Deeply unfashionable singers and groups

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Cliff Richard must be the obvious one, since he came out as a Christian in the eartly sixties it was considered most unhip to own a Cliff record or admit to liking him, yet he continued to have massive hits well into the nineties. Also Status Quo, the trendies despise them with a passion, yet they were a massive success for twenty years and the fans seemed to see the hatred towards their band as a badge of courage.
On the solo singer front well known Tory voter and martial artist Lynsey de Paul seems to be a no go area for most radio stations these days, even if at one time Ed Stewart couldn't play enough of Won't Somebody Dance With Me, probably because he appeared on the single.

Comments

• MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do love her but Kylie
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Daniel O'Donnell. He is the naffest singer ever, even more so than Cliff Richard. The grannies love him but what is the appeal of the guy? He has all the personality of a cucumber. Definitely not fashionable or cool in any way. And just so you know, I am in no way a fan. I can't stand him.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daniel O'Donnell

Edit: Me and cnbcwatcher posted the same name at the same time :p
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kenny G, Michael Buble, Michael Bolton, Englebert Humperdink.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From my youth Andy Stewart and Jimmy Shand, even most people in Scotland would run a mile from this pair. I am a soldier, a Scottish soldier, nooooo!!1
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Gary Glitter
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celine Dion, Jane MacDonald, Donny Osmond, Barry Manilow...
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nickelback
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I love them I know a lot of rock fans completely detest Coldplay calling them bedwetters, messianic, fake etc.. same to a lesser extent with the likes of Travis, Keane and Snow Patrol.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Pigeon Detectives is always my go-to answer for this. Seemed like a weak copy of whatever came before, after, and at the same time. I'd also suggest most X Factor winners and any young-boy singers on X Factor who then try and shell out an album.

Also The Saturdays and to a lesser extent, The Wanted. I've never heard anybody define themself as a Wanted or a Saturdays fan, even amongst wee children who are probably a swathe of their target market. Moreover they've always seemed, even for pop, very much second-fiddle to whoever else is about in that genre/other pop groups etc.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daniel O'Donnell. He is the naffest singer ever, even more so than Cliff Richard. The grannies love him but what is the appeal of the guy? He has all the personality of a cucumber. Definitely not fashionable or cool in any way. And just so you know, I am in no way a fan. I can't stand him.

He's got no willy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and of course who can forget Toploader and The Darkness! :D
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Collins has always been uncool in this country, but isn't he surprisingly popular among hip hop artists in America?
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

I'd question the inclusion of Michael Buble. I can't stand him myself, but nearly everyone else I know, from all generations, loves him and are not afraid to admit it.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

Id exclude Michael Buble. OK hes not cool but hes popular with older women & being a fan of him is no shame in their demographic. He gets regularly played on some radio stations unlike Cliff who everyone seems to ignore.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amongst rock fans definitely Nicelback and Creed. I quite like them though!

Status Quo as well, amongst the older rockers.

Scouting for Girls, James Blunt, David Gray and Moby are more uncool acts
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I like some of their music, but Dire Straits have always had a rep as "a dad's band".
    Alexei Sayle summed up the view of many rock fans about Mark Knopfler & co:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPUeB2ZqQU
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like some of their music, but Dire Straits have always had a rep as "a dad's band".
    Alexei Sayle summed up the view of many rock fans about Mark Knopfler & co:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPUeB2ZqQU

Level 42 another untrendy band from that period. Love Living in the Family, in particular, though.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me probably Cliff as you said OP, but also Elton, Cher, Celine, Phil Collins, Nickelback and to a lesser extent people like Tulisa, Dappy etc.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    For me probably Cliff as you said OP, but also Elton, Cher, Celine, Phil Collins, Nickelback and to a lesser extent people like Tulisa, Dappy etc.

Creed are often lumped with Nickelback and Limp Bizkit as poorly-regarded
    rock bands.

Evanescence aren't too popular either ( Lacuna Coil fans accused
    Evanescence of ripping off the former's music and image , even though the
    two bands appeared around the same time).
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bon Jovi
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Level 42 another untrendy band from that period. Love Living in the Family, in particular, though.

Yet they still sell out their tours even now. I don't think they're uncool but they are definitely a South of Watford sort of band
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Flock of Seagulls were mocked even by devotees of synth pop. Actually Wishing and I Ran were good records.
    Also Lynsey de Paul was one who always got a lot of stick, being regarded as a posh girl singing twee songs about being ignored at a disco and entering Eurovision.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Bon Jovi

Yes, very true.

I think Keep the Faith is an excellent album though.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    James blunt.