Do you consider 5 years a long time?

fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you think 5 years is a long time? How much can change in that amount of time? Looking back on your lives this time 5 years ago, how different is everything now in comparison?

Just a random thread, no reason behind it :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot can change in five years, also time goes so fast so five years just goes before you even know it.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Is five yearsalong time?
    It depends.
    If I was hanging by my balls on a spike, then yes, five years would be a very long time.😬
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a long time for wee Jimmy to be at the shops getting my Rothmans and toffee poppets.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    well when I was younger five years would have seemed like forever, same as a teenager, as an adult they started to go faster then since I have had kids they disappear in the blink of an eye
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    5 years ago I had a mother, a full-time job and a home where I wanted to live.

All gone. Will get worse soon.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    well when I was younger five years would have seemed like forever, same as a teenager, as an adult they started to go faster then since I have had kids they disappear in the blink of an eye

I agree with this.

When you're younger, five years is a large span - so many things change.

The older you get, five years doesn't seem much in comparison to how long you've already lived. Once life has settled and you've managed to get into a groove, five years can pass with no major changes.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think 5 years is a long time? How much can change in that amount of time? Looking back on your lives this time 5 years ago, how different is everything now in comparison?

Just a random thread, no reason behind it :)

Think back to July 2009 and all the changes that have happened since then, not only in the world generally, but to you, your circumstances, family and friends.

There you have your answer.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Retrospectively I find that changes that have happened during the last 5 years have had no impact on my perception of how quickly the time passed. I've had 5 year periods of little change, and 5 year periods of significant change. Looking back I don't perceive them to have passed differently.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to think 5 years was a long time then we had our 30th wedding anniversary and I realised how fast time has gone, only seems like yesterday we met !
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    When you're...say...10yrs old, I year is one tenth of your life, and seems along time,
    When you're 100yrs old , 1 year is one hundreth of your life , which is a small part of your life, so the years seem to go quicker
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Not really. After 5 years i was told I was clear of cancer, 2 years further on it is back....
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a lot has changed for me in the last 5 years (age 17 to 22), but I don't feel it's a long time.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a long time in a human life, I reckon. Obviously, some five-year segments are more eventful than others. The last five years have been eventful for me, not always in a good way - in fact, I feel I've aged 20 years!
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Not really. After 5 years i was told I was clear of cancer, 2 years further on it is back....

Sorry to hear that - I hope all goes well for you. x
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and no.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Yes it is long time. Consider your first 15 years as growing up, so 5 years any time after that and before your death (at say 80) = 7.7% of your life.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Five years ago, I thought life had been bad.

Five years later, with what life has thrown at me, I really had nothing to complain about in 2009. I dread to think what will have happened in another five years' time.

Why did things seem so much simple say 20 or 30 years ago?
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    It doesn't seem like a lot changes whilst your living through it but when you start to look back and think about it for me there are so many changes from when I was 22 until now.

For the amount that has happened it seems like a long time but in reality it passed so quickly.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2.6 million minutes
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Five years is nothing. In my Dad's lifetime, he has seen the introduction of talking movies, invention of TV, use of the telephone in normal domestic premises, a world war, colour TV, 3D TV, computers, the internet, cars with all sorts of things other than starting handles, jet aircraft, holidays abroad And he still is think about buy a new laptop "'cos my old ones getting a bit slow now and I'd like to be ale to watch films on it". He's 91 !!

No, 5 years is nothing at all.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends!

5 years between the ages of say 21-26 and not much happened? Same job, still living at home, same boyfriend for most of that time :o Don't get me wrong I had a ball, lots of holidays / nights out / weekends away etc..

However the past 5 years have seen much change, namely having my first child and now expecting my second.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time goes more quickly the older you get. So if you're over, say, 25, then no it isn't.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »

Good grief don't they just?!!!
    It seriously seems like a few weeks since my kids started school. My son is 20 next year, my daughter 21 next month and I'm sat here wondering where the time in between went!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, seeing as it's 1/6th of my life span. This year seems to have gone quick, though. But I've done and been through a lot, so I guess it's the saying "time flies when you're having fun".
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My life gets turned upside down every five years or so, given that it's the average time between video game hardware revisions. Every five years, get used to new development tools, new hardware, new techniques etc.

So in some ways, it's not a long time because you usually squeezed out a fair few games in that time and the time whizzed passed. In others it is, because at the end of that period you'd end up with radical changes and you'd realise how far things had come in that period of time.