The league of gentlemen.

Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
Forum Member
✭✭
Did anyone else find this show. really funny.

I have been watching it again. The first two series.

I just can't stop laughing.

I used to watch it as a kid. I laughed. But I didn't understand it like I do now.

It is so much better than the sketch shows, such as little Britian and the Catherin tate show.

I want to know. Is the christmas special available anywhere online.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I miss this show, and you are right the current sketch shows do not even come close.

You could possibly find a torrent for it if you looked around, unfortunately it is not on itunes to buy.
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    I watched it from the very first episode, one of THE best comedy shows of the last few years. Totally underrated IMO also. I actually watched the boxset; series 1, 2 + 3 and the xmas special a few days back, never fails to bring the LOLs.

I forget how many of the 'catchphrases' from the show me and my family took on after watching the show ...

"Is that Dave?"
    "This is a local shop there's nothing for you here!"
    "You lied to me Edward ... there IS a Swansea!"
    "The precious things"
    "Don't be so rude dear!"
    "Alles Klar"
    "Justin Justin my very own Justin"
    "Oh you're my wife now!"
    "That Meryl ... she makes me sick!"
    "Paulines Pens"
    "Okey kokey pig in a pokey"
    "Don't be so egregious"
    "Doesn't mean they have to have six parking bays at Safeways, i only nipped in for a Taboo, when i came out the buggers clamped"
    "It's a saga now!"
    "A can I can't"
    "Seven and twelvety pounds"
    "Wolves did it!"
    "The special stuff!"
    "What do you want me to do, roll over and sh!t Mars bars?"

Yes ... i watch it far too much, can pretty much recite the entire series. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this show...

I have a realy good friend called dave who is *always* greeted with..

"Dave.... Dave.... You're MY wife now, Dave"

LOL... he hates it :D

I also use "Okey Dokey.. Pig in a pokey!" and of course "This is a local <insert anything> for local people!"
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I travel from Hull to home, the journey involves going through one of the villages on the way where there is a roadsign that says Local Shop, which usually brings a smile to my face.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the darkness of the show and the 'filmic' look that I really love, it makes it stand out from the crowd.

The League are frighteningly brilliant at performing the characters, they're real actors bouncing off each other perfectly. To me no-one has ever come close to pulling off what they did, before or since. Lucas/Walliams are just pretenders, especially Walliams who's range consists of either camping it up or not camping it up lol.
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Whenever I travel from Hull to home, the journey involves going through one of the villages on the way where there is a roadsign that says Local Shop, which usually brings a smile to my face.

Haha, i'm the same with any 'New Road' signs. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Loved the show! I remember I discovered it a few years ago late one night in the overnight hours of the old BBC Prime channel. Watched one episode and immediately went online and ordered it. A few days later I was hospitalised and the Complete Series DVD Box set arrived the next day. Needless to say it made my time at hospital that bit happier.

Was greatly disappointed by the Movie though! I often rewatch the entire series, but have never watched the movie after that first time.

Anybody else disappointed by the film?
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I'm going to toilet dave... but I'll be back in a moment.." LOL

My fave sketches are,

The denton's.

"You want me to piss into a glass?"

Tubbs and Edward.

" Devil!!!!!........propelled across the land in a carriage of no horse drawn."

Charlie and Stella. out to dinner.

"Me name's not luweegee. it's carl.."

The Denton's

"Let your, bum, balls and Ninnies hang freely."

Tubbs and Edward.

Edward.. "leave it to me tubbs...... I have a way with women.."

David. "I love you mum."

Tubbs, "What is..... love?"

My fave is Pauline. job seekers cclub

Ross. "Friends"

Pauline. "Pens"

Ross "No, friends"

Pauline. "Pens. they're the best friends you can have. everything I learned about people, I learned from pens. If they don't work, you shake em. If they still don't work you chuck away, bin em."

Pauline.

"Leave me me pens"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    Loved the show! I remember I discovered it a few years ago late one night in the overnight hours of the old BBC Prime channel. Watched one episode and immediately went online and ordered it. A few days later I was hospitalised and the Complete Series DVD Box set arrived the next day. Needless to say it made my time at hospital that bit happier.

Was greatly disappointed by the Movie though! I often rewatch the entire series, but have never watched the movie after that first time.

film was ok. but nothing compared to the series. I got a few laughs out of it. but the series was pure hysterical.

I watched this when I was a child. Is that wrong. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Absolute comedy classic. Until series 3. And the even worse movie.

Edward & Tubbs rocked, though I'm glad they don't run my local shop (which is actually just a short distance down the road).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »

Edward & Tubbs rocked, though I'm glad they don't run my local shop (which is actually just a short distance down the road).

Yeh the third series was a bit crap. Still funny in parts. But nothing compared to the first two series.
  • Doll FeetDoll Feet Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEAGUE-GENTLEMEN-CHRISTMAS-SPECIALS-DVD-NEW-/270681534098?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item3f05e06e92

I got the video years ago because it was in a Local Shop biscuit tin :)
  • Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliantly written and brilliantly acted, utterly inspired.

Also it`s a pure homage to all horror films from The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari to the Hammer films of the 70`s. All of the references became even more apparent after I`d watched Mark Gatiss` series on Horror films earlier this summer, which was arguably one of the TV highlights this year.
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    Did anyone else find this show. really funny.

I have been watching it again. The first two series.

I just can't stop laughing.

I used to watch it as a kid. I laughed. But I didn't understand it like I do now.

It is so much better than the sketch shows, such as little Britian and the Catherin tate show.

The Christmas special was on the complete series box set.
    I've just watched the entire series with The League of Gentlemen Box of Delights box set of the two stage shows and film.

Amazon have The League of Gentlemen Christmas Special for £3.49

But for £12.99 there is the entire series plus the Xmas special as well.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Yeh the third series was a bit crap. Still funny in parts. But nothing compared to the first two series.

A bit like the "difficult third album".

Wasn't there also something about "London Ways"?
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tubbs. 'we didn't burn him'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes the film was a dissapointment, a shame but the series was always going to be hard to beat
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    PrinceGaz wrote: »

Nooooo! Series 3 was just wonderful. It was different though. But wonderful in such a different way.
  • crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    A lot of today's so called 'comedy' characters have been nothing but ripped off the League of Gentlemen who got there first with the dark humour and sinister ideas. I honestly don't know how some comedians can look themselves in the mirror and I'd love to know what the LoG writer / performers think of badly regurgitated shite like Little Britain.
  • crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member

I think there were two movies and both were crap. I liked all the series episodes though and saw the live theatre show, which was excellent.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked the third series. They deserve credit for being willing to break with their established format, when it would have been very easy just to keep churing 'em out.

Saying that, the first series was easily the best. Outstanding stuff. Legs Akimbo was amazing.
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    I loved The League of Gents,

I did not like the way Little Britain used the same idea but did not take it any further, instead they went backwards and just exploited the genre.

Brilliant characters, well acted, great costumes, fantastic makeup, atmospheric design
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I think there were two movies and both were crap. I liked all the series episodes though and saw the live theatre show, which was excellent.

Nope, there were three series, one Christmas special and the one Feature film. You might have got confused and thought there was a second feature film because two related Stage shows were released on dvd??
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I liked the third series. They deserve credit for being willing to break with their established format, when it would have been very easy just to keep churing 'em out.

Saying that, the first series was easily the best. Outstanding stuff. Legs Akimbo was amazing.

I really liked the third series except for the one character of the boy magician who seemed to dominate the series. The idea of a time line happening over and over again was great and kept you guessing

Psychoville has a huge amount of League Of Gents humour in it, if you haven't seen Psychoville but you love The League then you should check it out
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 3 was even more disturbing than before because it went a bit more 'gritty', losing the laughter track, hardly any gags, more plot than before. Who can forget Pauline and Ross shagging in the first episode?? You've got to wonder how stuff like that was even broadcast!! Classic League.

The film wasn't all bad, though looking at it now I wish it hadn't featured any Royston Vasey characters at all. I think that was their plan originally but they probably couldn't get the funding for it unless Tubbs and Edward, Papa etc. were in it, so they had to come up with a story featuring Vasey.

I would love them to reunite for an out-and-out horror film, Hammer style! I'm sure they would love to do it too but, again, it's getting the money to do it.