A HD techie question.....

My local store has a shed load of HD screens on display.....

I've asked several diffrent salesmen if any of them display the 1080i standard and they all say 'all of them do'.

Then I ask the screen resolution and they're all something by 768 pixels.....

My question is....how can a display with only 768 horizontal lines display a 1080 standard?

Am I missing something or are all the salesmen blagging???

Any helpers?

Cheers,

FG.

Comments

• technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As handling an interlaced signal for a progressive display (like flat panels) requires circuitary - it is not that difficult to get the circuit to do a rescale so that a 1080 interlaced signal can be rendered into 720, 768 or 576 lines.

So you can input a 1080i signal and see it ... all be it in fewer lines ( and progressive scan)

so they are not wrong - but not telling the whole truth!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    so it's not true 1080....it's downscaled.....thought as much.

Any one got an idea when 1080 res screens are gonna come mainstream. I know Philips are doing a couple already but I've not seen many others.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may seem some serious movement on 1920*1080 panels by the end of the year but most of the huge price cuts in 720 panels have been down to older screens flooding the rebadging market.
    Since there are few 1080 panels now the same price cutting model will not take place this year but we will see new products from more manufacturers so at least more choice and limited competition.

LCD will probably still be the major player but Plasma and DLP will make their mark and maybe even SED will be an option for larger panel sizes in 2007.

At this stage I would not hesitate to buy a 720 panel, the product is maturing and there will be enough native 720 content to make the most of it and downscaling 1080i or even 1080p (pre-recorded/gaming) will look better on the lower res than upscaling 720 to the higer res panel.
  • bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See that JVC are dropping Plasma and concentrating on LCD and larger screens - just like Sony ....

H
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bayards wrote:
    See that JVC are dropping Plasma and concentrating on LCD and larger screens - just like Sony ....

H

Yep although it wasn't that long ago SONY was saying LCD was a dead end:)

No surprise that Plasma is being phased out (by some) as it's not ideal for the smaller screen sizes and with LCD seemingly improving by leaps and bounds and SED around the corner the profitability on Plasma production must have been under serious threat.

Nothing wrong with Plasma but hard to argue against simple economics when dealing with a mass market corporate manufacturer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't heard that JVC are dropping plasma.

But if its true, then its nothing more than a marketing adjustment by Matsushita.

As you may know, JVC and Pansonic are sister companies in the Matsushita group. Panasonic concentrate mainly on plasma and are the market leader.

It just looks like Matsushita want JVC to push LCD and Panasonic to push plasma, so that they have both markets covered.

Chip