Is my cat dieing?

Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
Forum Member
For the past few months it's been awful whingey, meowing and getting ratty if anyone gets too close and this last week or so it's been walking round with bits of dribble hanging from it's chin. Then today, I was in the kitchen making a glass of water and I saw it in the garden, standing in the grass vomiting twice whilst digging at the grass frantically. She's indoors now, on the rug just licking herself intently, and looks fine. But could there be something wrong? Could I be about to loose another pet?

Comments

• jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe take puss to the vets.
  • Xadlei XemnasXadlei Xemnas Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    Our cat did this when he was younger. It stopped after awhile though. I don't think the cats dieing, just ill.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vet is probably a better person to ask than members of an internet showbiz forum.
  • SuperSpursSuperSpurs Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um... take it to the vet?!

:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the past few months it's been awful whingey, meowing and getting ratty if anyone gets too close and this last week or so it's been walking round with bits of dribble hanging from it's chin. Then today, I was in the kitchen making a glass of water and I saw it in the garden, standing in the grass vomiting twice whilst digging at the grass frantically. She's indoors now, on the rug just licking herself intently, and looks fine. But could there be something wrong? Could I be about to loose another pet?

Probably not.

Cats do get "grumpy" when they get older but it doesn't necessarily mean they are about to pop off!

The dribbling could be just as simple as a build up of tartar on the teeth...

Also, cats tend to eat grass and then vomit afterwards as it helps their digestive systems so what you saw is entirely typical.

If you are at all concerned take the cat to the vet for a check up. If nothing else it'll put your mind at rest.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    The vet is probably a better person to ask than members of an internet showbiz forum.
    SuperSpurs wrote: »
    Um... take it to the vet?!

:(

I will if the problem persists, I just thought I'd ask here first to save me the money if it's nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Is your puss prone to furballs? Mine used to vomit when it had them. But, to put your mind at ease, I agree you should make an appointment with the vet.
    Forum Member
    Probably not.

Cats do get "grumpy" when they get older but it doesn't necessarily mean they are about to pop off!

The dribbling could be just as simple as a build up of tartar on the teeth...

Also, cats tend to eat grass and then vomit afterwards as it helps their digestive systems so what you saw is entirely typical.

If you are at all concerned take the cat to the vet for a check up. If nothing else it'll put your mind at rest.

I hope it's okay. It's an old cat though (almost as old as me) so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it's dieing. I will see a vet on Monday though if I can.
    Forum Member
    SnowDances wrote: »
    Is your puss prone to furballs? Mine used to vomit when it had them. But, to put your mind at ease, I agree you should make an appointment with the vet.

It does get furballs now and then and coughs them out, never seen it sick them out though.
  • SuperSpursSuperSpurs Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how long does it have to persist?

Not trying to be rude but you said the last month he's been ratty, and the last week he's been dribbling.

It may well be nothing serious but wouldn't you feel better if you checked it before it was too late?
    It does sound like it might be his mouth/teeth, and it might not just go away if that's the case.

:)
    Forum Member

Not trying to be rude but you said the last month he's been ratty, and the last week he's been dribbling.

It may well be nothing serious but wouldn't you feel better if you checked it before it was too late?
    It does sound like it might be his mouth/teeth, and it might not just go away if that's the case.

Last few months it's been ratty, not last month.

And I've already said I'll get it seen to on Monday.
  • shardlakeshardlake Posts: 304
    Forum Member

That's what I thought, could have gingivitis(sp) which is very unpleasant, are her gums redish? she may not be chewing her food properly because her mouths sore and therfore being sick, when cats behaviour changes like this it usually means they are unwell and /or in pain.
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read this thread as "Is my cat dieting?" at first.

The symptoms are probably the same, lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat Jospeh (indoor) is a grumpy sod if he dont get what he wants, he throws up fur balls constantly, and then expects more food, and guess what still grumpy we have come to realise its cause he is a man..........on the serious side my cat has FIV (which is why indoor), so get the puss checked out for own peace of mind :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Take HIM or HER to the vet!
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnowDances wrote: »

God yes, our Maine **** howls like a banshee when he's about to dump a furball! It's horrible!

The other possibility is a tooth problem. One of our cats was really ratty and snarled at everyone. We found he had very bad teeth, and he underwent surgery to have most of them removed. He's fine now and a lot better tempered (and is quite happy to gum his food instead!).
  • Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A typical symptom of a cat dying, is they start to lay asleep in the litter tray.

if they fall asleep in their dirt-tray, their giving up hope

this is what our last 2 cats were doing just before they died.
  • LilaLila Posts: 6,780
    Forum Member
    Sounds like her teeth are causing her pain. Please take her to the vets cos humans know how bad it is for them - imagine how she feels & she can't do anything about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    If you cared for your cat, you woudn't waste time on this forum, you would allready have gone to the Vet!
    If it was a child then would you act in the same way?
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob22 wrote: »
    A typical symptom of a cat dying, is they start to lay asleep in the litter tray.

Yes ours did that too.
  • shardlakeshardlake Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    So OP did you take your cat to the vets, what did they say?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darn, does that mean I have to buy a litter tray for mine or will they go and lie in next door's garden to die? (I hope).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Break the door down, well call the RSPCA, it's clear this family shouldn't have animals.

EDIT: You deleted your post, just so people know i'm not totally mad and responding to nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member

When my cat Beans was a kitten he always use to sleep in the litter tray- until one morning i woke up came downstairs and he was curled up in the frying pan! :D

I hope you cat is ok and if he is old and dying then i hope its a peaceful passing