Its time to bombard the BBC with emails, letters and write to MP's etc

royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We NEED to get a good score this years eurovision.

I think Diana Vickers should be our entry, and doing a song similar to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=76f7etXkFZc

But if you think Rylan might be better its ok, say that too. As long as the person is unique and the song won't be forgotten within 5 minutes like last years effort.

Jade Ewan got us 4th. Good voice good song. Lets repeat that!!

Comments

• JordanC55JordanC55 Posts: 9,348
    Forum Member
    I'd be elated if Diana Vickers represented us!
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member

Then stop trying to push people who can't even get the UK public to vote for them.

And as for a song that isn't forgettable, the one you linked to is forgettable while she's still singing it. When are people going to realise that dreary sub-r'n'b has never got us any votes?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,382
    Forum Member
    Erm, Jade finished fifth.
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katsuya wrote: »
    Erm, Jade finished fifth.

I'd say asking for an outdated song that qualified due to juries and flopping in the final is the more pressing concern :D
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think Diana Vickers should be our entry, and doing a song similar to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=76f7etXkFZc

But if you think Rylan might be better its ok, say that too. As long as the person is unique and the song won't be forgotten within 5 minutes like last years effort.

Jade Ewan got us 4th. Good voice good song. Lets repeat that!!

This is a joke, right? Why do we NEED to get a good result?

We just need to have an entry that we can get behind - on paper having a competent live performer, singing a song written by those responsible for some of Adele's biggest hits was a good call by the Beeb last year. No one was to know that The Hump was only really good at singing the same songs he'd been singing for years

Knee jerk reactions abound when there's been a poor year previously, and perspective needs to be applied

Following 2010 BBC pulled it out of the bag with Blue, a song and performance which was voted as worthy of points by 25 of the 42 countries - 11th doesn't sound as though it did well, but it was 5th in the televote which was awesome

I certainly won't write to my MP about it, I won't be "bombarding" anyone with my wishes either, I'll just trust the BBC to get the best they can with the constraints that they have :)
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need something that wouldn't look out of place in the singles charts.
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    We need something that wouldn't look out of place in the singles charts.

You mean the usual r'n'b crap that sinks without trace in Eurovision?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glyn W wrote: »

No not RnB, I actually can't remeber an RnB Eurovision song my self.
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or last years winner that charted at no 3 despite no airplay whatsoever ;)

http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/_/loreen/
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ideal yet realistic possibilities:
    1. Natasha Bedingfield
    2. Amelia Lily
    3. Jade Ewan (with a solo song)
    4. Ruth Lorenzo
    5. Sophie Ellis Bextor
    6. Amy McDonald
    7. Hurts

but we will get....

Lulu
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ideal yet realistic possibilities:
    1. Natasha Bedingfield
    2. Amelia Lily
    3. Jade Ewan (with a solo song)
    4. Ruth Lorenzo
    5. Sophie Ellis Bextor
    6. Amy McDonald
    7. Hurts

but we will get....

Lulu

My top 5 would be

1 Hurts
    2 Amy McDonald
    3 Katie Melua
    4 Mika
    5 Nerina Pallot

My fear for this year

Ginger
  • itunesfestival2itunesfestival2 Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my friends just put up as a facebook status last night 'Seeing Paloma Faith later', with someone commenting, 'You mean our eurovision entrant? ;) '

......Now I don't know who this guy is - but unless it's their personal joke or something...I could freak out with excitement. After all, Paloma helped out at The Voice with the BBC and after her tour which finishes on 17 February, she's not performing in public until the beginning of June at the O2.

Possibly Paloma?
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love it if it was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's on Room 101 now. She would be really good, specially being interviewed by foreign press, she's mad as a hatter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be happy with Paloma.
    Forum Member
    Even I would have to admit she'd be a step in the right direction, as long as she was given control over the choice and presentation of the material. She's certainly ideosyncratic enough to stand out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    JordanC55 wrote: »
    I'd be elated if Diana Vickers represented us!

This. One of Diana's strong points is that she can sing live very well. I've been to two of her gigs and I was never disappointed. She also plays the trumpet live on stage, could get the quirky vote.
  • JordanC55JordanC55 Posts: 9,348
    Forum Member
    Crash25 wrote: »
    This. One of Diana's strong points is that she can sing live very well. I've been to two of her gigs and I was never disappointed. She also plays the trumpet live on stage, could get the quirky vote.

Exactly! She was class live when I saw her on her album tour.

I would love with

Diana Vickers
    Paloma Faith
    Amelia Lily
    Pixie Lott
    Jade Ewen
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We could enter the biggest name in music and we still wouldn't win
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    We could enter the biggest name in music and we still wouldn't win

wow its started early this year :D look what happened when we sent a no body really but with backing from one of our biggest exports in 2009 and we came 5th then look what happened when we sent blue in 2011 we came 11th but more importantly in the televote we came 5th. I hope you do some research before you have your come back. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    wow its started early this year :D look what happened when we sent a no body really but with backing from one of our biggest exports in 2009 and we came 5th then look what happened when we sent blue in 2011 we came 11th but more importantly in the televote we came 5th. I hope you do some research before you have your come back. :)

I still think you could send any major star on behalf of the UK and we still wouldn't win - you could even dig up Elvis and we still wouldn't win
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    Or last years winner that charted at no 3 despite no airplay whatsoever ;)

http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/_/loreen/

It did get airplay.. Capital playlisted it for a week or two and Radio 1 played it at least half a dozen times in the week after ESC
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I still think you could send any major star on behalf of the UK and we still wouldn't win - you could even dig up Elvis and we still wouldn't win

Well, obviously! Elvis is a bit crusty these days.

Stop looking at winning Eurovision as black-or-white, "us" versus "them". Far too many Brits come off as bitter when not winning, despite the fact that there are varying degrees to how well everyone does each year. Please recognise that losing by coming 25th is not the same as losing by coming 2nd. If the UK hypothetically finishes 4th, for example, that doesn't mean we lose and everybody hates us; it means that we did well, but it just so happens that three others were better than us on the night.

The same goes for several other countries who struggle in the rankings year after year, just like we do. Sometimes they end up in the top ten, sometimes they end dead last, at some point they will eventually win. Out of a field of 40 contestants, it's becoming harder to win overall, meaning a top ten position is nothing to be sniffed at. The UK is not the only country taking part, we are one of many taking part, as is every other country, and only one of those countries in the many is destined to finish on top. Everyone else has the potential to end up anywhere between second and last.

Please understand this, get some perspective and come back with a far less stupid contribution.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Then stop trying to push people who can't even get the UK public to vote for them.

If you're referring to Diana not winning the X Factor and coming 4th, Jedward came 6th and still did mediocre in the contest!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9ct mould wrote: »
    Well, obviously! Elvis is a bit crusty these days.

Stop looking at winning Eurovision as black-or-white, "us" versus "them". Far too many Brits come off as bitter when not winning, despite the fact that there are varying degrees to how well everyone does each year. Please recognise that losing by coming 25th is not the same as losing by coming 2nd. If the UK hypothetically finishes 4th, for example, that doesn't mean we lose and everybody hates us; it means that we did well, but it just so happens that three others were better than us on the night.

The same goes for several other countries who struggle in the rankings year after year, just like we do. Sometimes they end up in the top ten, sometimes they end dead last, at some point they will eventually win. Out of a field of 40 contestants, it's becoming harder to win overall, meaning a top ten position is nothing to be sniffed at. The UK is not the only country taking part, we are one of many taking part, as is every other country, and only one of those countries in the many is destined to finish on top. Everyone else has the potential to end up anywhere between second and last.

Please understand this, get some perspective and come back with a far less stupid contribution.

It's just my opinion but I see you're of the school that we're winners even if we don't finish first I'm sorry but in real life there is only one winner and that's the person that finishes first - it's a competition you don't see the person finishing 4th in the Olympics getting a gold medal