Straker wrote: »
    Doon roolz! :D

I have just found what she was in .. those blooming Direct Line ads :mad:
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed this.

It reminded me of The Inbetweeners cum Blackadder.

I also enjoyed the soundtrack to the programme as it somehow made it seem cool.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    This should have been the worst show ever but actually it was watchable.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoyed this.

yes!!!!!! although I failed to find it as funny - which was a shame because I wanted to enjoy it - I just didnt :o
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only watched the 2 nd episode and loved it.,
    Yes it is definitely influenced by the Inbetweeners but it's still very original in it's own way, showing people are just the same whatever the era. thought the comparison of Football matches to Gladiator fights was very funny,
    The girl who thought the Gladiators where acting because it was a theatre had me in hysterics.
    If other episodes are as good as the 2nd then i can see it being a hit.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    yes!!!!!! although I failed to find it as funny - which was a shame because I wanted to enjoy it - I just didnt :o
    Sure, it's not as funny as The Inbetweeners/Blackadder, but that's a pretty high bar, the latter especially.

But funnier than most recent ITV2 (or BBC3 for that matter) sitcoms? I'd say it definitely was.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought both episodes were pretty funny. It's nicely silly comedy, with a bit of a knowing reference to modern customs, behaviour etc. which makes it nicely contemporary - reminds me of Chelmsford 123.

Good to see Dyer getting his head chopped off as well. Shame it's just acting (like the gladiator fights haha).

And always good to see the ever-reliable Doon Mackichan.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoyed this.

Yes I like the incidental ska music.
    I've no idea at all why they chose that style of music as you'd think that it doesn't make sense and doesn't fit. But somehow it works for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    Only watched the 2 nd episode and loved it.,
    Yes it is definitely influenced by the Inbetweeners but it's still very original in it's own way, showing people are just the same whatever the era. thought the comparison of Football matches to Gladiator fights was very funny,
    The girl who thought the Gladiators where acting because it was a theatre had me in hysterics.
    If other episodes are as good as the 2nd then i can see it being a hit.

I don't think that's in the least bit original.
    I like the show, but the vast majority of programmes that depict the past try to modernize the characters up and make them appear contemporary.
    I find it much rarer to find programmes that illustrate the past in a way which depicts people in a non-contemporary manner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that's in the least bit original.
    I like the show, but the vast majority of programmes that depict the past try to modernize the characters up and make them appear contemporary.
    I find it much rarer to find programmes that illustrate the past in a way which depicts people in a non-contemporary manner.
    I can think of a few programmes set in the past but i can't think of any that show people acting out their daily lives just as many do today. i wouldn't class Up Pompei or the Flintstones as this type of programme.
    What comedy programmes where you thinking of
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can think of a few programmes set in the past but i can't think of any that show people acting out their daily lives just as many do today. i wouldn't class Up Pompei or the Flintstones as this type of programme.
    What comedy programmes where you thinking of

Not any in particular, the vast majority.
    I find it harder to think of ones that don't than I can that do.

It's almost the default position to take nowadays, to set something in a period in the past and have them speak with modern sensibilities, usually even making a few pop culture references that modern audiences will 'get' and see similarities with something set in the modern day.

Don't get me wrong, I like it so far, but I certainly wouldn't credit it for being original by virtue of making the characters act and speak as though they're modern people like us.
    Most shows do this.

I think the series 'Rome' made a pretty decent fist of trying to make people act as though they were living in that age with very different social and moral attitudes and values.
    It's arguable how successful it was at doing that in regards to its authenticity but I think it did better than most who just don't even bother trying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not any in particular, the vast majority.
    I find it harder to think of ones that don't than I can that do.

It's almost the default position to take nowadays, to set something in a period in the past and have them speak with modern sensibilities, usually even making a few pop culture references that modern audiences will 'get' and see similarities with something set in the modern day.

Don't get me wrong, I like it so far, but I certainly wouldn't credit it for being original by virtue of making the characters act and speak as though they're modern people like us.
    Most shows do this.

I think the series 'Rome' made a pretty decent fist of trying to make people act as though they were living in that age with very different social and moral attitudes and values.
    It's arguable how successful it was at doing that in regards to its authenticity but I think it did better than most who just don't even bother trying.
    Watched both series of Rome, really can't see how a comparison can be made except obviously they are set in the same period.
    Never laughed much watching Rome either.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was awful. The bloke who played Leighton in Trollied, (which wasn't bad in the main.)
    was just a less thick version. Unless the actor is limited. Plus he has a voice a bit like Robert Webb.
    I didn't like the incidental ska music.
    Trying to incorporate modern day things just ended up being pathetic. Had to quit watching after the first episode.
  • Options
    SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brand new comedy Plebs premiered with a double bill on ITV2 last night to record-breaking figures, becoming the channel's biggest sitcom launch in its 14 year history. The show pulled in just under 900,000 viewers, which is well above the channel's slot average of just over 500,000 for the past 12 months.

Seems like it might return for a second series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched both series of Rome, really can't see how a comparison can be made except obviously they are set in the same period.
    Never laughed much watching Rome either.

I think you've lost the grasp of what we were talking about. I wasn't comparing Rome to Plebs, that was just an aside at the end of my post to highlight an example of a period TV show which you say is commonplace.
    Any similarities Rome has to Plebs is purely incidental.

Most shows or films set in a different era do the contemporary take on things to make the characters appear more like us, or make references to pop culture, or current affairs, or reflect whatever the current political climate is.
    I'm not saying that Plebs should, I'm just saying that it doesn't deserve any credit for being original or breaking new ground in this respect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seems like it might return for a second series.

That's quite surprising.
    I think it probably deserves another series because compared to the usual ITV2 output it's pretty good and quite different from the usual fare it churns out.

Does anybody here remember Chelmsford 123?
    That's the only other Roman based TV sitcom that I can think of, apart from Up Pompeii.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was funny. The main character sounded just like Will from Inbetweeners tbh. The only character I disliked was the guy with the pudding bowl haircut (I know he was meant to be annoying but his character didnt work for me). Also Lydia Rose Bewley who plays the servant girl is hot ;)
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's quite surprising.
    I think it probably deserves another series because compared to the usual ITV2 output it's pretty good and quite different from the usual fare it churns out.

Does anybody here remember Chelmsford 123?
    That's the only other Roman based TV sitcom that I can think of, apart from Up Pompeii.

Well you said it - Up Pompeii.

This is without doubt an updated Up Pompeii. Nothing more nothing less. The other comedy set in Ancient Rome was the Phil Silvers movie A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum. 1962.
  • Options
    zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The redhead slave is gorgeous.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    The redhead slave is gorgeous.

Oh yes she's very tidy.
    It's not hilarious but its amusing enough, watched both episodes back to back, I'll watch more assuming I remember when it's on.
    OK so it's a another 'take' on a Blackadder or Chelmsford 123 type idea, doesn't need to be ground breaking, just needs to be amusing and it does that OK.

Doon is still a fine looking woman too btw.

One idea that came to mind, is if they'd taken a Jeeves and Wooster type relationship with the 2 Britons.
    Smart/stiff upper lip slave and flighty trust fund mistress.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Main fella was on The Wright Stuff this morning. According to him it was cheap as chips to make so it's almost guaranteed there'll be more particularly as the ratings were stellar for ITV2.
  • Options
    livia123livia123 Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Main fella was on The Wright Stuff this morning. According to him it was cheap as chips to make so it's almost guaranteed there'll be more particularly as the ratings were stellar for ITV2.

Saw him on The Wright Stuff this morning - he's was wildly entertaining - completely off his rocker.
    Based on the clip I decided to watch it on catch up and thought it was hilarious.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will this be about what the BBC see as the majority of BBC1 viewers?
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I like the incidental ska music.
    I've no idea at all why they chose that style of music as you'd think that it doesn't make sense and doesn't fit. But somehow it works for me.
    White Van Man also used great ska tracks as incidental music, Only link I could see was 'gladiator' 'liquidator' ... maybe not. Still, great use of music.