seems a bit silly to put in the trailer without any context as to why he said it. Many of the lines in the book are corny anyway, but they work because Mark Watney comes across as a corny nerd. My initial impressions are that they may have made the wrong choice with Matt Damon.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,690
    Forum Member
    It was an intensely gripping book and the trailer looks like it's following the book very closely so I reckon it looks just fine.

Regards

Mark
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Scott whilst a great visual director - can be a bit hit-and-miss with his films. I'm intrigued by it. I suppose it trying to go for the "intelligent sci-fi" type film(aka last year's "Interstellar"). Was it shot in IMAX? Or - are we in for 3D(sic)?
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's premièring at the Toronto International Film Festival in September which is where Gravity debuted before it was released. The fact Fox is opening it in there as well as moving it forward from its Thanksgiving slot to October is a huge vote of confidence that the film is very good and likely to be a hit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds promising.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    The "in your face, Neil Armstrong" seems a bit silly to put in the trailer without any context as to why he said it. Many of the lines in the book are corny anyway, but they work because Mark Watney comes across as a corny nerd. My initial impressions are that they may have made the wrong choice with Matt Damon.
    Yeah I guess context is important. Though generally I do see characters in Damon's situation to suffer than to appear cocky :D
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Mark A wrote: »
    It was an intensely gripping book and the trailer looks like it's following the book very closely so I reckon it looks just fine.

Regards

Mark

Andy Weir's book was an excellent read and I hope that the film's a reasonable adaptation. I'm certainly going to see the film when it's out.

Incidentally, Jordan's Wadi Rum region has been used as the setting for Mars in a number of films and The Martian is no exception. You can see why because it really does look like a piece of the Red Planet: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wadi+rum+mars&biw=1024&bih=659&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCoQsARqFQoTCPylkMy8gcgCFc4p2wod-zUBQw
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I read the book I just knew this would be turned into a movie. Best 77p I've ever spent. Hope the film has the humour of the book because that is important.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailer makes me really want to see the movie........who says advertising doesn't work?
  • Aslan52Aslan52 Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP sums up my feelings perfectly.

Scott is a great director but Prometheus showed us that he's also a director who can fall victim to "the emperor's new clothes".

The success of the book was largely due to the depth and accuracy of the science involved (Andy Weir has said he wanted to rewrite a segment of the book when he discovered that some of Watney's chemistry would have generated a large exothermic reaction and he'd recently devised a method where Watney could have solved this problem by filling the HAB with rocks and then replacing them when they got hot) and if the film is to satisfy fans of the book he will have to make sure that he finds a way to reflect that depth without boring regular film-goers to sleep.

Definitely my "must-see" film of the year though.