Merlin Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smint wrote: »
    I don't think the Big Bird's Granny costume with the moobs has made an appearance yet

Costume description from the first half: "Colin has pale face make up and a feathery jumper and some open skirt thing on. He cart wheeled across the stage before (very badly may I add, it was hilarious) and did some scream that sounds like the finale when he wad trapped in the crystal cave. It wad wonderful"

Oh, and apparently Coliin is the one hanging from the stairs

Link doesn't work for me Smint.

(How are you feeling now btw?)
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    Link doesn't work for me Smint.

(How are you feeling now btw?)

Oh. Looks like the photo's been taken down :(

Back to the doc's tomorrow - still feeling pretty crappy and wheezy . . . it's been over a week now and it's getting VERY annoying! :mad:

OK, try this link - 2nd set of photos down
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh. Looks like the photo's been taken down :(

Back to the doc's tomorrow - still feeling pretty crappy and wheezy . . . it's been over a week now and it's getting VERY annoying! :mad:

OK, try this link - 2nd set of photos down

Oh thanks for that. I can work out which one is Colin in the fuzzy photo Lem linked to now!

It doesn't look as though Keren is going to be very impressed with the costumes. Saggy boobs apart, Colin doesn't seem to be in anything too revealing. I'm glad I wasn't hoping for a naked chest, or anything like that. :o;)

That's no good that you are still crappy and wheezy. I hope you get sorted soon. xx
  • RazzylewRazzylew Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh thanks for that. I can work out which one is Colin in the fuzzy photo Lem linked to now!

It doesn't look as though Keren is going to be very impressed with the costumes. Saggy boobs apart, Colin doesn't seem to be in anything too revealing. I'm glad I wasn't hoping for a naked chest, or anything like that. :o;)

That's no good that you are still crappy and wheezy. I hope you get sorted soon. xx

They've missed an opportunity there. Surely some naked chest would result in higher dvd sales when it comes out. I'm not sure saggy bird moobs will! :(
  • NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just thinking that. If he'd been topless at any point I'm sure it would have been mentioned by the people tweeting. Ah well, Keren will have to make do with his face. ;):D

And Smint sorry to hear that you're still feeling bad. I hope the doctor can get you feeling better. More drugs! Stronger drugs! That's the solution. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natarhi wrote: »
    And Smint sorry to hear that you're still feeling bad. I hope the doctor can get you feeling better. More drugs! Stronger drugs! That's the solution. :p

Oh yes, I'm holding out for more drugs! :D

Another pic of Colin here

Haven't seen anything about the moobs suit though!
  • NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Haven't seen anything about the moobs suit though!
    I wonder if that's because it was the one that people had already seen? I'd have expected some comment on it.

And Avi (and Keren) look how close you could be to Colin if you were willing to stand! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Avi (and Keren) look how close you could be to Colin if you were willing to stand! :p

Wow, that is close.

A bit too close though if I am honest.
  • Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not too bad. They are about a person-width wide, but they generally move the action around a lot so nothing is obscured for too long. :) But yes, you should prepare yourself for the fact that there may be moments where Colin is on stage but you can't see him. :eek::mad::mad::p

WHAT?! How much do standing tickets cost? They're quite cheap aren't they? Maybe I could get a standing one as well then I could go to my seat when my legs start to hurt. :o By the way, is there much leg room in the seats?

First moobs, now a skirt...is he wearing tights?! And don't even get me started on the top. You can't even see his neck FFS! I swear the costume designer is making sure there's as little flesh on display as possible. Surely he's going to have his arms out at some point? :cry: And he's bound to in the Q and A session, isn't he? Next, they'll probably announce he's not even going to be at the Q and A session. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, that is close.

A bit too close though if I am honest.

Do you not trust yourself to reach out and drag him off the stage, Avi? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First moobs, now a skirt...is he wearing tights?! And don't even get me started on the top. You can't even see his neck FFS! I swear the costume designer is making sure there's as little flesh on display as possible. Surely he's going to have his arms out at some point? :cry: And he's bound to in the Q and A session, isn't he? Next, they'll probably announce he's not even going to be at the Q and A session. :rolleyes:

Maybe the theatre is hoping that the audience will go to see the play, not just Colin Morgan's body parts . . . ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the theatre is hoping that the audience will go to see the play, not just Colin Morgan's body parts . . . ;)

Haha, maybe. But let's face it, I bet at least half of their audience are only going because Colin's in it. If they'd had him topless as well, they'd have had even more going! Ultimately, they're a business, you'd think they'd want to make lots of money.

Oh well, now I know there will be none of Colin's flesh on display whatsoever, I may as well get completely hammered. I think it's the only way I'm going to be able to sit through it. I am looking forward to Colin singing and swinging about, so that's something at least.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, maybe. But let's face it, I bet at least half of their audience are only going because Colin's in it. If they'd had him topless as well, they'd have had even more going! Ultimately, they're a business, you'd think they'd want to make lots of money.

Oh well, now I know there will be none of Colin's flesh on display whatsoever, I may as well get completely hammered. I think it's the only way I'm going to be able to sit through it. I am looking forward to Colin singing and swinging about, so that's something at least.

It was described as being full of fangirls last night ;)

Maybe the costumes get more revealing as the play progresses to weed out the over-enthusiastic fangirls who leapt in at the start of the run, and provide entertainment for those more dedicated fans who arranged their visit so they can see him at the Q&A

As the August one is the last one he's doing (I think), he'll probably be quite, quite naked by then ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you not trust yourself to reach out and drag him off the stage, Avi? ;)

Nah, it's not that (though I would not trust myself to not want to reach out and touch him with my fingertip :o)

It's more the thought of having to stare upwards all the time, (cricked necks are not my thing!) and it being obvious at that close quarters that I am staring at him. At least further back you can look at the stage generally, and no-one needs to know your eyes are focussed on one man only.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHAT?! How much do standing tickets cost? They're quite cheap aren't they? Maybe I could get a standing one as well then I could go to my seat when my legs start to hurt. :o By the way, is there much leg room in the seats?

I don't know if this is generally permissable (my brother is a 'do whatever he likes' sort of person) but he told me one play he had a seated ticket for, he found the seats so uncomfortable that in the second half he went and stood in the yard and found it much more enjoyable. But maybe there was not a capacity audience there that day. I imagine there must be a set number of people allowed to stand in the space...

Are you telling me you don't know that he will be at the Q and A session? Is it not advertised in advance who will be there? Still, I suppose if he is not, you can always leave and enjoy Smint's story telling instead.

ETA: It did occur to me that, on an openair stage, it was somewhat unlikely that any actor would be required to be naked in April. Maybe this is his colder weather costume (it looks snug!) and he has something else to wear if there is a heatwave. He could faint wearing that in warm weather!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe the costumes get more revealing as the play progresses to weed out the over-enthusiastic fangirls who leapt in at the start of the run, and provide entertainment for those more dedicated fans who arranged their visit so they can see him at the Q&A

As the August one is the last one he's doing (I think), he'll probably be quite, quite naked by then ;)

I like your thinking Smint! But are we not overenthusiastic fangirls? (Or rather, am I not an overenthusiastic fangirl? :o) But then August will be summer holidays, so it'll be full of overenthusiastic schoolgirls. They might go back to the fully covered up costumes then. :(
    Nah, it's not that (though I would not trust myself to not want to reach out and touch him with my fingertip :o)

It's more the thought of having to stare upwards all the time, (cricked necks are not my thing!) and it being obvious at that close quarters that I am staring at him. At least further back you can look at the stage generally, and no-one needs to know your eyes are focussed on one man only.

I don't think I could stand that close either. The thought of Colin looking at me that close-up, I'd be like this - :o:o:o:o:o. Part of me wants to do it though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I could stand that close either. The thought of Colin looking at me that close-up, I'd be like this - :o:o:o:o:o. Part of me wants to do it though.

Yeah, but he's not looking at you if you are that close though is he? I know this is only one shot, but is looking out over the heads of the people in the yard towards the seated people which is how I imagine it must be a lot of the time because actors have to project their voices to the back, don't they?

Tell you what. We are in the lower seats (but at the side, not straight out front) on Saturday. I will have a good think about it for you when I am there, and let you know where would be your best bet to be. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this is generally permissable (my brother is a 'do whatever he likes' sort of person) but he told me one play he had a seated ticket for, he found the seats so uncomfortable that in the second half he went and stood in the yard and found it much more enjoyable. But maybe there was not a capacity audience there that day. I imagine there must be a set number of people allowed to stand in the space...

Hmmm maybe I'll stand up near the front in the second half then, when I'm feeling braver. How could they stop me? It's not like I'm going to take up much room anyway. ;) Seeing as I managed to walk out in the middle of a play without anyone noticing or stopping me, I'm sure I'll be able to sneak my way to the front without too many problems.
    Are you telling me you don't know that he will be at the Q and A session? Is it not advertised in advance who will be there? Still, I suppose if he is not, you can always leave and enjoy Smint's story telling instead.

ETA: It did occur to me that, on an openair stage, it was somewhat unlikely that any actor would be required to be naked in April. Maybe this is his colder weather costume (it looks snug!) and he has something else to wear if there is a heatwave. He could faint wearing that in warm weather!

It just says it's with the actors I think, it doesn't specify who. Anyway, you were the one who put the idea in my head, you said ages ago he might not be there! It hadn't even occurred to me before then.

You're absolutely right about the weather! He can't wear that feather top when it's 30 degrees (it's unlikely to be, but possible). He'll surely at least have his arms out if it's hot. Especially if he's doing lots of swinging about, he's going to get sweaty. Hopefully very sweaty. :o I really want to see a sweaty haired Colin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but he's not looking at you if you are that close though is he? I know this is only one shot, but is looking out over the heads of the people in the yard towards the seated people which is how I imagine it must be a lot of the time because actors have to project their voices to the back, don't they?

Tell you what. We are in the lower seats (but at the side, not straight out front) on Saturday. I will have a good think about it for you when I am there, and let you know where would be your best bet to be. ;)

Yeah I suppose he would be looking out towards the back most of the time but his eyes must glance downwards every so often. And once he looks at me, it'll be love at first sight, he won't be able to tear his eyes away. ;) Actually, he's probably more likely to look at me in the Q and A session.

Oh please do let me know. I actually don't think I could sit on those seats for 3 hours, from everyone's descriptions of them. I'd have to bring 2 cushions, one for my bum and one for my back (although I suppose I could just about survive with just the bum cushion) and I can't be bothered to lug them about everywhere with me. Me and Natarhi are bringing in bottles of coke with vodka in, so once I've drunk that I'll be feeling brave enough to go and stand near the front.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I suppose he would be looking out towards the back most of the time but his eyes must glance downwards every so often. And once he looks at me, it'll be love at first sight, he won't be able to tear his eyes away. ;) Actually, he's probably more likely to look at me in the Q and A session.

Oh please do let me know. I actually don't think I could sit on those seats for 3 hours, from everyone's descriptions of them. I'd have to bring 2 cushions, one for my bum and one for my back (although I suppose I could just about survive with just the bum cushion) and I can't be bothered to lug them about everywhere with me. Me and Natarhi are bringing in bottles of coke with vodka in, so once I've drunk that I'll be feeling brave enough to go and stand near the front.

Oh are you??? :eek:

I'm not sure you'll be able to stand, let alone move between areas :D

But it is a known fact that actors can catch the eye of audience members (ie. it happens in one of my stories) so you never know . . . ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have to bring 2 cushions, one for my bum and one for my back (although I suppose I could just about survive with just the bum cushion) and I can't be bothered to lug them about everywhere with me.

Tell me about it. At the moment, I am up to 6 cushions, (one each) coats, (my kids never wear them but I will insist they have them) at least one blanket for emergency purposes (it is meant to be cold on Saturday) and my 2 eldest sons' overnight things (they aren't coming back with us afterwards). I will be easily identifiable as the mad bag lady at this rate! I daren't add dubious bottles of drink to my load for fear of being thrown out!
  • Lem_1Lem_1 Posts: 423
    Forum Member

Depends on direction. At the Globe actors often pick on individual groundlings to address certain lines at. Imagine that!! :D
    Yes, they sell a maximum of 700 standing tickets I believe. If you want a spot at the front, you have to queue for entry quite early.

Are you telling me you don't know that he will be at the Q and A session? Is it not advertised in advance who will be there?

They don't tell you who will be attending the Q&A so it possible that (*whispers this VERY quietly*) Colin might not be there:eek:
    However, I don't think that is likely. The Globe are savvy, they know he's a big attraction and I expect the Q&A will have him and Allan at least.
    Hmmm maybe I'll stand up near the front in the second half then, when I'm feeling braver.

I doubt you'll get there for 2nd half as I expect people guard their place next to the stage quite well, it's very good to have something to lean against if you're standing for 3 hours.

Nice review here
    http://www.london-reviews.co.uk/author/london-reviews/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lem_1 wrote: »

WOW! Thanks for the review Lem. I want to read as many as I can so keep them coming! (Psst, this wasn't written by you was it, what with the talk of seeing it again, and possibly on Saturday?!)

I am shocked at the bit at the beginning though (about the bad behaviour of the audience). I guess this is similar for everyone here, but all my talk of taking pictures and touching cast members is just talk, as far as I am concerned. I am the least fangirly person I can imagine in real life. I cringe at such behaviour. And I certainly know how to behave in a theatre. How awful that others do not. The most I will do is possibly whisper a bit of explanation to my 10 year old, maybe nudge him when Colin first comes on so he realises who he is - nothing more.

I really hope the audience on Saturday is a bit calmer. I will be boiling with rage at having my very expensive evening out ruined if they are not. :mad:

That said, it sounds like a fun production. And for Keren:
    My eye was on Colin Morgan as Ariel throughout, given that I am a huge fan, but he’s certainly got a lovely character in Ariel. He played him with a sweet and slightly confused air, which made him quite adorable. Kudos to Colin also on his accent, which was amazingly spot on throughout and I honestly didn’t think it sounded like him at all. Even though he played Merlin with an English accent, it was vastly different. I had shivers up my spine when Ariel became a harpy. He really was fantastic.

He got to climb around the stage like a nimble nymph, it was fun to watch. He was hanging from bars and swinging around. He sang a bit. I wouldn’t say singing was his strong point, but I suspect he’ll only get better as the run continues. It’s a tough gig!
    On a small shallow note – Colin looks dashing as Ariel. His cheekbones wow. And long hair combed back yeah. And tight top all tight v good. I don’t want to bring the tone of my blog down, but who am I kidding, Colin just gets more attractive all the time!! Extremely pretty in this.

And another thing I couldn't do in real life: stage dooring. Interesting that the reviewer thinks it is part and parcel of being a theatre actor.

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh are you???

I'm not sure you'll be able to stand, let alone move between areas.

But it is a known fact that actors can catch the eye of audience members (ie. it happens in one of my stories) so you never know . . . ;)

Yes, we are! Got to keep the momentum going so we can pluck up the courage to ask a question later on. And your stories are well renowned for how realistic they are Smint, so it's bound to happen. ;)
    Depends on direction. At the Globe actors often pick on individual groundlings to address certain lines at. Imagine that!! :D

They do?!!!! :eek: I want Colin to say a line to me...I could seriously die happy if that happened. :o
    Yes, they sell a maximum of 700 standing tickets I believe. If you want a spot at the front, you have to queue for entry quite early.

Are you telling me that you don't just barge your way to the front. Is that not how it works? :D Maybe I won't stand up, I don't want to queue early, and if I don't get at the front you can guarantee some 6ft 5 rugby player will stand in front of me so I won't be able to see a thing. Do they ever direct lines at people in the seats? (Please say yes).
    They don't tell you who will be attending the Q&A so it possible that (*whispers this VERY quietly*) Colin might not be there:eek:
    However, I don't think that is likely. The Globe are savvy, they know he's a big attraction and I expect the Q&A will have him and Allan at least.

No...NO...NOOOOOOOOOOOO. He HAS to be there! It's the Q and A session I'm looking forward to the most. :( Natarhi will have a nervous breakdown if he's not there, and as for what I'll do....well, I don't know yet but it won't be pretty.

Doesn't sound like Colin gets topless (boo) but I love how they mention how tight his tops are. Well at least that's something! They say how it's supposed to be rowdy to be like an Elizabethan theatre so maybe we could shout at Colin to get his kit off, and we'd just be seen as adding an air of authenticity to the atmosphere. :D And he didn't go to the stage door....that doesn't bode well. :( I bet we'll go to this Q and A session and it will just be full of toffs talking nonsense.
  • star89star89 Posts: 24,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all

Keren will fit right in then :p
    I am shocked at the bit at the beginning though (about the bad behaviour of the audience). I guess this is similar for everyone here, but all my talk of taking pictures and touching cast members is just talk, as far as I am concerned. I am the least fangirly person I can imagine in real life. I cringe at such behaviour. And I certainly know how to behave in a theatre. How awful that others do not. The most I will do is possibly whisper a bit of explanation to my 10 year old, maybe nudge him when Colin first comes on so he realises who he is - nothing more.

I really hope the audience on Saturday is a bit calmer. I will be boiling with rage at having my very expensive evening out ruined if they are not. :mad:

I agree with you Avi.. unfortunatly I've witnessed everything you've mentioned (but on a much worse scale) and it really is cringe worthy sometimes. I understand people's joy at seeing the stars they love but they do need to remember how to behave.. a crying screaming fangirl does nothing but get you remembered by said star as just that, a weird, crying, screaming fangirl :rolleyes:
    As you said especially (like you said) in a place like a Theatre they really should know better.

I do hope your evening isn't ruined by such behaviour :)