Options

New ITV2 sitcom - Plebs

124»

Comments

• Options
    Doll FeetDoll Feet Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have only seen Herpes Cat so far. I'll be watching again because I love Grumio.
  • Options
    DeanDSDeanDS Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grumio's glum deadpan face combined with the dual thumbs up to the landlord just makes me laugh for some reason.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still enjoying this.

I hope it gets another series.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Seems to get better on repeated viewings, watched it (most of it) 3 times now due to PVR faults.
    OK it's not awesome, I don't care about the characters, but it's provides some humour, does what it needs to do.

I must say the Beer ads that come with the program have got me baffled, I don't 'get' whatever it is I'm supposed to 'get' from the ads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pon farr wrote: »
    I keep watching hoping it will be funny, at least I enjoy Doon Mackichan. Just don't get Grumio, a humourless Baldrick.

To be fair to Grumio, he is a slave; plus, he isn't humourless, he's actually the funniest character on the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nobody tune in to see Brian Murphy give 'our' lead a toeing?
    ITV's timings seem to be out, can never record the whole program with the PVR, always chops the end off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair to Grumio, he is a slave; plus, he isn't humourless, he's actually the funniest character on the show.

Agreed. Some really good lines, great delivery and fascinating mannerisms. He's all I'm watching whenever he's on screen. I'm a fan. I'd buy him :)

I like your Services :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like the series as a fan of history who read a 'funny thing happened on the way to the forum' (the worlds oldest joke book) a few years back much of the humour does fit the bill of what Romans found funny. (It's all very life of Brian)

Sex jokes, sexual problems jokes. Either not being able to do it or doing it with a close relative:eek:

Thick people from the country, or another country. Or just someone who's thicker than Haderian's Wall ;)

Slaves who are smarter than their masters (Grumio fits the bill he does sweet FA yet Marcus doesn't sell him):)

And the ever present problem of bloody thracean banana salesmen.:D
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoying this, shame its dropping in the ratings though. Its gone from 900,000 odd to just under 400,000. It does still timeshift 200,000 + though :mad:
  • Options
    bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show is unique in that it's title describes it's audience.
  • Options
    nightporternightporter Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bratwurzt wrote: »
    This show is unique in that it's title describes it's audience.

I guess you prefer An Idiot Abroad.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite as funny this week but still some good moments (being Thracist!)

Watching Doon eating a banana is always enjoyable :o

And I was surprised to see Brian Murphy. I thought he was dead!
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Neither do I, because (perhaps unlike bratwurzt?) I know what it originally meant - free, land-owning, non-aristocratic citizenry - the 'Middle Classes' in the common vernacular.

I've enjoyed the show, but to be honest some of the writing is a bit lazy. I'm not holding out for rigourous historical accuracy but in the episode where Stylax was banging his cousin there was a joke about how "nobody is really in favour of incest except the Royal Family" which just sounded cheap and ridiculous when the very same gag could have been made using references to 'Caesar' and been both appropriate for the period and had a basis in truth. And Brian Murphy's old soldier would probably not have been rattling a collecting 'tin', another cheap, lazy line that could easily have been re-written to use a more historically accurate vessel and still maintained the core elements of the plot.

A transplanted 'contemporary comedy' where only the clothes have been changed is all well and good, but could be so much better if at least some of the jokes and dialogue were more tailored to the period in which it is set (not that I'm advocating Latin with subtitles, LOL!)

On the plus side, shooting in Bulgaria has meant they've been able to create some marvellous sets and populate them with enough background characters to look busy and convincing.

And to answer the question posed, other than Joel Fry there does not appear to be any link with White Van Man, though one of the writer/producers, Sam Leifer, worked on Dan Clark's How Not to Live Your Life. The other writer/producer is Tom Basden who plays 'Water Boy' (Water Man!) Aurelius.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoying this, shame its dropping in the ratings though. Its gone from 900,000 odd to just under 400,000. It does still timeshift 200,000 + though :mad:

Those are good ratings aren't they?
    Especially when you consider that on some nights Channel 5 or even Channel 4 struggle to get over a million.
    I would have thought that for ITV 2 those would be very good ratings?
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    Neither do I, because (perhaps unlike bratwurzt?) I know what it originally meant - free, land-owning, non-aristocratic citizenry - the 'Middle Classes' in the common vernacular.

I've enjoyed the show, but to be honest some of the writing is a bit lazy. I'm not holding out for rigourous historical accuracy but in the episode where Stylax was banging his cousin there was a joke about how "nobody is really in favour of incest except the Royal Family" which just sounded cheap and ridiculous when the very same gag could have been made using references to 'Caesar' and been both appropriate for the period and had a basis in truth. And Brian Murphy's old soldier would probably not have been rattling a collecting 'tin', another cheap, lazy line that could easily have been re-written to use a more historically accurate vessel and still maintained the core elements of the plot.

A transplanted 'contemporary comedy' where only the clothes have been changed is all well and good, but could be so much better if at least some of the jokes and dialogue were more tailored to the period in which it is set (not that I'm advocating Latin with subtitles, LOL!)

On the plus side, shooting in Bulgaria has meant they've been able to create some marvellous sets and populate them with enough background characters to look busy and convincing.

And to answer the question posed, other than Joel Fry there does not appear to be any link with White Van Man, though one of the writer/producers, Sam Leifer, worked on Dan Clark's How Not to Live Your Life. The other writer/producer is Tom Basden who plays 'Water Boy' (Water Man!) Aurelius.

I do agree with you that it would be stronger for it.
    I think that the audience would appreciate it and that if you try to play too safe with cultural references by alluding to the modern day too much you're in danger of losing some of what makes you relatively unique and individual.

With the references to things like incest I get the feeling that it was possibly originally written with its period in mind, in fact there a few things in there that made me feel it was written with that era in mind, but that a script editor may have got their hands on it and tried to tailor it too much to try to appeal to that 'modern' audience we keep hearing about from television PR spokespeople.

That aside I think it's a good show. But I think that they could be even better if they did what you propose.
    I agree that they've done good work with the sets to give it a feel of believability. It can draw me into its world without making me feel that it looks like a TV set. If a show can do that like this has and make me forget then I give it due credit.
  • Options
    plattyplatty Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone watch the last episode , thought it was very funny , especially gremio with the priest bloke ....hmmm hmmm hmmmm hmmmmm ......lol , hope they make a 2nd series
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I watched as usual, amusing enough, I'll suffer a second series if it comes off too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught up with the whole series on itv player and loved it. Will be buying the dvd. Grumio is the star of the show but some of the lesser characters, Landlord, Metella, Aurelius and Claudius all have the potential to be great.

Really hope there's a 2nd series, I want to hear more references to Marcus & Grumio's life on the farm. There's a whole history waiting to be explored there.
  • Options
    flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a trailer for season 2:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a577561/plebs-series-2-the-boys-spy-naked-romans-in-first-look-trailer.html#~oJESbIPKzwcqc4

Sorry if this has already been posted, I did do a search but this was the only thread that came up. I'm really looking forward to this, thought the first season was really funny and loved the soundtrack too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flyingv wrote: »
    There's a trailer for season 2:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a577561/plebs-series-2-the-boys-spy-naked-romans-in-first-look-trailer.html#~oJESbIPKzwcqc4

Sorry if this has already been posted, I did do a search but this was the only thread that came up. I'm really looking forward to this, thought the first season was really funny and loved the soundtrack too.

Agreed.

The ska & old time reggae music for the soundtrack was great.

I hope they retain it for series 2.
  • Options
    flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have started to show little trailers for this on ITV2 and are repeating Season 1 on Monday nights around 11pm. Must be coming soon...
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a trailer for series 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting. Come on ITV!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Noticed the repeats, didn't know series 2 was in the offing though.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trail showed Jim Rosenthal as a chariot race commentator. His son Tom plays Marcus.
  • Options
    halifaxtownfanhalifaxtownfan Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Sad to hear that Stylax isn't returning for the fourth series!